TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Laguna Beach

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 02:05 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laguna Beach

I'm surprised there's not more talk about this show. I've been pretty impressed by it. I do have to wonder how real it is though. It seems completely real to me, but you have to wonder with all of those camera angles. They'll have long shots, medium shots and close-ups for one conversation. There's also times where it seems each person in a conversation will have their own camera focused on them even though there's several people involved with the conversation. They also have reverse angle shots. I guess those are easy enough to do as long as you angle it a bit, but the one I'm thinking of in particular involves one of them behind a counter. It seems like that wouldn't give much room to work with. I wonder if they ever have the kids do "scenes" multiple times. Or maybe the editors just take dialogue from different points in a conversation to create their own edited version of a coversation.

Shows like Amazing Race have always impressed me with how well the cameras can keep up with the contestants. Even though this show isn't the same thing, I do think it kind of takes reality shows to another level because it looks so good. Or maybe I'm just too into the show because I'm a sucker for teen shows with lots of music.
Old 10-07-04, 02:24 AM

Strongly disagree. Sorry, but the overly dramatic shots and forced MTV soundtrack completely ruin it for me. Like they thought they could take reality shows to another level, but by doing that they end up working against their medium and don't succeed at either level.

If I had to guess, I'd say they aren't doing scenes over, but they also aren't showing them sequentially. The reaction shots we see aren't likely related to the previous shot or the voice over.
Old 10-07-04, 10:16 AM

I've only caught 1 episode of this show, but I thought it was pretty good.

Is this a reality show? I thought it was just real good acting and writing. Everything felt so natural.
Old 10-07-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Only got turned on to this show because of Kristin's appearance on Kimmel and because Kevin and Bean (LA radio) were making fun of them.

It is a reality show, but shot in such a way that it looks like a regular show... "the real OC" indeed, even mimicing the opening shot over the water. They do a pretty good job of it too, and it's a pretty novel concept, at least to me.

I don't think they shoot things over, but I do think they carefully edit the show. Because they don't show the whole conversation, they're able to piece things together and have multiple shots, and also show different reaction shots to "tell the story" (a staple of reality TV). And I'm sure, when there's a dramatic moment coming up, they tell them to wait while they get ready for the shot (like when that one girl was opening her college acceptance letter)

And the people they picked are unbelievable. First of all, they're mostly rich, blonde, beautiful, white teens hanging out with each other. Kimmel mentioned that he never had kids like that when he went to highschool, and it really does seem like people that Hollywood would cast. But then we have classic reality TV moments where they show their stupidity:

Kristen's friend: man, you guys would have beautiful kids.
Kristen: yeah, he's gorgeous... he's so tanned.

Unfortunately, their highschool wouldn't grant them permission to shoot in the school.

I'll watch for the novelty of the concept. Still, if I didn't know the concept behind the show, I'd dismiss it as a stupid teen drama.
Old 10-07-04, 01:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I really think this is one of the worst shows ever put on the air. (and that's saying alot considering alot of the garbage that's getting put out these days) Sadly, I've watched the last 2 episodes out of morbid curiosity. If this is what today's kids really act like, I'm going to have to reconsider having kids!
Old 10-07-04, 02:26 PM
Banned

seems too fake for me.
Old 10-07-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never even heard of the show. That's odd.
Old 10-07-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Silliness. Par for the course for MTV.
Old 10-21-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to bump this thread up because I was reminded of it when I posted in the Battle of the Sexes thread.

I actually like this show quite a bit, well at least for a reality show. It's not a good show by any means, but I find it enjoyable. I know it's set in California and the girls there are supposed to be exceptionally good looking, but holy hell we never had girls like that in my high school. LC is amazingly hot.
Old 10-21-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I'm not trying to brag, but yeah, for whatever reason, there is a huge concentration of hot chicks all over the coastal areas of Orange County - I grew up in Corona Del Mar, and even the smart girls are hot - and the dumb ones, really hot. This was true back when I was in school, and even more true today. I've been all over the world, and it sounds like a cliché, but nowhere have I seen women hotter than right here at home. Which ruins you when you go elsewhere - though East Coast women are much, much "cooler".

btw, this show is absolute shit.
Old 11-13-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like this show....

whens the dvd coming out
Old 11-13-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh wait!!!

i see the dvd is out...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...051006-3581732

Buzz kill,wrong show....
Old 11-13-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
^ that's hilarious, because here in Orange County, Laguna Beach is actually mostly known for it's large gay population.
Old 05-30-05, 06:01 PM

i just watched all 8 episodes this morning on MTV cuz they showed the reruns all back to back.. thought it was a decent show

LC is so hot
Old 05-31-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still think this show is pretty bad, but oddly entertaining. Somebody said the new season was supposed to start on May 5, but according to tvtome it doesn't start until July 25.
Old 05-31-05, 01:50 PM

kristen is pretty hot although very dumb
Old 06-01-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have an uncle that's moving to Laguna Beach. Hope he doesn't catch teh gay. Whenever I think about Orange County, I always think about that report I saw on tv on how mostly conservative Orange County has a highly secretive swinging community.

As far as the actual show, I just can't stand to see rich kids. I guess it's part jealousy and bitterness, but I just want to kill these young people.
Old 06-01-05, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repost!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...16#post6108816

Chris
Old 06-01-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally don't like it -- I don't buy that it's a "reality" show (at least not a pure reality show), and I don't like that fact that it tries to be one.

But some of the chicks are yummy.