Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Just Got Friday the 13th Box Today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Just Got Friday the 13th Box Today!

It's a nice set, except for the fact of the slim cases (I HATE slim cases, maybe I'm the only one). I paid an arm and a leg for it, and only for three days early, but I really wanted to watch the special features on it now!

I love the fact that back says "Scary Trailers" on it (I know there was suppose to be a featurette called "Scary Trailers" and it was taken off for whatever reason).

I'm watching the featurettes that make up "The Friday the 13th Chronicles" right now. And it's pretty interesting. So, anyway just letting you guys know.
Old 10-03-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So like...let us know more about the set. We could care less that you have the set if you're not giving us more information than 'this doc is pretty interesting...'.
Old 10-03-04, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, what Tarantino said. Mine isn't even shipped yet. I would love to hear more specifics from you about the set. I have read the reviews mind you, but would like to hear more so speak up why don't ya?
Old 10-03-04, 05:12 AM
Banned

I've had it for a few days and watched the Extras disc...and for the hardcore fans...thats worth the price alone...serious! A lot of great behind the scenes stories and footage...just a lot of fun!

Haven't watched the commentaries or anything but they should be fun...
Old 10-03-04, 09:09 AM

Where are reviews?

and I wonder if the canadian version is different multilanguage packaging! as I never thought of that before I ordered the cheap Canadian version
Old 10-03-04, 11:18 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
So like...let us know more about the set. We could care less that you have the set if you're not giving us more information than 'this doc is pretty interesting...'.

i cannot understand one thing - why can't one member be a little more polite to the other, saying things in a nicer tone would probably get a prompt response, i am interested in the specifics of this set also , can you elaborate PLEASE!!!!!!
Old 10-03-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got the box set early as well, and picked it up because it was pretty cheap considering the $70 retail value. Plus I am a horror movie whore.

The packaging is just ok. I prefer the amray cases. There are no booklets. The cover to the set is cool. The set is shelf friendly. Its compact. But that's about it. The artwork on the discs themselves are kinda lame. They don't represent the series very well. Each disc holds 2 films. The motion menus are all the same on each disc. It's a montage of scenes from different films from the series. So it's a bit annoying to put in part 3 and see a menu with a scene from part 7.

Only Parts 3, 6, 7, 8 have commentaries.
Part 3 is the cast commentary, and its probably the most rousing and enjoyable. It has dana kimmel (the final girl) Richard booker (who played jason) Paul kratka (rick) Peter bracke (writer of the frday the 13th companion book) And most notably, Larry Zerner who played Afro'd & chubby Shelly. He's probably the most vocal on the track. And a bit of a goofball as we'd expect.
Part 6 is a solo commentary with director Tom Mclouglin. It's more of a technical commentary as the director talks about his inspirations and shots as well as the actors. I was a bit baffled as the director went on about his so-called gothic approach which the movie doesn't seem to have at all. He does talk about the comedic element of the film which is very apparent in the film.
Part 7's commentary is with Director John Carl Buechler and Jason himself, Kane Hodder. It was a good track. They do talk about the cut scenes quite a bit. Part 7 is most notable for being the film with the most excised gore. It hurt the film quite a bit, John & Kane seem to realize that.
Part 8's commentary is another solo director commentary with Rob Hedden. It's the weakest of the 4 as the director doesn't seem to have anything interesting to say about the film. He talks throughout the track but at the end of it, you never feel like you learned anything of interest about the making of the film.

The "Killer Extras" disc is where all the goodies are...

It has a documentary broken into 8 parts for each of the films.
There is a play all button. Each part has a different running time. Part 1 gets the longest run and part 5 is the shortest. The running time for the whole thing is about an hour and a half. Its a pretty good documentary, but there are some notable absences... Friday 2 & 3 Steve Miner is nowhere to be found. Virtually No one connected from part 5 is on the thing except for corey feldman who is only in the movie for 5 minutes.
There are some really fun moments throughout this documentary, and you come away from it having felt you've learned things you didn't know about the series before, but, you also feel like there were holes missing as certain parts of the series aren't covered as in-depth as you'd like.

There is a Behind the scenes gore featurette with tom savini and a couple others. It was ok, but nothing outstanding.

Something called "Crystal Lake Victims tell all!" Seemed very promising, but it turned out to be a random featurette. I was fully expecting to see a bunch of actors who played victims throughout the series. Instead we see 1 or 2 victims and the rest are the heroines or other players in the series. Not cool!

"Tales from the cutting room" was my most anticipated extra, and it shows the cut scenes from part 1, part 4, part 6 and part 7
Part 1's excised footage are the 3 brief gore scenes that can be found on the pal disc.
Part 4's scenes seem to be more dialogue scenes and not much extra gore
part 6 had some interesting moments
part 7 has the workprint gore scenes with voice over by director buechler and kane hodder. This is the one fans of the series would want to see as part 7's scenes were the most goriest to be lost. Sadly no cut scenes from part 2, 3, 5 & 8
I could have sword part 2 was cut down a lot as the film doesn't have a lot of gore in it. Each of the cut scenes has a side-by-side comparison with the cut footage to the actual footage in the theatrical release.

"Friday artifacts and collectibles" is the next featurette and its just a couple of the directors showing off the props they kept from the series. It's relatively brief.

There's a featurette called "Scary trailers" but its not on the disc.
There are however the actual trailers on this disc. You can access parts 1-8's trailers. And I enjoyed every one of them.

The transfers looked about the same as the other friday discs. The sound was the same.

I came away from the box set with mixed feelings. While there was a bunch of information there, especially with the 8 part docu and the 4 commentaries, there wasn't as much as their could have been considering there are 8 movies in the series and only half of them get any notice.
Part 1 could of had the sean cunningham commentary & documentary like the pal disc. Glad I own that one.
And there could have been more extras on parts 2 & 5

But, if you're a friday fan, you'd still want the box. Even if you are going to feel like your cup is half empty.

Last edited by Sunday Morning; 10-03-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-03-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you Sunday Morning...

Now that's more like it!

I'll probably netflix these discs, seeing as there are two flicks on each one.
Old 10-03-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Good job, Sunday Morning. Sounds like you digested a lot of the discs

I was getting this regardless but my anticipation is higher now.
Old 10-03-04, 12:54 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

thankyou sunday morning, wow simply amazing
Old 10-03-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is the quality of the films (with two squeezed onto each DVD) compared to he quality of the individual releases?
Old 10-03-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good review. Here's another that's a little more in depth.
http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.ph...wreview&id=142
Old 10-03-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Sunday Morning for the review

and dullboy for the link
Old 10-03-04, 02:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay, I've watched the commentary on part 3 and am currently watching the commentary on part 6. The documentary was great, the trailer for part 7 is pretty good and the teaser for part 8 is good as well (since they weren't on the original releases).

The commentary on part 3 is very good, it's interesting and good for hardcore fans.

The commentary on part 6 is good as well, the director never stops speaking. It is very informative.
Old 10-03-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, did you guys check this out? Looks to be a very promising extra from Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category
Old 10-03-04, 05:44 PM

Here's the massively-thorough 4,000-word (or so) review from HTF. ..........

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=212151

Last edited by davidvp; 10-03-04 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-03-04, 06:03 PM

You'll also receive the special 29-minute bonus disc, Jason Forever, which contains a lively "Jason" panel discussion from a Fangoria convention. It also delivers interviews with cast and crew, including 4 actors who have played Jason over the years.

That just not fair!!!!!!!!!!! I want that too! no Best Buys round my way and already bought the dvd from sanada and its on its way!
Old 10-03-04, 08:26 PM

Where can I find a summary of the Boobs vs Deaths ratio in each of the movies?
Old 10-03-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Thanks for the details everyone - I can't wait to pick this one up.
Old 10-03-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I wasn't going to pick this up, but I think I will if the price is decent enough. I have 1, 2, and 4 on DVD, and it will cost me more to get the entire series. The extras are the biggest reason I am thinking of picking this up.
Old 10-04-04, 09:43 AM
Banned

Now, I'm a fan of these movies but not heavily into them, I would pick this up, but I'm fearful that there will be even better versions out in the future including the the cut scenes, more commentaries, and other special features.

Do you guys think this will happen or is this box set the final thing?
Old 10-04-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
"F13: The Final Cut" Boxset. Coming in 2005.

Old 10-04-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Speaking of the Best Buy bonus disc, will it be a loose disc or will it be included inside the box?
Old 10-04-04, 09:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
usually the bonus BB discs are sticky-ed on the side of the box, but I haven't seen it yet, so don't quote me.

Now in regards to Sunday Morning questioning censored scenes from Part II, this also lost considerable grue, the impalement was more graphic (Fangoria ran a still of this scene) as well as a front head on shot of the machete imbedded in the guy's face (fango also had a still shot of this as well).

IMDB denotes

The following scenes were cut from the film in order to avoid an "X" rating from the MPAA:
- A close-up shot Jeff and Sandra being double-impaled while having sex on the bed.
- A close up shot of Crazy Ralph and the wire cutting.
- A scene at the very end where we are shown the inside Jason's shack and see Pamela's face. While there, her eyes open. It was cut by Paramount for looking too fake.
- A facing shot of Mark's face being split by the machete.
- Blood was trimmed from the shot of Jason driving the hammer in the cop's head.
-The flashback footage showing Mrs. Voorhees decapitation was trimmed.
- Bloodflow was cut from the shot of Jason driving an icepick into Alice's head.
- Additional bloodflow was cut from the shot of Jason slicing Scott's throat.
Old 10-04-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me just say this... this is no ultimate edition...

THE CONS:
1. Every film in this collection is shown in it's rated theatrical cut. If New Line could release Jason Goes To Hell on DVD with both the theatrical and unrated version (using seamless branching), why can't Paramount? The rated theatrical cuts are already on DVD as it is, so why not just go the extra mile and show each film in it's true unrated form? Keep the rated editions at Wal-Mart and sell the box at Best Buy, Circuit City, and so on.
2. The audio tracks should have no consistency with one another. Each DVD ranges from having a mono track, a stereo track, or a full blown Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Paramount should've taken a clue from Anchor Bay and have included Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 remixes for each film with their original soundtracks (let it be mono or ultra stereo).
3. Why do only half the films in the collection have commentary and the other half don't?
4. Where's the audio commentary and the twenty minute featurette from the first Friday the 13th DVD that Warner put out around the world?
5. Where's the 3-D version of Friday the 13th: Part 3? If Buena Vista can do it for Spy Kids 3-D (using seperate discs) and New Line for Freddy's Dead (using multiple angles), why can't Paramount do the same?

THE PROS:
1. Same great video transfers for each film.
2. The audio tracks (let it be mono, stereo, or 5.1) work well for each film.
3. The extras on this set, from what it seems, are quite entertaining.

It's no Nightmare On Elm Street Collection, but Paramount did a good job on the set, minus the problems I have with it.

That and I got it for under $30, so I should shut the fuck up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.