Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD transfer "switching modes" - Can someone explain?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

I was watching Ginger Snaps: Unleashed and, on a number of occasions, noticed motion artefacts on my DLP tv. I looked for reviews online and found this:

Also, as was the case with May, another Lions Gate release, the transfer periodically switches into interlaced mode, lessening the level of detail and creating some annoying motion jitters on progressive scan equipment.
Why does the transfer switch from progressive to interlaced mode? I guess I don't understand how, technically this can happen. Anyone care to explain without getting too technical?
Old 10-07-04, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very generalized and simplified version:

The encoder being used typically mistags some frames as video or film when they are actually the opposite. The PS player in question has a poor deinterlacer and gets tripped up, treating the video frames as film or vice versa. Best remedied by buying a proper dvd player, one that features a DCDI or Silicone Images deinterlacer. Authoring/encoding issues of this highlight just how many progressive scan players are junk, IMHO.
Old 10-07-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow. I've never heard of this before. I love learning new things
Old 10-07-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Furious
A very generalized and simplified version:

The encoder being used typically mistags some frames as video or film when they are actually the opposite. The PS player in question has a poor deinterlacer and gets tripped up, treating the video frames as film or vice versa. Best remedied by buying a proper dvd player, one that features a DCDI or Silicone Images deinterlacer. Authoring/encoding issues of this highlight just how many progressive scan players are junk, IMHO.
The encoder used to make the transfer? So it's a combination of a poor transfer and poor DVD player?
Old 10-07-04, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, that's an easy way of stating the issue. Most cheap progressive players are flag based and only do what the flag's tell them to do, so if the flags are incorrect it will comb as it will try to combine the wrong frames. It's easier to think of the deinterlacing as working via a regular repeating pattern. When something gets thrown into the pattern or otherwise disrupts it, the deinterlacer will likely trip up. This is why many of us spend the extra to get a quality player. It's not necessarily for a marked improvement in what you do see, it's to make sure certain things aren't seen.
Old 10-07-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Furious, thanks for the info. Now that I have a new DLP tv, I think I'll keep my LG player as my region-free player and get a better player for R1 discs.