Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

This week's listening pile (10.6 and beyond)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

So, what're you listening to? No question this week, so the usual comments on your listening will suffice.

Sharlock Poems - "The Movement" This just came in the mail 2 minutes ago, so I have no idea how it sounds. He's a great MC and one of the more talented current/past members of the L.A. Symphony crew (Pigeon John being the best).

The Clash - "London Calling (Deluxe Edition)" My all-time favorite album gets the treatment it deserves. The Vanilla Tapes were rough (as expected), but good. I'm going to pop in the DVD shortly.

Fatboy Slim - "Palookaville" I'm partying like it's 1999 with this one. The ever-populist Cook delivers again. I think it's pretty solid. Love the song with Damon Albarn and Lateef's great (as usual). The cover of "The Joker" (w/ Bootsy Collins) is fun. (This came with an Astralwerks sampler that I have yet to listen to)

The Prodigy - "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" Again, it's like 1999. I really loved the Big Beat scene - shame it had to die. This is the kind of album where the first track ("Spitfire") is so good, I keep on going back to it rather than let the album proceed.

v/a - "Garden State" soundtrack Haven't listened to it yet, but the movie was one of my favorites of the year.

John Wesley Harding - "The Confessions of St. Ace" and "Awake" Two excellent albums from a singer-songwriter that truly deserves to be bigger. He puts on a very entertaining live show.

Brian Wilson - "Smile" This is shaping up to be a classic to me.

Last edited by DJLinus; 10-06-04 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interpol - Antics I've come around from being disappointed into really getting into this one, although admittedly it has taken a half dozen full album listens. Still though I can't imagine that I will ever love it any more than their debut.

Clinic - Winchester Cathedral This one I have given the benefit of the doubt of quite a few listens. Besides the opening track, everything else just comes off as mediocre.

Jimmy Eat World - Futures Although I think some people on this board hold derision for this band, I'm a bit partial to them. This one I think is better than Bleed American in that I feel it's strayed a bit past the pop leanings that began there. And I really liked BA despite its pop-ish-ness. This is emotional music to me without being 'emo' or faux pop-punk and that's something I like.

Fatboy Slim - Palookaville Once again as with Prodigy's Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned, I felt like I've outgrown this music. In my mid-early 20s it rocked, now I'm 30 and it's coming off as passé. It's not bad, I'm just bored with it.

Tim Booth - Bone If anyone remembers and enjoy James, they'll enjoy Booth's 2nd solo effort.

Social Distortion - Sex, Love & Rock-n-Roll Been gone so long and haven't missed a beat, I love this one.

Luna - Rendezvous One of my favorite bands and happy with all their albums through their previous effort Romantica, I've only listened to this once and was disappointed, more tracks seemed to be down-tempo than usual. One of the standout tracks, "Astronaut" is even a rework from their EP Close the Cover Before Striking. Although I really need to listen to this more before I can say much more.

Last edited by jarsim; 10-06-04 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

De La Soul - The Grind Date my favorite rap group is back with their best album since Stakes is High. It's been getting 90% of my listening in the car for the last 3 weeks

DJ Green Lantern/Beastie Boys - New York State of Mind The evil genius strikes again with another dope mix album

old school joint of the week:
EPMD - Strictly Business a rap classic, yet it was probably only the 6th or 7th best rap album that was released that year (1988)
Old 10-06-04, 03:20 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Korn: Greatest Hits
Green Day: American Idiot
Garden State: Sountrack
The Shins: Oh, Inverted World and Chutes To Narrow
Incubus: all their cds to get psyched for seeing them Monday.
Old 10-06-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Been buying a lot lately...

The Slip - Live, Falls River, MA (11/28/03)
The Slip - Aliveelectric
The Slip - Aliveacoustic
The Slip - Angels Come on Time
The Slip - Does
The Slip w/ Nathan Moore - Surprise Me, Mr. Davis
Green Day - American Idiot
Blues Explosion - Damage
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Phorce
Walking Concert - Run to Be Born
Camper Van Beethoven - New Roman Times
Brian Wilson - SMiLE
Los Amigos Invisibles - The Venezuelan Zinga Son Vol 1

Brief Impressions:
The Slip: Saw this band for the first time at the Austin City Limits Festival and was so impressed that I bought 3 of their albums immediately after the show was over. These guys are incredible. Indie rock songwriting with intricate jazz based improvisation. They could be called a "jamband" I suppose, but there's nothing remotely "hippie" about them. Just an incredible band that has been around for too long with little attention.

Green Day: Never was a huge GD fan, but this is a great record. One of the best of the year. Don't care for the title track too much, but the strength of the rest of the tracks more than makes up for it. Tracks 2, 3, and 4 are the best stuff I've ever heard from the band.

Blues Explosion: While I can safely say that this is far better than the horrible Plastic Fang and not as good as Extra Width or Orange, I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet otherwise.

SFA: Phantom Phorce is pretty good for a remix album. However, the between song narration gets old relatively quickly, and I'm not sure whether it will get a lot of repeat plays from me. The packaging sure is cool though.

Walking Concert: Decent pop with a rock edge. Didn't grab me much though.

CVB: I really like this disc. I think it's nearly as good as anything CVB's ever released and highly recommend it.

Brian Wilson: Excellent album, and it would be even without the 30 years of hype surrounding it.

Los Amigos Invisibles: Saw these guys at the ACL Fest as well. Loved them in concert. This album...not quite so much.
Old 10-06-04, 08:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Phorce (with bonus disc: Slow Life EP; the song "Lost Control" is simply amazing!)
Old 10-06-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

arcade fire: funeral
rogue wave: out of the shadow
interpol: antics
broken social scene: you forgot it in people (again)
les savy fav: inches (some more)
the sea and cake: nassau (again)
sonic youth: any of it...all the time...always in my shuffle
Old 10-07-04, 03:16 AM

Jimmy Eat World - Futures
Marilyn Manson - Lest We Forget
Rammstein - Reise Reise
Green Day - American Idiot
The Soundtracks Of Our Lives - Origin Vol.1
The Killers - Hot Fuss (maybe newcomers of the year, IMO)
Old 10-07-04, 07:08 AM

broken social scene: you forgot it in people (again)
me too. such a wonderful album.

interpol - antics (my god how I love this cd)
the radio dept. - lesser matters
the veils - runaway found
client - city
ambulance ltd - lp
the killers - hot fuss (brandon flowers' voice is a cross between rick witter and jaime harding which I love - reminds me of the days britpop was good... great cd)
the futureheads

I quite dislike the new Clinic, which is rare because I was pretty sure that it would grow on me, but no luck thus far.

Last edited by greeny; 10-07-04 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 08:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by greeny

the futureheads

funny, after reading a couple of reviews, this album really didn't sound like what it was being described as, needless to say, it really impressed me.
Old 10-07-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV on the Radio, "New Health Rock" cd single
Oneida, Enemy Hogs
Merzbow, Dharma
Blood Brothers, Crimes
Dosh, Pure Trash
Subtle, A New White
Pale Saints, Slow Buildings

"New Health Rock" is the most propulsive thing TV on the Radio has done yet. Enemy Hogs, the Oneida album, surprised me because I never would've made a Les Savy Fav/Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 connection to their last two albums. The music here is much more in step with punk than psych-rock, and it still rocks. My girlfriend said, "I don't know how you listen to this shit without having a nervous breakdown," when I played Merzbow for her. Crimes is sure to satisfy you if you already like the Blood Bros, but I'd rather just listen to the 22 leaked tracks. The Dosh album is totally sweet but not as totally sweet as the Naoise EP (which has an open shot at my top 10). Dosh is kinda like the clearest bridge between Tortoise and hip-hop. I actually haven't listened to the Subtle album yet but I will soon. One of these songs by the Pale Saints sounds like the Cranberries and it's okay but I sometimes think, "Man, this is some boring shit."

And for the record, I think that I might be the only person to find the Clinic record sweet and the Arcade Fire record unmemorable.
Old 10-07-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Musically, this week is all about The Shatner.
Old 10-07-04, 03:37 PM

Helix - Rockin' You For 30 Years
Alarm - Declaration
Enuff Z'Nuff - Favorites
Donnie Vie - Just Enough
Gary Moore - Power Of The Blues
Old 10-07-04, 06:16 PM

American Music Club - Love Songs for Patriots
The Blueskins - Word of Mouth
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Dolorean - Violence in the Snowy Fields
Ed Harcourt - Strangers
Robyn Hitchcock - Spooked
Mosquitos - Sunshine Barato
Saturday Looks Good to Me - Every Night
Super Furry Animals - The Man Don't Give A ***** (Live From London's Hammersmith Apollo)
Supergrass - I Should Coco
Wilco - The Wilco Book (went to the advanced signing at the MoMA's SoHo store the other day)
Old 10-07-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for some reason i have yet to get too into the Killers: hot fuss

...i feel like this album is too inconsistant. i dont know, i really like some of it and other songs i cant stand. it makes me ask, would people like it if they didnt sing with an accent? dont get me wrong...i like of a lot of brit bands but just cant get too into this (remember, i like some of it).

...maybe im too spoiled by 2 current releases that i cant get over (rogue wave and arcade fire).
Old 10-08-04, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by fallow
And for the record, I think that I might be the only person to find the Arcade Fire record unmemorable.
You are not alone, my internet friend. I, however, don't like the new Clinic album.