Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Helmet - Size Matters

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Helmet - Size Matters

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helmet - Size Matters

So...did anyone pick this up? I used to worship Helmet, and I had some working copies of the songs for the past 8 months, but only 6 of the songs I heard made it on to the disc...

anyways, I'm REALLY enjoying this CD.

Any other Helmet fans here?
Old 10-05-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never really got into them but I always liked their first single. I will have to check them out and see. Do they compare to anyone else out there as far as sound?
Old 10-05-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't imagine that they sound the same as they did in the previous incarnation. This line up has one original member (albeit the most important one in my opinion): guitarist-singer Page Hamilton.

The rest of the line up are "new", including John Tempesta on drums (formerly of White Zombie) and Frank Bella of Anthrax is the touring bassist (no word if the position is officially filled).

I've not heard this album, so I'm not sure how it compares to say..."Meantime" Helmet.
Old 10-05-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I want to say they still carry the same sound. The lineup does include Chris Traynor, a major contributor to their last album and live guitarist for the band since 1995...

There's no doubt the band has changed its sound some, even before the newest incarnation's lineup changes. Betty was starkly different from Meantime, and Aftertaste was a far cry from Betty.

I would say that this album is more Betty than Aftertaste, but still progressive. The production work is top notch (Charlie Clouser), Page sounds angry as ever, and the riffs are as heavy and thick as they were a decade ago. Bello and Tempesta are both good fits for Helmet.

I do kinda miss Henry Bogdan and John Stainer, the original bassist and drummer, but if you listened to the CD and didn't know about the lineup changes, you might not notice.
Old 10-06-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Helmet's first 2 albums, the others I only liked a couple of songs. Actually their "Best Of..." is enough Helmet for me, but I am interested in hearing this new album.
Old 10-06-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Listened to a clip of each song and I'm not impressed. But then again, I didn't like much after Meantime.