Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are this week's That 70's and Rescue Me threads closed?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have information to post in both of them...
Old 10-02-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because a certain member was starting a thread for virtually every television show on the air, pushing all the other threads off the front page. Just look around, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 10-02-04 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-02-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's stated in the threads:

Being a DVD Talk Legend, you should know that we don't want any one member to monopolize the forum with threads. So, please try to keep it to no more than a handful at once.
seems pretty clear to me. No fault of the subject. Just mods want to make sure everyone can open up a thread for a show without being beaten. I'm sure it's nothing serious.
Old 10-02-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like a pointless (over)reaction to me. I really appreciated B.A. keeping up with all the shows and having the threads ready for us. We're TV Talk ... we talk about TV shows. If one member doesn't create the thread, someone else will. Who the fuck cares who does it so long as it's not 3 days in advance or something? It's Fall. There are a lot of new shows. There will be a lot of new threads. I fail to see the problem. I don't want to overreact in response to this, but it seems to serve no purpose other than to discourage discussion and make this place less friendly, less informative, and less useful. I mean, really, what the fuck else do we do here but talk about episodes of TV shows? Is this an ego thing? People getting pissy that their name isn't on the front page? I rarely start threads around here, because I know someone else will do it, so I'm saved the trouble. It just doesn't make any sense why we should care about this.

Thanks, B.A. You did a good job, and I appreciated it. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be bitching about it. Nothing has been gained from this action.

das
Old 10-02-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So what the fuck do we do now? I want to talk about Rescue Me and Kevin Hill. Do I create new threads? That seems like I'm defying the mods. Do I email the mods and ask them to create the threads? If I do create multiple threads at once, will they be closed?

Ted, do you want to talk about Recuse Me in here? I don't want to talk about That 70's Show, though, so you'll have to do that somewhere else.

das
Old 10-02-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oops, now we have 2 "dr. vegas" threads (I guess that show needs all the exposure it can get before being canned by November...)
Old 10-02-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Seems like a pointless (over)reaction to me. I really appreciated B.A. keeping up with all the shows and having the threads ready for us. We're TV Talk ... we talk about TV shows. If one member doesn't create the thread, someone else will. Who the fuck cares who does it so long as it's not 3 days in advance or something? It's Fall. There are a lot of new shows. There will be a lot of new threads. I fail to see the problem. I don't want to overreact in response to this, but it seems to serve no purpose other than to discourage discussion and make this place less friendly, less informative, and less useful. I mean, really, what the fuck else do we do here but talk about episodes of TV shows? Is this an ego thing? People getting pissy that their name isn't on the front page? I rarely start threads around here, because I know someone else will do it, so I'm saved the trouble. It just doesn't make any sense why we should care about this.

Thanks, B.A. You did a good job, and I appreciated it. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be bitching about it. Nothing has been gained from this action.
I agree.
Old 10-02-04, 08:18 AM

Ditto. Thanks, B.A. - I especially appreciated seeing the threads started for the shows I like best (such as Scrubs and Lost) on the morning of, because it reminded me I'd be getting to see some good TV that day!

Steph
Old 10-02-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I just wanted to say that I was only starting threads for shows that I watched on the day that those particular shows aired. Obviously, I didn't realize this was a big deal to certain people.

Last edited by B.A.; 10-02-04 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-02-04, 08:51 AM

What das said....

Thread envy?

Last edited by maxpower; 10-02-04 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-02-04, 10:53 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

das
Old 10-02-04, 11:12 AM

Yea, I don't get it either. This forum has always had a thread for each new episode of most of the shows on the air. Why all of a sudden close a handful of the ones for this week's shows? Now where do we go to talk about those shows? Start ANOTHER thread for this week's episodes of those shows?

Who cares if one guy was starting most of the threads for the week's shows? I mean, somebody has to do it, and I think we should be applauding B.A. for the effort!!

Well, what I was going to say in the Rescue Me thread was that some of the actor's were on the morning show that I listen to (Hillman morning show on WAAF Boston) yesterday, and they confirmed that the actor who played Tommy's brother in the first bunch of episodes ending up "getting other work" (I dunno if they meant acting work or other), so they had to write in another brother to be played by a different actor (He's a D.A. too, where-as the first brother was a detective). That's also why the first brother wasn't at the funeral. They said that the first brother will be back (not clear if they meant in one of the final 2 episodes of this season, or next season). Oh, speaking of next season, they confirmed that they've been picked up for another year.
Old 10-02-04, 11:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It makes no sense to close a thread with several on-topic civil replies just because the thread starter started several other threads.

Does anybody honestly think B.A. was trying to "monopolize" the forum? I don't! He was just doing everybody a service! I don't care who starts the weekly threads, I'm just glad they're there for discussion.
Old 10-02-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

Does anybody honestly think B.A. was trying to "monopolize" the forum? I don't! He was just doing everybody a service! I don't care who starts the weekly threads, I'm just glad they're there for discussion.
I do. He's a Cardinals fan. Since we can't punish him for that, we'll do the next best thing.
Old 10-02-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das
I agree, I didn't see the big deal. So B.A. started a lot of threads, at least he did, it wasn't like a lot of other people were.

Seems like a mountain out of a molehill thing to me. Dead, if you wanted to start a few threads why didn't you just say so?
Old 10-02-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Agreed with all. I too was confused as to what the point of closing them was.
Old 10-02-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Another agreement. No big deal. If it was a bunch of pointless threads or polls in Movie talk like we've seen before its one thing, but when its to discuss shows that are watched weekly that would be created regardless, i couldn't care less who starts it.
Old 10-02-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
I just wanted to say that I was only starting threads for shows that I watched on the day that those particular shows aired. Obviously, I didn't realize this was a big deal to certain people.
Obviously the mods think you watch too much tv and needed to intervene.
*starts singing*
Just walk away Beee Ayyyyyyy
Old 10-02-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I for one am glad that the thread madness will stop. I don't think that there is there a need to start a thread for every show that airs every night, pushing all other active threads off the first page. I am willing to bet that many of these threads would not have been started by others since many of the shows do not generate much interest on the group.

I don't think that all of the threads should have been closed though, since they are still active. Maybe an email to B.A. from a mod asking him to chill out with all of the threads would have been a better way to handle it.

And before anyone asks, no, I did not complain!
Old 10-02-04, 02:10 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is pretty ridiculous. It'd be different if BA was ever an ass about it, but I never saw anything that would piss people off. The other day I did notice that I was having to go to the second page of threads more than I used to, but having to look through one extra page shouldn't stress anybody out.

If those threads don't get unlocked, I do have an idea for discussing last week's shows. Go ahead and start a thread for next week's show and just start it off with your comments about last week's. It might not make the mods happy, but obviously the mods aren't making us happy right now.
Old 10-02-04, 02:27 PM

Seems like a pointless (over)reaction to me.

Nothing has been gained from this action.

das
Old 10-02-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• movieking •

I for one am glad that the thread madness will stop. I don't think that there is there a need to start a thread for every show that airs every night, pushing all other active threads off the first page. I am willing to bet that many of these threads would not have been started by others since many of the shows do not generate much interest on the group.
Are you kidding me? Most of these threads have over 10 posts of discussion in them ... cuz, uh ... it's TV Talk and we ... um ... talk about TV shows. How many posts before a discusion becomes valid for you? Or is the criteria just for shows you watch, and if the rest of us want to talk about a new ep, then we're out of luck? If you really want to make that "bet," I'll be glad to prove you wrong every single day for the next 5 years.

das
Old 10-02-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• nny •

If those threads don't get unlocked, I do have an idea for discussing last week's shows.
I'm already on that. I'm going to set up a "Posting Pool" web page. Everyone in the forum can join the pool. Then, when you want to say something, you post it to the pool's web site. Then, whoever is at the top of the pool (the least recent person to post) can then post your post here. Unless, of course, by random luck that person happened to be a recent thread-creator with his last pooled post, in which case, it defaults to the next person in the pool. The posting pool will be throttled too. If discussion becomes too frequent on any topic, the pool will be closed until it eases up.

I'm thinking we can also group posts, so if it's my turn in the posting pool, and I have to post someone else's post, I can merge my opinion with theirs. That could be unfair, though, so we'll have to form a committee to vote on that. More to come ...

das
Old 10-02-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In a bit of a pissy mood today, Mr. President? I am sorry for not sharing the same opinion as you do. I'll be sure to make sure you agree with my opinions before I post them from now on. God forbid someone contradict you in TV Talk! It's like going into your house and spitting in your face.

I have no problem with B.A. creating the threads but I do find it annoying that the threads are started so early in the day. I find it to be annoying (others do as well, if you haven't noticed some comments in other various threads). If he was to start all of the threads when the shows started or just before they aired, I would be fine with that. He can be the official TV Talk Thread Started for all I care, with only him being allowed to create threads on shows!

Anyway, I stated my opinion, and stand by it, and really don't give a fuck about what anyone else thinks.

Blast away!
Old 10-02-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh ... so it's OK for you to disagree with me and post about it, but when I disagree with you and post about it, it's a major offense? Geez. We're having a discussion on a message board where we share different opinions. That's what happens. My opinion's no better than yours, and not once did I even imply that it was, so it's really sad that you would stoop so low as to accuse me of such. As if being President of Otterville has anything to do with this discussion. If we can't even disagree on something around here without turning it personal, you may as well close all the threads.

As for my opinion, if I'm defending it vigorously, it's for good reason. B.A. is one of the best posters we have around here. He doesn't start shit, he keeps the threads up to date with cast info and spoilered summaries, and he also adds to the discussions. If people are going to complain about his posting when I clearly think it's a valued asset to the forum (as do apparently many other people), then you're damn right ... I will defend it, because I care about this forum, and want it to be the best possible. Keeping people from starting threads for active discussions on the day of the show for seemingly superficial reasons does not add to the forum; it detracts.

However, I do give a fuck what others think. Still, if I disagree, I will post my disagreement. When that becomes against the rules, call me.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 10-02-04 at 03:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.