DVD Talk
Actors/Actresses who you thought would become big stars but never did [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Actors/Actresses who you thought would become big stars but never did

Perkinsun Dzees
10-09-04, 07:10 AM
Actors/Actresses who you thought would become big stars but never did

Bridget Fonda
Had a decent run there for awhile, but now seems to have faded away.

Rebecca Gayheart
Thought she was the best thing about Urban Legend, but aside from running over people, what has she done lately?

Rachael Leigh Cook
Once upon a time she was all that, but her career seems to have gone in the toilet with one crummy movie after another.

Skeet Ulrich
Whatever happened to this guy?

Scott Wolf
From Party of Five to White Squall to...Everwood?

Fok
10-09-04, 11:26 AM
Mark Hamil.......although he seems to be doing okay I suppose.

B.A.
10-09-04, 01:32 PM
Jan Michael Vincent

Michael Corvin
10-09-04, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Perkinsun Dzees

Skeet Ulrich
Whatever happened to this guy?

When Scream was big he said he never wanted to be an actor. Said in interviews he would ride it though a few films, makes some dough and do what he really wanted to do in life.

Why I remember that interview is beyond me.

SuperJim88
10-10-04, 12:12 AM
Maura Tierney

Spritle
10-10-04, 12:40 AM
John Leguizamo
Frank Whaley

Mondo Kane
10-10-04, 12:52 AM
Terrence D. Howard

After seeing him in The Best Man, I thought he would get some leading-man status afterwards. Has only been stuck to supporting roles since then (Besides TV's King of the World (http://imdb.com/title/tt0219857/), on which one could say he was miscast) maybe the upcoming Ray might be his second chance to get noticed.

marty888
10-10-04, 09:00 AM
After seeing John Carpenter's <i>They Live</i> I was sure that <b>MEG FOSTER</b> would be a major star - she reminded me in many ways of Lauren Bacall.

But it never happened ...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001236/

Michael Corvin
10-10-04, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SuperJim88
Maura Tierney

Last time I checked she is one of 3 major characters on ER. After Wyle leaves she may be at the forefront. That is a big deal. Unless of course you were hoping she would turn into a movie star.

Groucho
10-10-04, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Rebecca Gayheart
Thought she was the best thing about Urban Legend, but aside from running over people, what has she done lately?Television. She was a regular for a while on Dead Like Me, and more recently she appeared on nip/tuck.

flixtime
10-10-04, 11:03 AM
Always kinda rooted for Jason Patric to achieve the A-list status of the likes of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. Liked his work in "Rush", "Geronimo", "The Beast", "Sleepers", "The Journey of August King", and I even enjoyed "Speed 2".

Ditto Aidan Quinn. Would like to seem him in more "big" movies. Really enjoyed his work in "Legends of the Fall" and "Michael Collins".

Wouldn't have minded at all if Jeremy Irons had a more prestigious filmography.

Also a big favorite is Liam Neeson. Had a nice run in the mid-90's with "Schindler's List", "Rob Roy", "Michael Collins", and "Les Miserables". I sincerely wish that the upcoming "Kinsey" get Neeson back in the spotlight.

I understand the above have all had respectable careers but I feel they've fallen short of the long-term A-list status (such as Hanks, Gibson, Denzel, etc.) I'd hoped for them.

movielib
10-10-04, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Last time I checked she is one of 3 major characters on ER. After Wyle leaves she may be at the forefront. That is a big deal. Unless of course you were hoping she would turn into a movie star.
There's too much Maura Tierny on ER, especially when her "mother" and/or "brother" are on. My wife and I have been calling it "The Abby Show" for a couple years.

movielib
10-10-04, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Groucho
Television. She was a regular for a while on Dead Like Me, and more recently she appeared on nip/tuck.
Unfortunately she was a regular on Dead Like Me for only the first five episodes.

I miss Betty. :(

majorjoe23
10-10-04, 03:44 PM
I always thought Matthew McConaughey would go on to big things.

SuperJim88
10-10-04, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Michael Corvin

Then maybe what should've be included with this thread to began with is a standardize definition of "big star". Cause obviously this is the problem we have here, my definition isn't matching up with yours.

devilshalo
10-10-04, 04:24 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/the_terminator/_group_photos/linda_hamilton1.jpg

devilshalo
10-10-04, 04:28 PM
http://www.omelete.com.br/imagens/televisao/news/series/magnum.jpg

Kevin Phillips
10-10-04, 05:00 PM
Annabeth Gish.

I saw her in Mystic Pizza. She's done a few movie roles since, and also a bunch of made-for-TV stuff, but didn't hit the big-time.

BigDan
10-10-04, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by SuperJim88
Then maybe what should've be included with this thread to began with is a standardize definition of "big star". Cause obviously this is the problem we have here, my definition isn't matching up with yours.

To me, a "big star" is someone the average person on the street would know by name (not a perfect definition, of course).

Trigger
10-10-04, 05:05 PM
Jude Law - it's like he did that one movie with Ethan Hawk and then disappeared off the face of the earth. It's as though he's not in every single movie coming out over the next 2 years or something.

Charlie Goose
10-10-04, 06:34 PM
Meredith Salenger.
She was kind of high profile in the late 80s, starring in movies like The Kiss. Dream a Little Dream, The Journey of Natty Gann, A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon, among others. She is startlingly beautiful, one of the few actresses that I would label breath-taking. Plus, she is a decent actress and always had a certain freshness. I always thought she was on her way to huge stardom, but it hasn't yet happened.

Groucho
10-10-04, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by movielib
I miss Betty. :( I prefer Daisy. Well, second season Daisy where she has her own character and lines (instead of Betty's lines with a few blowjob comments thrown in).

Maxflier
10-10-04, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by majorjoe23
I always thought Matthew McConaughey would go on to big things.

Don't give up on Mr. McConaughey just yet.

movielib
10-10-04, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
I prefer Daisy. Well, second season Daisy where she has her own character and lines (instead of Betty's lines with a few blowjob comments thrown in).
I could live with both.

Stillwater
10-10-04, 11:30 PM
- Moira Kelly and D.B. Sweeney

After THE CUTTING EDGE, I figured it was only a matter of time before these two became stars, but neither could ever find that breakout role. Now they seem relegated to TV work.

- Mia Sara

Made a big impression in FERRIS BUELLER then starred opposite Tom Cruise in LEGEND, but never did much of note after that. I knew her career was over when she played second fiddle to Jean Claude Van Damme in TIMECOP.

- Cynthia Gibb

Starred in a bunch of 80s flicks (YOUNGBLOOD, JACK'S BACK, MODERN GIRLS, SHORT CIRCUIT 2) then had a short-lived TV series and portrayed Karen Carpenter before disappearing in the TV wasteland. Her career also seemed to tank after starring in a Jean Claude Van Damme movie.

- Rosanna Arquette

Another casualty of the Van Damme syndrome.

- David Keith

A good actor who had a brief fling with leading man status (LORDS OF DISCIPLINE, WHITE OF THE EYE) but never really caught on. Now he's relegated to small roles in crap like RAISE YOUR VOICE.

- Matthew Modine

Started off great with MARRIED TO THE MOB, but I don't think anybody could take him seriously after CUTTHROAT ISLAND.

Supermallet
10-10-04, 11:38 PM
Just some thoughts on ones people had already mentioned:

Rosanna Arquette - I've always thought she was beautiful and a great actress. Now she's doing straight-to-TV shit. It's a damn shame.

Jeremy Irons - What? Jeremy Irons may not have the name and face recognition of Tom Cruise, but most people know who he is. And a more prestigious filmography? Um...Brideshead Revisited, Dead Ringers, The Mission, Reversal of Fortune, Kafka, M. Butterfly, Die Hard With A Vengeance...yeah, he's had a real bad run of things. Sure, he's done some duds, but so do most actors.

Liam Neeson - Again, what? My comments about Irons apply to him as well.

Meg Foster - I thought she was easily the worst part of They Live. She had the most monotone and emotionless delivery I've ever seen. Half the world in that movie might be an alien, but she's a robot.

tsohg
10-11-04, 12:07 AM
Don Cheadle I have been waiting on him to get a headlining role in a major picture since I saw him in Devil in a Blue Dress.

tanman
10-11-04, 01:27 AM
I really thought Heath Ledger would have had a bigger career by now. I think after A knights tale everyone thought he would be the next big box office draw.

VJACK
10-11-04, 09:47 AM
I always thought Andy Garcia would break out after The Untouchables and Godfather III.

King Jaspo
10-11-04, 01:14 PM
Tamlyn Tomita - Saw her in "Come See The Paradise". Amazing screen prescence. She now seems to be a choice for small parts in Sci-Fi movies. Remember the Babylon5 pilot. What a waste of talent.

Janine Turner - Poof !!!

Guy Madison - Never quite made it past Disney.

Richard Dean Anderson - From one crappy show to another. I remember him on General Hospital. I thought then he had potential.

Fred Grandy - Doh !!!

UAIOE
10-12-04, 02:34 AM
FRENCH STEWART!

j/k ;)

Originally posted by devilshalo
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/the_terminator/_group_photos/linda_hamilton1.jpg

I always wondered why Michael Biehn never became a big star.

Originally posted by devilshalo
http://www.omelete.com.br/imagens/televisao/news/series/magnum.jpg

Well...he had "3 Men and a Baby" :D

Magnum P.I. still rules though.

Rivero
10-12-04, 02:55 AM
http://yuchtar.users4.50megs.com/Gallery/Bruce_aod.jpg

Come on Raimi, give this man the breakout role he deserves godammit.

jessecrx
10-12-04, 11:54 AM
Who is the black actor who comes out on ER and also came out on Glory(the educated northern black man). I have always liked him and thought he was a very solid actor.

John Lithgow - I really like him in all his work and I wish he would do more....he's somewhat big but not as big as he could be.

The Mexican Assasin in Desperado...the one with the knives. I like him alot too....

Rivero
10-12-04, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by jessecrx
Who is the black actor who comes out on ER and also came out on Glory(the educated northern black man). I have always liked him and thought he was a very solid actor.

The Mexican Assasin in Desperado...the one with the knives. I like him alot too....

Andre Braugher is the guy from Glory and Homicide: Life on the Street.

The Assassin in Desperado is Danny Trejo.

tofu
10-12-04, 12:18 PM
Marisa Tomei. She won the oscar and then she just got stuck with or chose to only do supporting roles. I thought she was going to be the next $20 million actress.

Angela Bassett. Vampire in Brooklyn probably killed her career.

Brain Stew
10-12-04, 12:50 PM
Crispin Glover

I guess I bet on the wrong horse kids.

uli2000
10-12-04, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by tsohg
Don Cheadle I have been waiting on him to get a headlining role in a major picture since I saw him in Devil in a Blue Dress.

my choice for actor. For actress, Id go with Clair Fourlani

devilshalo
10-12-04, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by UAIOE
Well...he had "3 Men and a Baby" :D

Magnum P.I. still rules though.

I'll always wonder what would have happened if CBS let him out of his Magnum contract to do Raiders of the Lost Ark. Would it be as successful? And who would have played Thomas Magnum and would that have run 8 seasons?

I never understood why Michael or Linda never hit it big outside of James Cameron films? Linda had a large following from 3 seasons of tv's Beauty and the Beast. And maybe Biehn's career got killed with Navy Seals. :p

Green Jello
10-12-04, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by King Jaspo
Janine Turner - Poof !!!

Hey, she didn't dissappear. She has that great commercial for those prescription eyedrops going. ;)

baracine
10-12-04, 01:54 PM
I nominate Laura Linney as Empress of the Universe.
http://www.kinoweb.de/film98/TrumanShow/pix/ts07.jpg

Marker
10-12-04, 03:28 PM
Andrew Dice Clay looked like he was going to make it big in the movies, but then Ford Fairlane tanked. Still one of my faves though.

ToddSm66
10-12-04, 03:31 PM
Thora Birch - Went from American Beauty and Ghost World to doing commercials for Eclipse gum. What happened there?

http://thora.org/images6A/ThoraEclipseAd_01b.jpg

nightmaster
10-12-04, 05:51 PM
Several good choices have already been mentioned. Until the past few years many of the brat packers never seemed to hit any sort of stride. As it is, Molly Ringwold was a actress I thought would have a bigger career. Kirstie Alley. Patrick Swayze. Patrick Dempsey.
I realise some of these actors have stayed reasonably busy with TV series and probably the theatre as well, but really have not had that ongoing star quality kind of career.

RagingBull80
10-12-04, 08:40 PM
Another vote for Michael Biehn. Why isn't he a major star, I mean he is the reason I own Navy Seals!!!

UAIOE
10-13-04, 01:24 AM
"Ohhhhh Navy Seals!"

redtornado
10-15-04, 06:57 PM
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0439479801/80s/pics/oscar/swgrey.jpg

baracine
10-15-04, 07:07 PM
I once saw Diana (Mommie Dearest) Scarwid's star rising in the East.
http://www.tribute.ca/tribute_objects/images/stars/diana_scarwid.jpg
I met Anjelica Huston on the street in Toronto this summer (she is directing a film) and I stuttered the usual "I love your work" platitude. She was very kind, natural and unassuming and thought nothing of shaking my hand. And I thought to myself: "Of all the talented actresses I could have run into, this is surely the nicest of the bunch." I know she's very established, but she deserves even more credit, in my book. And those eyes, sweet Jesus, them peepers...
http://www.geraldpeary.com/essays/abc/anjelica.jpg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0