DVD Talk
Disney Developing Toy Story 3 & 4 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Disney Developing Toy Story 3 & 4

Get Me Coffee
10-06-04, 11:56 AM
Disney Developing Toy Story 3 & 4
Source: New York Newsday October 6, 2004

Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said yesterday that Walt Disney Pictures is working on two new sequels in the "Toy Story" series at the same time. "We're doing two 'Toy Stories' at once," Eisner said.

Toy Story, which came out in 1995, and 1999's Toy Story 2 were blockbuster film and merchandising hits for Pixar Animation Studios and for Disney. But their partnership is ending after two more films, giving Disney the right to make more sequels to its previous films.

A spokeswoman for Disney elaborated, saying, "They're working on different story ideas with the hopes there will be a 'Toy Story 3' and another after that."

============================================

God damn! You really have to hate Eisner after this! What a shit head! On the other hand it would be great to see Toy Story 3 under perform Pixars Toy Story 1 and 2, which just shows Disney can't tell a good story any longer.

tanman
10-06-04, 12:00 PM
No Pixar = NO WAY!!!

freudguy
10-06-04, 12:52 PM
I thought I had read on a news site a while back that Pixar & Disney had kissed and made up (to a certain degree). According to this, maybe not.

adamblast
10-06-04, 01:19 PM
Even when they were still corporate partners, it was understood that Disney would be going solo for Toy Story 3 & 4 -- they wanted exclusive rights to the characters.

While I wish DisneyCorp well in the long run, I hope all their computer stuff bombs. I will never forgive them (like they care! :)) for turning their backs on their own heritage and dismantling their domestic feature cartoon division. It was Disney's heart and soul--now it officially has none.

darqleo
10-06-04, 01:51 PM
Doesn't surprise. I mean they made Lion King 1 1/2 and Cinderalla 2 and Snow White 3 3/4......... okay I made that last one up.

Troy Stiffler
10-06-04, 02:08 PM
Straight. To. Video.

Fielding Mellish
10-06-04, 02:23 PM
This is the cinematic equivalent of necrophilia.

If Hanks and the Home Improvement guy have any sense, they'll stay a good distance away from the project(s).

shaun3000
10-06-04, 02:26 PM
It will most definitely suck.

costanza
10-06-04, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by troystiffler
Straight. To. Video.

indeed!

Big Worms
10-06-04, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by tanman
No Pixar = NO WAY!!!

Exactly!

Michael Corvin
10-06-04, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Fielding Mellish

If Hanks and the Home Improvement guy have any sense, they'll stay a good distance away from the project(s).

I agree. I hope Hanks and Allen don't touch it with a ten foot pole. Pixar is the heart of Toy Story. Not Disney.

Eisner is a money grubbing whore. Unfortunately these will be greenlighted before his exit.

j123vt_99
10-06-04, 02:48 PM
i thought there was at least one Toy Story that was straight to video already... or maybe it was just adventures of Buzz Lightyear?

Get Me Coffee
10-06-04, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by j123vt_99
i thought there was at least one Toy Story that was straight to video already... or maybe it was just adventures of Buzz Lightyear?

It wasn't CGI and rather unrelated to Toy Story.

j123vt_99
10-06-04, 03:20 PM
because Tim Allen's career is going well

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish

QuikSilver
10-06-04, 04:36 PM
This is a terrible idea.

jaeufraser
10-06-04, 04:38 PM

Well, it's not going that bad. He can always make another Santa Clause movie, which always seem to do well.

Hanks though, he can afford to do it. Well, they both can afford to skip it.

And, while some of the Disney CG stuff looks interesting, THIS should not happen. Stay away from Toy Story Disney! You didn't make it, you're not good at sequels, so don't bother!

Ugh.

PixyJunket
10-06-04, 05:04 PM
Boo!! Hiss!!

Jackskeleton
10-06-04, 05:11 PM

Well Toy Story 2 was suppose to be straight till video till they realized how good it was going to be.

calhoun07
10-06-04, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Well Toy Story 2 was suppose to be straight till video till they realized how good it was going to be.

because Pixar had a vision and a plan for a sequel and there was a reason for it to exist, unlike every other Di$ney sequel that has been made that exists only to capitalize and rape the memories of great characters.

I am sure any TS sequels they make will produce millions up on millions of dollars from the average consumer who will see it no matter what.

littlefuzzy
10-06-04, 08:44 PM
:(

Derrich
10-06-04, 09:19 PM
I dont see Hanks or Allen coming back for this. I expect it to be centerered around Cliff Clavin and Mr. Potato Head(gotta love product tie ins)

D

Jackskeleton
10-06-04, 10:52 PM
Why is there so many sad faces here? So they do it? So what? You don't have to watch this. I've gone for some time ignoring the spin off's that I've hated.

cross
10-07-04, 12:05 AM
I don't mind that they make a Toy Story 2.5 or 3 or whatever. As long it comes out in a box set so I can buy the first 2 without paying some outrageous OOP markup.

Get Me Coffee
10-07-04, 12:34 AM
Why is there so many sad faces here? So they do it? So what? You don't have to watch this. I've gone for some time ignoring the spin off's that I've hated.

Just one more :(

msdmoney
10-07-04, 12:45 AM
I would love to see Disney take this and make somthing great...but who am I kidding, I expect these will suck.

If Pixar decided to make another Toy Story and it sucked, oh well, but Disney taking this project from the creators who made two tremendous films, is just blasphemy.

ruddiger_718
10-07-04, 12:55 AM
BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Matthew Chmiel
10-07-04, 02:14 AM
So will it be in CGI or traditional 2D animation from Disney's television/home video department?

movieking
10-07-04, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Well, it's not going that bad. He can always make another Santa Clause movie, which always seem to do well.

While not one of the Santa Clause movies, he is starring in Christmas With The Kranks, which looks to be pretty big in November. It looks like he wants to "own" Christmas like Will Smith used to "own" July 4th.

dvd_talker
10-07-04, 01:39 PM
Homer: Hey, what about a prequel? Everybody loves prequels.

Gunshy
10-08-04, 01:30 AM
I'm :( but only because I just realized that the first Toy Story movie came out almost 10 years ago(!) and so I feel really old now. Poop.

:(

-Gunshy

uli2000
10-08-04, 03:14 AM
No Pixar = NO WAY!!!

I wish I could say that, but with two kids who worship Toy Story, Ill be picking them up.

Soapstreet
10-08-04, 05:26 AM
Toy Story will never go direct to video as long as it is Pixar or close. But cartoon will most definitley go direct.

Get Me Coffee
10-08-04, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by movieking
While not one of the Santa Clause movies, he is starring in Christmas With The Kranks, which looks to be pretty big in November. It looks like he wants to "own" Christmas like Will Smith used to "own" July 4th.

Plus those Santa Clause movies have all done well in BO#'s.

Falc04
10-09-04, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by jaeufraser

Galaxy Quest II

:up:

Rammsteinfan
10-09-04, 02:00 PM
My company is renovating an office for Disney in the LA/Anaheim area and the guy there told our tech that it was being redone for part of the Toy Story 3 crew...

Osiris
10-10-04, 09:56 PM
Maybe we can get another special edition with Jack Black

Trigger
10-10-04, 11:23 PM
Why is there so many sad faces here? So they do it? So what? You don't have to watch this. I've gone for some time ignoring the spin off's that I've hated. Paul... W.S... Anderson

thank you.

Iron_Giant
10-10-04, 11:59 PM
I heard that Hanks would not be apart of it if Pixar was not apart of it.

I will not see it if Pixar is not apart of it.

tanman
10-11-04, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by uli2000
I wish I could say that, but with two kids who worship Toy Story, Ill be picking them up.

Well unfortunately I can say that but I will probably eventually at least see it as well. It definately won't be with the same enthusiasm or money spending if it was Pixar who was producing this feature.

That is one reason why I dislike Disney so much. I love their movies, theme parks, characters, and products but I really hate their business practices and movies as of late. They really have lost their (for lack of a better term) heart and soul in recent years.

Fok
10-11-04, 01:03 AM
I hope its doesn't go straight to video, that means it will bee a shit movie.

Chrisedge
10-11-04, 05:03 PM
Remember, TS2 was supposed to be direct to video, until they realized how good it was, so D2V doesn't always mean BAD.

jaeufraser
10-11-04, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Chrisedge
Remember, TS2 was supposed to be direct to video, until they realized how good it was, so D2V doesn't always mean BAD.

Well, I'd say in general it does. More like excfeption to the rule if something is good. There are a few, I thought a couple of the Batman Animated movies were quite good. But with Toy Story, yes, it was supposed to be a D2V movie, but they changed that VERY early in the development, only after previewing a few test scenes. The movie we see was never really a D2V title. It's not like they made the movie then just changed the distribution channel, they revamped the entire production and of course made a much better movie than 99.99% of all D2V stuff. Toy Story 2 was a 90 million dollar movie also, hardly a budget for a D2V movie.

If TS3 and 4 were made D2V, I can imagine that the production values will be weaker and overall the talent behind it not the same. Even if Disney pumps the right budget into them, not having the creative talent behind them who made the first 2 great would be my biggest concern.

Michael Corvin
10-11-04, 06:17 PM

That is one reason why I dislike Disney so much. I love their movies, theme parks, characters, and products but I really hate their business practices and movies as of late. They really have lost their (for lack of a better term) heart and soul in recent years.

Well to be honest, it isn't Disney you hate then. It is Michael Eisner and his boardroom of monkeys... er.. yes men.

rennervision
10-11-04, 06:39 PM
Why is there so many sad faces here? So they do it? So what?

Because Pixar actually had an idea for a third and final Toy Story that would complete a grand story arc. But because of their strained relationship with Disney which all began (ironically) with the success of Toy Story 2 and Disney refusing to count it towards Pixar's contract - we will never get to see the conclusion of what would have been the greatest animated trilogy ever.

:( :( :(

msdmoney
10-12-04, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by rennervision
Because Pixar actually had an idea for a third and final Toy Story that would complete a grand story arc. But because of their strained relationship with Disney which all began (ironically) with the success of Toy Story 2 and Disney refusing to count it towards Pixar's contract - we will never get to see the conclusion of what would have been the greatest animated trilogy ever.

:( :( :(

Really, haven't heard of this, is there any info on their planned story?

rennervision
10-12-04, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by msdmoney
Really, haven't heard of this, is there any info on their planned story?

I do not know of any specifics. Just that Pixar had a really good idea for a third that expanded on ideas presented in Toy Story 2. They tried to use Toy Story 3 as a negotiating tool with Disney according to this link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/02/06/BU14654.DTL

According to earlier published reports, the tension mounted shortly after the release of "Toy Story 2" in 1999. Disney, pushing for a possible third installment in the "Toy Story" series, said that film would not count as part of the five-movie agreement.

Pixar, hoping to get out of its current contract, reportedly insisted "Toy Story 3" be considered one of the five. "Toy Story 3" has not been made.

There have been other hints about it on other websites. (Although this quote comes from the somewhat questionable Aint It Cool News, I have also heard these rumors elsewhere):

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=9841

Eisner makes it sound as though putting off Toy Story 3 was his idea. He says that after Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life, Pixar had a good idea for Toy Story 3, but he insisted that they pursue Lasseter's next original film. "Either choice would have been right," Eisner says, "but I didn't want to wait until 2008 for John's original idea. We have the right to do a sequel irrespective of the two deals. I don't need a new deal to make Toy Story 3. I can get five movies plus Toy Story 3."

The speculation with Eisner's decision above was that there would be more merchandising possibilities with an original idea rather than Toy Story 3, so they didn't want it to count as a part of Pixar's five-film contract.

Abob Teff
10-12-04, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by rennervision
we will never get to see the conclusion of what would have been the greatest animated trilogy ever.

Err . . . I thought that that was Star Wars . . . come on! You can't call what Hayden Christianson does "acting!" And that dialogue, it has to be animated! (Sorry, I hadn't seen a Lucas-bashing thread on here today.)

PixyJunket
10-12-04, 06:58 PM
Sad. So sad.

Michael Corvin
11-16-04, 04:53 PM
^

tanman
02-02-05, 12:59 AM
My company is renovating an office for Disney in the LA/Anaheim area and the guy there told our tech that it was being redone for part of the Toy Story 3 crew...

Correct.

Disney Building a Unit to Make Pixar Sequel Movies

Tue Feb 1, 4:54 PM ET

Add to My Yahoo! Movies - Reuters

By Peter Henderson

ORLANDO, Fla. (Reuters) - The Walt Disney Co. is building a new animation unit to create feature film sequels to the hits it made with Pixar Animation Studios, starting with a "Toy Story 3" feature film due by 2008, studio Chairman Dick Cook told Reuters on Tuesday.

Fans have wondered for years whether Disney would make the next "Toy Story" as a straight-to-DVD project, like follow-ups to Disney hits such as "Lion King."

But Cook said it would be a theatrical release.

Disney has the right to make sequels to films from the Pixar relationship, with which Pixar could cooperate or not.

Pixar has not shown interest thus far, but Disney is moving ahead with plans of its own.

Disney's "Toy Story" sequel will be built at a new division in Glendale, California, near the feature animation division's headquarters in Burbank, Cook said.

"It would be another unit," he said, adding that Disney was still deciding how many animators it would hire.

"They'll have individual projects in there, using the same technology and the same infrastructure that we have at the main location in feature animation, and it will primarily be doing sequels to Disney/Pixar films," he said.

Speaking to Wall Street analysts who were meeting with company executives at Walt Disney World, Cook said that feature animation planned to produce one major film each year, for release around summer or winter holidays.

Cook said the Pixar sequel planned for 2008 would not be the main Disney animated feature for that year.

Disney, best known for its hand-drawn style films, also showed analysts previews of "Chicken Little," it's first computer-animated feature.

Disney's feature animation division has been under fire in recent years as Disney cut jobs and restructured, turning to computer animation in the shadow of Pixar. The two studios will part ways after one more jointly produced film, "Cars."

"We're not falling on our swords anymore," Cook told analysts. "This is a new beginning for feature animation."

One investor gave Disney credit for putting feature animation back on its feet with "Chicken Little" and other original work that was previewed at the meeting.

*I love this next part.*

"Not everything is going to be wonderful, but my guess is this will be a credible departure from dependence on the Pixar situation," media investor Hal Vogel told Reuters at the conference.

*nothing like settling for mediocrity :rolleyes: *

Apparently they had reason to provide further information on TS3.

Disney posts strong earnings
Gains in cable operations and theme parks lead first-quarter growth.

Walt Disney Co. executives chose a resort called the Yacht and Beach Club on Monday to paint a sunny profit picture for Wall Street.

With analysts and investors gathered inside the Walt Disney World resort hotel, Disney executives announced that the company not only beat forecasts with a surprisingly strong 5 percent increase in fiscal first-quarter profit but remained on track to deliver double-digit growth the rest of the year.

All told, Disney earned $723 million, or 35 cents a share, in the quarter that ended Dec. 31, thanks largely to gains in its cable networks and theme parks. The results compared with $688 million, or 33 cents, earned a year earlier. Revenues increased 1.4 percent, to $8.67 billion.

"It is very gratifying to see the company's strong performance continue into the new fiscal year," Chief Executive Michael Eisner said.

Disney's quarterly numbers had been expected to fall short, in part because of difficult comparisons since the 2003 quarter included DVD sales from the blockbusters Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Instead, Disney easily beat the 29 cents-a-share consensus of analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call.

"The numbers are great," said Jessica Reif Cohen, a media and entertainment analyst with Merrill Lynch after listening to a nearly hourlong presentation in the Grand Harbor Ballroom by Disney's chief financial officer, Tom Staggs. "Clearly, things are going in their favor right now."

The earnings news helped kick-start the two-day conference on a high note, in stark contrast to a year earlier.

At that meeting, Disney's thunder was stolen when cable giant Comcast Corp. launched an unsolicited bid that dominated talk at the meeting. Disney at the time also faced a rebellion from shareholders who complained about lackluster long-term performance and weak stock price.

This year, Disney is enjoying a much improved outlook. The company's theme-parks chief, Jay Rasulo, told analysts that there should be a big lift this year from an 18-month-long companywide celebration of Disneyland's 50th anniversary.

"We believe this celebration will issue a powerful call to action to the millions of families who have made memories with us before, and to those families thinking of visiting us for the very first time," Rasulo said.

In Disney's first quarter, the biggest winner was its media division, where operating income rose 36 percent to $467 million. Gains at ESPN and improved ratings at the ABC Family Channel were largely responsible.

The shows that have led a turnaround at the ABC TV network, Lost and Desperate Housewives, did not yet boost the bottom line. Disney sold the bulk of its advertising for the shows in May, well before they emerged as breakout hits. The new shows are expected to boost advertising revenue this year, returning the network to profitability.

Parks and resorts, which includes Walt Disney World and California's Disneyland, also had a good quarter, with operating income rising 11 percent to $258 million. The parks benefited from higher Disney World attendance and higher ticket prices at Disneyland.

Disney's film studio unit saw its income fall 27 percent, to $333 million, despite strong box-office sales from Pixar's The Incredibles and National Treasure, because it lacked the DVD hits of a year earlier. Meanwhile, operating income at Disney's consumer-products unit, which includes products licensed to retailers, fell 3 percent to $231 million.

Disney shares rose 40 cents to $28.63 in New York Stock Exchange trading.

Separately, Disney's board of directors received a mixed report card from proxy advisory firm Glass Lewis, which is advising institutional investors on how to vote at the company's annual meeting this month.

Glass Lewis lauded the board for such actions as revamping executive pay, increasing disclosure and "taking some important steps to improve relations with shareholders." Yet it advised withholding votes for the board's chairman, former Sen. George Mitchell, questioning his autonomy by calling him Eisner's former "hired hand" and adviser.

Disney declined to comment.

Jepthah
02-02-05, 01:42 PM
It will be fun seeing Disney load that shotgun and fire down into its big, flappy mickey-feet in a whole new way. :lol:

Jon2
02-03-05, 04:41 AM
I keep reading about Disney's first computer animated film "Chicken Little." I've seen the trailer and I'm looking forward to it, but it won't be Disney's first computer animated film.

Dinosaur is Disney's first computer animated film. Yes, I know they filmed live action backgrounds for it, but there isn't a single shot in the entire film in which the background is live action with just computer generated dinos added in. The backgrounds were so altered and manipulated, that for all intents and purposes, they are computer generated.

What's ironic is that Disney disbanded the Dinosaur CGI crew and closed down the CGI facility they set up. What a bunch of maroons!

Cameron
02-03-05, 01:11 PM
mickey's twice upon a Xmas was a bit of a dry run i think as well..

wanted to see if they could transfer classic charachters to CG

It is no worse than a live action goofy in a costume bobbing his head while someone talks over the shot

again i say to disney......Why make history when you can change history

WOLFie
03-08-05, 01:54 AM
WOW just WOW. So many wanting Disney to fail. Well I for one want them to succeed. Disney was great before Pixar and they will be great after. I am pretty sure Disney still has some stuff up there sleeves to show what there made of after Pixar is no longer a part of the equation. Until then I see nothing wrong with them letting Pixar shine by pushing there films while at the same time bringing in the money. And some need to get over this hate for Eisner because he wouldnt sell is soul and Disney best interest to keep Pixar.

Daniel-A
03-08-05, 02:38 AM
Very informative thread. What I'm curious about though, is the 5-picture deal. By my count Cars makes 7 - TS1+2, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Monster's Inc., Cars.

It is a sad sad thing to see Disney try to muscle Pixar out of their work. I hope this bombs, and I wish Pixar had split the rights to the characters and movies.

jaeufraser
03-08-05, 02:44 AM
Very informative thread. What I'm curious about though, is the 5-picture deal. By my count Cars makes 7 - TS1+2, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Monster's Inc., Cars.

It is a sad sad thing to see Disney try to muscle Pixar out of their work. I hope this bombs, and I wish Pixar had split the rights to the characters and movies.

I believe Toy Story wasn't part of the deal, and that some of the bad blood came from Disney's hard line stance that Toy Story 2 would not count for the deal either (I think it stipulated that seqeuls dont' count).

Daniel-A
03-08-05, 02:53 AM
Well that's just garbage. From what people have been saying about cars I would have much rather taken the ending to the Toy Story Trilogy over that. Does Disney actually do anything for the films? Or are they purely there as a financer?

BizRodian
03-08-05, 03:08 AM
A few things Disney did, as much as I dislike them and am glad Pixar is free of them.

Toy Story was the first CG movie, it wasn't exactly risk free. Pixar and the way they worked, was hardly standard fare. They were nobodys at the time. Disney put out a lot of advertising and promotion, and got them big name voice actors. No one else could have done what they did.

Jay G.
03-08-05, 06:44 AM
WOW just WOW. So many wanting Disney to fail.
I don't think many of us want Disney to fail, at least at the Toy Story sequels. The sad truth is that many of us think they will fail though, as Disney has provided much evidence in the many, many awful sequels they have made of their films.
Well I for one want them to succeed. Disney was great before Pixar and they will be great after.
I agree, Disney was great. However, it's not like Pixar has been holding them back. Disney has been busing churning out uninspired sequels and underwhelming original features. They've had a few gems in recent years (Lilo and Stitch, Emperor's New Groove), but for the most part a sequel from Disney is something to be feared, not anticipated.

Disney could surprise us all and actually make something good. However, that is far from definate and actually seems unlikely.

Cameron
03-08-05, 09:08 AM
And some need to get over this hate for Eisner because he wouldnt sell is soul and Disney best interest to keep Pixar.

you should check your facts....they didn't want his soul...just a better deal than the 90/10 offer he was throwing out. I am glad he is out.

I don't want Disney to fail as much as I want it to be reborn. Walt Disney (the man) worked in innovation and original ways to tell a story. We now have rehashes of titles some 40 years gone. The 2-D animation department has been all but shut down, and though I am a fan of 3-d cg toons, I believe you have to keep making headway in the realm of 2-d animation, Instead of schilling second rate animation in direct to video sequals and spin off tv shows.

Michael Corvin
03-08-05, 10:19 AM
And some need to get over this hate for Eisner because he wouldnt sell is soul and Disney best interest to keep Pixar.

He sold his soul long ago, about 10 years ago, didn't you get the memo?
Who do you think started this wave of pissing on Walt's films? aka make a cheapquel of a classic feature straight to video, and the ma$$es will buy it and make me rich in the process? Eisner all but ripped out the soul of the Walt Disney Company, and is leaving it's rotting corpse next year. Toy Story 3 is just another stake in the heart of this once immortal company. Just browse all the articles at savedisney.com to see how he single-handedly dismantled this once great company.

Walt Disney Re-Birth 2006! :up:

Funny thing is that the Pixar films are more 'Disney' than anything Disney has done in recent years. This is a group of guys Walt would have kept on the payroll until the end of days. Like minded people with their love of storytelling and technological advances. Early Disney and Pixar are eerily familiar.

Everyone always says Lucas raped their childhood, but in all honesty, Eisner has done more raping than Michael Jackson at a slumber party.

pdinosaur
03-08-05, 10:35 AM
The 2-D animation department has been all but shut down, and though I am a fan of 3-d cg toons, I believe you have to keep making headway in the realm of 2-d animation, Instead of schilling second rate animation in direct to video sequals and spin off tv shows.

someone should tell asia that 2-d animation is dead. they're pouring millions into anime when clearly it's DOA.

silly disney. its not 2d animation thats dead, its your creative department's collective brain.

kms_md
03-08-05, 12:04 PM
Everyone always says Lucas raped their childhood, but in all honesty, Eisner has done more raping than Michael Jackson at a slumber party.

-eek-

PixyJunket
03-08-05, 12:51 PM
someone should tell asia that 2-d animation is dead. they're pouring millions into anime when clearly it's DOA.

silly disney. its not 2d animation thats dead, its your creative department's collective brain.Anime is a worse offender than (or at least on par with) Disney at rehashing ideas.

Daniel-A
03-08-05, 02:36 PM
Anime is a worse offender than (or at least on par with) Disney at rehashing ideas.Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a bad thing.

pdinosaur
03-08-05, 02:55 PM
Anime is a worse offender than (or at least on par with) Disney at rehashing ideas.

my point is that 2d animation isn't dead.

no matter how repetitive any medium or genre gets, there's still the potential for something to come along and wow.

as it is, disney is doing very little but paying hommage to the brilliance of disney. sequels to everything disney's already had success with (where's snow white and the eighth dwarf?) and developing amusement park rides into movies can only last so long.

disney is involved with pixar and studio ghibli if i recall and one relationship is ending. not knowing much about ghibli, it seems conceivable still that it might also develop dollar vision and want to dump disney too. then what?

what i've always wondered is what happened to tim rice and alan menken. i'd thought rice and menken were contracted, but they haven't done anything except theatrical stuff.

half the brilliance of the mermaid/aladdin/beast/lion king era was the music.

but make no mistake, pixar will fail. i love their success, but at some point it's gonna have to 'miss' on one of their films.

milo bloom
03-08-05, 03:17 PM
Everybody rises and falls, but I think what baffles so many people is that Disney and Pixar are contemporaries right now, and Disney is not learning from their partnership. And even if the story's not good, at least the craftmanship can be impressive. We watched the new Bambi DVD last night, and every frame of the movie is a love letter to the craft of visual storytelling. Even if you're coldhearted enough not to be moved by the story, the art itself should move you somewhat.

As for anime, sure they rehash ideas, but at least they try to put a spin on it each time around to make them unique.

Daniel-A
03-08-05, 04:35 PM
disney is involved with pixar and studio ghibli if i recall and one relationship is ending. not knowing much about ghibli, it seems conceivable still that it might also develop dollar vision and want to dump disney too. then what?I'm fairly sure Disney wanted the relationship with Ghibli more. They saw the value in what was happening with anime spreading across the globe and wanted it's own piece without doing the work themselves. While getting the DVDs would be harder were ghibli not involved with Disney I would rather they not be involved with the devil. Their English dubs while nice dubs, as far as dubs go, are just hurtful to the original pieces.

but make no mistake, pixar will fail. i love their success, but at some point it's gonna have to 'miss' on one of their films.From the sound of it, it looks like many people think Pixar (and Disney) will be dropping the ball on their last join venture - cars.

Jay G.
03-08-05, 04:53 PM
disney is involved with pixar and studio ghibli if i recall and one relationship is ending. not knowing much about ghibli, it seems conceivable still that it might also develop dollar vision and want to dump disney too.
Disney was the only major US distributor to agree not to alter the films without Ghibli's permission. Ghibli isn't interested in money as much as they are interested in preserving the integrity of their films.

Breakfast with Girls
03-08-05, 05:21 PM
Their English dubs while nice dubs, as far as dubs go, are just hurtful to the original pieces.You do realize that they're optional, don't you? That you have the option of viewing the films in either English or Japanese? There's nothing wrong with having a choice.

Iron_Giant
03-08-05, 05:35 PM
CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS did well:

Cost $60 million
Made $96,490,636 Worldwide

and the DVD will make even more money

PixyJunket
03-11-05, 04:46 PM
Ratzenberger turns down Toy Story 3

As expected, John Ratzenberger will not return to voice Hamm the Piggy Bank in Toy Story 3, should the sequel continue to develop without Pixar. "I'll only be involved in another Toy Story if Pixar is invovled", Ratzenberger tells IESB. "I'm a Pixar Guy... I actually got a Pixar tattoo on my back". He continues, "I've been in every Pixar film there is. I play on the Pixar softball team, I don't want to give up my position on first base". It has yet to be seen whether Tom Hanks and Tim Allen will return for the Pixar-less Toy Story 3, though they are both rumored to be returning.

http://www.iesb.net/

:banana:

pdinosaur
03-11-05, 04:51 PM
Disney was the only major US distributor to agree not to alter the films without Ghibli's permission.

no kidding?

huh. disney does do the right thing every once in a while ;)

PixyJunket
03-11-05, 05:03 PM
I'm fairly sure Disney wanted the relationship with Ghibli more. They saw the value in what was happening with anime spreading across the globe and wanted it's own piece without doing the work themselves. While getting the DVDs would be harder were ghibli not involved with Disney I would rather they not be involved with the devil.Please. If Disney just wanted a pice of the "anime pie" as you claim they're doing they could've easily picked up any of the 10,000 crap TV shows being shat at the market in full force on the cheap.

Their English dubs while nice dubs, as far as dubs go, are just hurtful to the original pieces.Sad. -ohbfrank-

PixyJunket
03-11-05, 05:13 PM
From the sound of it, it looks like many people think Pixar (and Disney) will be dropping the ball on their last join venture - cars.Yeah, I've heard this more than a few times already. Personally, I think it's a bit too early and we have too little information to really make that call yet. We've got a teaser trailer, but the last few Pixar teasers have all been footage created specifically for a teaser and have little to nothing to do with the movie other than giving you a peek of the characters.

The reason I'm not worried is that this is John Lasseter's movie. This guy seems to be directly channeling Walt's vision of storytelling through animation (alongside Miyazaki of course). I'd be totally shocked if he were to let anything short of pure greatness to have his name attached to as director.

Michael Corvin
03-11-05, 09:50 PM
Ratzenberger turns down Toy Story 3

As expected, John Ratzenberger will not return to voice Hamm the Piggy Bank in Toy Story 3, should the sequel continue to develop without Pixar. "I'll only be involved in another Toy Story if Pixar is invovled", Ratzenberger tells IESB. "I'm a Pixar Guy... I actually got a Pixar tattoo on my back". He continues, "I've been in every Pixar film there is. I play on the Pixar softball team, I don't want to give up my position on first base". It has yet to be seen whether Tom Hanks and Tim Allen will return for the Pixar-less Toy Story 3, though they are both rumored to be returning.

http://www.iesb.net/

:banana:

Solid news. Hopefully the rest of the cast won't be hard up for cash either. But methinks Tim Allen will be returning. I think Disney owns him.

Michael Corvin
03-14-05, 01:53 PM
A director has been found.

Bradley Raymond

Whose stellar resume includes the following:

Pocahontas 2
Hunchback of Notre Dame 2
Lion King 1 1/2
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas

At least they are going for quality for the sequel.

Iron_Giant
03-14-05, 02:00 PM
Has Disney ever had a great "xxx 2 or 3"?

Squirrel God
03-14-05, 02:10 PM
I've never "got" Disney. While there is obvious appeal for kids, what I despise about them is that there is so much restriction on the content in their movies. Something like The Lion King, which was virtually a stripped down Disney-fied version of Hamlet, contains virtually nothing of appeal to an adult audience. It's so sanitised that it comes across as superficial and puerile. Similarly with Disney characters - they lack depth and quirks in their personalities, so end up seeming so one-dimensional and stereotypical that they fail to captivate me. Yet, despite the sanitisation, and again taking The Lion King as an example, Disney have no problem showing Scar high up on a podium, looking down approvingly at a troop of marching warriors. You have to wonder why on earth Disney just didn't go the whole hog and give Scar a tiny lip moustache so that he could really look the part as the marchers pause to give him a quick 'Sieg Heil'! It's quite ironic.

When you watch a Pixar movie or something like Shrek from Dreamworks, you get scenes and lines that just leap out and wink at the adult audience. But Disney films just play entirely to children and forget about the adults sitting there watching the film with them.

The only animated movie that Disney made that even remotely kept my interest was Lilo & Stitch, as it tried to break out a little from the Disney mould. Even that had to be reigned in in the end though.

So, if Pixar ain't doing it, I ain't interested. Disney won't be able to stop themselves sanitising Toy Story and turning it into something that can only be appreciated by those who still dribble.

milo bloom
03-14-05, 05:50 PM
Lion King 1.5 was reasonably amusing for what it was, "Great, we're in the theater district!", and I haven't seen Lilo & Stitch yet (I thought the 2 disc SE would be out a lot quicker), but my wife and I continually quote The Emperor's New Groove to each other all the time. IMHO, it's feel and pace come quite close to a classis Looney Tune feature.

This TS3 deal sounds worse and worse every day.

Michael Corvin
03-14-05, 10:23 PM
more bad news:

from CNN:
The company, which owns the rights to the Pixar library, has announced plans for a "Toy Story 3" and plans to roll out sequels to "Finding Nemo," "Monsters," "The Incredibles" as well as "Cars."

So not only will the Toy Story franchise go in the crapper, Eisner plans to drag them all down. I think his whole goal is to "sulley" the Pixar name by the time they go solo.

BTW, I disagree about Lion King completely, Squirrel god.

ctyankee
03-17-05, 09:23 AM
I don't really get the logic of all this ...

So we want Di$ney to fail as a computer animation shop because why ... we want fewer options of animated feature films to attend?

Pixar wanting percentage of the rights to Toy Story is not much different from a star athlete who wants to renegotiate the contract he was perfectly happy with at the time. Regardless of whether you side with the athlete or management .... it's all about the money.

Don't get me wrong I dislike what Di$ney has become too but I also accept the reality of things. There is no way on God's green earth that feature hand drawn cel animation has a future if Walt Disney was reborn tomorrow. It's too costly and it takes too many years to create the films.

Add to that the fact that creative talent was already bailing from old school approaches (as no one wants to be found obsolete) and new talent comes into the market knowing computer assisted graphic arts and where does that leave Di$ney feature animation? Unable to continue to make Lion King sort of films (ongoing) if they wanted to.

Pixar appears to have the ability to turn out a new feature every 18 months ... who knows they may be able to approach doing that every 12 months ... how is any investor in his right mind going to suggest financing and creating a full bore Di$ney top-of-the-line animated film compared to trying to adopt the Pixar model?

Pixar's success is based on creating terrific stories with robust and interesting characters. If Di$ney hires some great story tellers they can do the same thing. If not, expect more Cinderella 3 1/2 - The Slipper's Revenge. ;)

darkhawk
03-17-05, 09:31 AM
They say with Eisner going, Disney is trying and might have a slim chance of getting Pixar to stay

aktick
03-17-05, 09:40 AM
Yeah, they're trying, they know what they'll be losing out on... article (http://quotes.fool.com/custom/fool/html-news.asp?guid={9E893C06-C17F-4D55-AFBE-0128596AE905}&currticker=dis&symbols=dis&nx=38426.8015509259-833173654&bx=)

Big Worms
03-17-05, 09:55 AM
They say with Eisner going, Disney is trying and might have a slim chance of getting Pixar to stay
The problem is that Disney wants to go forward with Toy Story 3 without Pixar.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/orl-bizpixar16031605mar16,0,6003045.story?coll=sfla-business-headlines

Michael Corvin
03-17-05, 10:32 AM
I don't really get the logic of all this ...

So we want Di$ney to fail as a computer animation shop because why ... we want fewer options of animated feature films to attend?

No, we want them to fail because of this(from linked article above):
Making sequels to such enormously popular movies just makes good business sense.

It is all about the money, not creativity and originality which used to be sacred to Disney company years ago. That good ol Eisner tradition lives on. At least Pixar lives and breathes what Disney used to embody. I say let em fail and then they will be begging for that 80-20 deal with Pixar.

What will make or break this film(success-wise) will be Tom Hanks and Tim Allen.

Daniel-A
03-17-05, 12:39 PM
Has Disney ever had a great "xxx 2 or 3"?Return to Neverland. Not exactly a 2 I guess, but it is a sequel to a classic. I enjoyed it.

bboisvert
03-17-05, 01:37 PM
Return to Neverland. Not exactly a 2 I guess, but it is a sequel to a classic. I enjoyed it.

I respect your personal opinion and all, but... strong disagreement.

Daniel-A
03-17-05, 01:38 PM
I respect your personal opinion and all, but... strong disagreement.:( Were there better ones? Also was Lion King 1/2 bad? I thought it had some good publicity.

jeffkjoe
03-17-05, 01:47 PM
The Rescuers Down Under had beautiful animaton and a solid premise - it didn't seem as gratuitous as the Disney sequels of today.

Matthew Chmiel
03-17-05, 02:25 PM
The Rescuers Down Under had beautiful animaton and a solid premise - it didn't seem as gratuitous as the Disney sequels of today.
Yeah, but The Rescuers Down Under was done years before Disney jumped onto the direct-to-video sequel bandwagon. IIRC, Disney's first direct-to-video sequel was The Return of Jafar.

milo bloom
03-17-05, 03:26 PM
Pixar appears to have the ability to turn out a new feature every 18 months ... who knows they may be able to approach doing that every 12 months ...

I'm pretty sure the start to finish is still a few years, they just have so many in the pipeline now that they can come out every other year.

This is why movies like Shrek have so many quickly dated pop-culture references and why movies like Toy Story used all classic toys, or just archetypes of current toys that aren't quickly identifiable.

I noted it above too, but The Lion King 1 1/2 wasn't that bad. It gives some behind the scenes material without ruining too much mystery, and really riffs on itself more than anything.

Michael Corvin
04-11-05, 04:36 PM
Looks like all is not lost on the Disney/Pixar relationship. Here's hoping Iger and Jobs can pull something together. story (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0%2C1413%2C200~20950~2790247%2C00.html?tr=y&auid=801255)

Daniel-A
04-11-05, 09:19 PM
Looks like all is not lost on the Disney/Pixar relationship. Here's hoping Iger and Jobs can pull something together. story (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0%2C1413%2C200~20950~2790247%2C00.html?tr=y&auid=801255)
Thanks for the article. Jobs may do it again. Whatever it is.

riley_dude
04-12-05, 06:39 PM
God I hope he can. I think Eisner is the only one interested in seeing Direct to Video sequels.

nightwing82
04-13-05, 02:49 PM
Has Disney ever had a great "xxx 2 or 3"?

Aladdin 2 & 3 were very good. I haven't liked any other Disney sequels though.

Michael Corvin
07-05-05, 04:06 PM
Revived the other thread but this one may be more relevant. Couldn't find this thread at first. :)

In an article(about poor DVD sales of the Incredibles) in the USA Today over the weekend, Jobs reported that the re-opened talks are going well with the Disney company.

Hokeyboy
07-05-05, 04:25 PM
I would love to see Disney take this and make somthing great...but who am I kidding, I expect these will suck.

If Pixar decided to make another Toy Story and it sucked, oh well, but Disney taking this project from the creators who made two tremendous films, is just blasphemy.
Granted they weren't poor sales, they just didn't hit projections. Same thing happened with Shrek 2.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0