Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Drew Barrymore Choose or Lose MTV special?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-04, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone see this?

"I am so confused why young people don't vote."
Old 10-04-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i've just added it to my list of reasons drew barrymore is annoying
Old 10-04-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw her interview with Bill Maher. She claimed she didn't know what the electoral college was until she researched the subject.

This is something any highschool student would learn in civics class. But Drew Barrymore dropped out of school in 9th grade to pursue an acting career. According to IMDB she never completed high school. Granted she is cute, but during any candid interview, she comes across as the stereotypical dumb blonde. Shes twice married and divorced. Once to Tom Green of all people.

On the other hand, she earned $14M for Charles Angeles: Full Throttle. I guess she made the right decision.
Old 10-04-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pistol Pete
On the other hand, she earned $14M for Charles Angeles: Full Throttle. I guess she made the right decision.
Dumb and Rich or Smart and Poor.... that's a tough call.
Old 10-04-04, 08:22 PM
Cool New Member

I have not seen this. I have always had a bit of a crush on the girl. She was really hot in those Guess ads back in the early nineties.

But my opinion of her is getting worse and worse. I did see her on Politically Incorrect where they showed clips of her special. When she was talking about it she went on and on and her reasons for people to vote were far removed from the reality that I live in.

I also saw her and Cameron Diaz on Oprah last week talking about voting. Cameron started crying and was talking about how if you don't think it is okay for a woman to be raped then vote. Or something weird like that. I could not figure out what she was talking about. I though maybe she was referring to abortion?

Anyway, my opinion of those two "Angels" went down a notch or two this week. Wonder what Lucy Liu has to say on the matter?
Old 10-04-04, 08:27 PM

Taking the lump sum is always the right decision.
Old 10-04-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
What makes me sick about the Rock the vote, Choose or Loose and other campaigns like that are that they pretend to be all about voting whatever you believe but in truth they all have this underlying message......"vote, but vote Democrat/liberal only. If you vote anything else you're not cool". nudge nudge
Old 10-04-04, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But Drew Barrymore dropped out of school in 9th grade to pursue an acting career. According to IMDB she never completed high school.
So what?
Old 10-04-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I absoutely hate is the stupid Puff Daddy slogan.

Vote or Die.

Oh yeah. Sure.
Old 10-05-04, 01:17 AM
Banned

I thought I was the only one who thought what GIANTROBO said.
I will be voting for the 1st time this year and the only reason is to vote againest the guy MTV and the Hollywood liberals and those old farts touring want.
Old 10-05-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
....."vote, but vote Democrat/liberal only. If you vote anything else you're not cool". nudge nudge
And this is untrue?

Who's cooler? Eddie Vedder or Ted Nugent?

Very few people can pull off "cool" and "Republican" at the same time. It's against the laws of God, Man, and Nature.
Old 10-05-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What makes me sick about the Rock the vote, Choose or Loose and other campaigns like that are that they pretend to be all about voting whatever you believe but in truth they all have this underlying message......"vote, but vote Democrat/liberal only. If you vote anything else you're not cool". nudge nudge
Other people have voiced this opinion before. And oddly, of all people it was Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction .
Old 10-05-04, 08:49 AM

i feel the same way. its like they go as far as they can without actually saying "vote for John Kerry!!" and there is nothing wrong with that, they shouldn't be trying to hide it. but they know very well that if they said that, they would register alot less voters.

its really a ridiculous and self serving way for some celebrities to feel like they're "making a difference." and i'm not knocking everyone involved with these groups. i'm sure there are actually people involved that have good intentions, but the majority of them are just doing it to get their guy elected. does anyone honestly think that some of these organizations would exist if young people had more of a tendency to vote republican?

from a more personal experience, my sister tried to register to vote with one of these groups at her school, but her registration was not getting to the voter registration board. she tried 3 times registering with this same group, but her registration never seemed to get completed. when she told me she had been trying to register republican i told her to try again but register as a democrat. she did and what do you know, nows she's registered.

VOTE OR DIE!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-04, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
So what?
The point is that she is an uneducated, ill-informed person who would have known what the electoral college was if she had actually stayed in school.

I think if you do not understand the basics taught in a civics class, you have no place deciding who should run the country. Perhaps only people with a high-school diploma or equivelent should be allowed to vote.
Old 10-05-04, 03:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They had a funny piece on "The Daily Show" about the whole "Rock the Vote" thing. "You're cock-blocking the vote!"
Old 10-05-04, 05:09 PM

Right on.

Also, I think the whole "Rock the Vote" type thing is extremely misguided in that they make no real attempt to educate the people on the issues. Quite frankly, if you don't know WHY you're voting for someone, it's probably best if you don't vote at all.
Old 10-06-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
For the record, I never learned about the electoral college in high school.

I can't even remember taking a civics class...
Old 10-06-04, 11:31 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Draven
For the record, I never learned about the electoral college in high school.

I can't even remember taking a civics class...
Same here.

I learned about it in my poli sci class at my local community college.
Old 10-06-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught some of the Oprah Rock The Vote show. Why should anyone care what Christina Aguilera or Cameron Diaz have to say about anything political? You could tell that they were just spouting off facts that they were told to learn to push ahead with the agenda.

Being Canadian, we never see celebs with politicians. Granted, all the celebs that we have usually move to the US
Old 10-06-04, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by g347g73vv3w
Same here.

I learned about it in my poli sci class at my local community college.
Thats funny because I learned about it in 5th Grade in my US Government Class
Old 10-06-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
I caught some of the Oprah Rock The Vote show. Why should anyone care what Christina Aguilera or Cameron Diaz have to say about anything political?
About as much as anyone would care what the DVDTalk forum thinks about politics
Old 10-06-04, 02:42 PM
Banned

"Very few people can pull off "cool" and "Republican" at the same time. It's against the laws of God, Man, and Nature."

Arnold does even though his social views are mostly liberal.

Bruce Willis I think said he was a Republican.

Tom Selleck could fit this description though he has not been popular since the early 80's.
Old 10-06-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When I think "cool" I don't think Arnold, Bruce, or Tom.
Old 10-06-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
ok, for real, does puff daddy really think that if you don't vote, you will die? i don't really understand where he's going with that slogan...

i saw him on one show, saying "if ya don't vote, your ass could die."

um, ok?
Old 10-06-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Big Boy Laroux

i saw him on one show, saying "if ya don't vote, your ass could die."

I believe it was "yo ass gone die"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.