TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Benefactor 10/4/04

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Benefactor 10/4/04

10/4/04

Still, somewhat a silly show of "LOSER" where 2 teams had to go find the best male/female/kid to play for them in a game of "HORSE" (only Cuban calls is "LOSER"). Team beautiful did a good job on auditioning potential candidates while the other team just went on recommendation for the male and female, and only saw the kid in action. Team Beautiful squeaked out a win, barely.

Cuban offers money for one of the 3 on the losing team to drop themselves out of the game, while having already placed the name of the person Cuban wanted to see gone in in sealed envelope. Once the bribe got to $30,000, the Oprah fanboy took the money, but the software engineer (Spencer) was the name that Cuban had in the envelope.

Next, the 5 remaining had to split themselves up into teams of 2, and one person would be the odd person out. Spencer and the chick from the northeast (annoying/aggressive woman) formed a team, so it up to Team Beautiful to figure out how to form a team amongst themselves. They played Jenga, and Domenic got careless and caused the whole thing to fall as the game got harder.

And that was it.
Old 10-05-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Do you think that that Oprah fanboy will be on Oprah? They are the same network.

All I have to say is that this show is wayyyy more interesting than this season's Survivor!
Old 10-05-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't Oprah syndicated? I didn;t think she was part of a network

Originally posted by CPA-ESQ.
Do you think that that Oprah fanboy will be on Oprah? They are the same network.

All I have to say is that this show is wayyyy more interesting than this season's Survivor!
Old 10-05-04, 08:04 AM

It's almost the proverbial trainwreck for me...I can't stop watching. It is over the top..or should I say, Cuban is being overly dramatic. However the hook for me is seeing the contestants that I despise getting the axe. Although I am waiting to see the bostonite man-chick get the boot. She is amazingly self-centered, two-faced,obnoxious and oblivious. Cuban doesn't like her and I hope he finds a reason to give her the heave-ho. Damn flaming trainwreck.
Old 10-05-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt bad for the little 10 year old who missed the "R" shot. They really seemed to put a lot of pressure on him. I actually wonder if the shot rimmed out like they showed or if it completely missed and they decided to reshoot it.
Old 10-05-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by tofu
I felt bad for the little 10 year old who missed the "R" shot. They really seemed to put a lot of pressure on him. I actually wonder if the shot rimmed out like they showed or if it completely missed and they decided to reshoot it.
They definately decided to reshoot the shot... I bet that thing was not even close. More exciting for the viewers if it bounces back and forth on the basket and then goes out.
Old 10-05-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely found myself laughing at the editing. Cuban hits a free throw, Cuban hits a short-range jumper, Cuban shoots a 3-pointer, Cuban shoots a no-look shot and camera cuts to basket being made. Funny stuff.

Oddly, I find this show entertaining regardless of its silliness.

das
Old 10-05-04, 11:44 AM

Same here...I was wondering how many takes Cuban took...for the shots where the camera did not cut away.
Old 10-05-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I heard Cuban being interviewed on Mayhem in the AM on 790 The Zone this morning. It's funny when Cuban bags on Donald Trump. I also saw Cuban on the Howard Stern show from last week, pretty funny.

Can't believe how haggardly looking the blue team's female shooter was. Too much time in the sun without sunscreen.

Linda is a pro female football player. That's a scary idea.

Cuban also said that he had over $200,000 in the bag o' bribe, so Oprah Boy really shot himself in the foot by caving in after just $30,000.

Last edited by Patman; 10-05-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was thinking to myself that I'd hold out until $100,000 and then bail. I'd take $100,000 and my own wits over a 1/6 chance (compounded by 1/3 chance of elimination) at fitting Cuban's whim any day.

das
Old 10-05-04, 02:31 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

That would've been really boring if Cuban kept slowly upping the amount to 200k. Maybe it's just because they do the exact same thing on Big Brother, but I figured 30k was the highest he'd go. I guess they could always edit out the offers for the lower amounts if he kept going up. Or maybe he was smart enough to figure out that one of them would leave for 30k. If they were all adamant about staying maybe he would've gone 10, 50, 100.

I was really surprised he chose Spencer. He was the only one on his team that actually chose somebody he saw shoot. I guess you could say Spencer chose the player that lost the game for them, but that was a pretty hard shot for the kids.
Old 10-05-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i agree.. spencer found the rec center/gym... spencer hunted down the kid and found him.. through spencer, they got the chick... the other 2 got a guy who they only saw dribble and pretend to take a shot.
Old 10-05-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spencer got the woman player from a recommendation, he didn't see her play or shoot either.
Old 10-05-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but he did see the kid shoot, which was better than the manbeast who -- on the advice of Oprah's sport-phobic soldier -- found some guy who worked at a Foot Locker, watched him dribble for 3 seconds, noted that he follows through on his fake jump shot and asserted that he was a basketball god who would claw his way through a Vietcong prison camp to win her some money.

das
Old 10-05-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man, I took a look at this one again last night, but I just can't stand Cuban. He's totally full of himself and a huge dork. I just don't get the appeal. He seems to have a crush on the Rocker guy. That's the only reason I can think for him actually keeping that clown on the show.

I wish I didn't feel the need to see how it ends. I hate to leave things in the middle, but damn, Cuban just irks me the wrong way.