Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Shrek box only in fullscreen?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 09:50 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shrek box only in fullscreen?!?

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I ran a search and didn't notice it so . . . I was drafting an early Christmas list and was going to put the Shrek box set on it - until I noticed it only has fullscreen versions of the films?!?
Old 10-01-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

even if it was #%#%screen iam gonna buy it!
Old 10-01-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Shrek box only in fullscreen?!?

The two-disc version of 'Shrek' went out of print, replaced by a one-disc version. The disc which was dropped was basically the more "adult" disc, so it's lost the widescreen version as well as various bonus features kids wouldn't care as much about.
Old 10-01-04, 10:54 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's sad, I'm sure some kids would appreciate widescreen
Old 10-01-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Shrek box only in fullscreen?!?

Originally posted by TimSaupe
Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I ran a search and didn't notice it so . . . I was drafting an early Christmas list and was going to put the Shrek box set on it - until I noticed it only has fullscreen versions of the films?!?
Yes this is true. It is a shame becuase I like the look of the box set.
Old 10-01-04, 03:23 PM

Yep. Very disappointing. I just noticed that on amazon yesterday and it definitely prevented my order! Boxsets should be original aspect ratio! (IMO).
Old 11-05-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a question regarding the Canadian gift set.

I know that the box itself is in english only, but are the DVD's inside the box the U.S. versions or the Canadian editions with bilingual covers?

Thanks,

Jean Paul
Old 11-05-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's a nice-looking box set, no doubt. unfortunately, i had to put it right back on the shelf because it's not WS. i'm curious about the 4th disc.
Old 11-05-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Does anyone know Dreamworks Home Video's phone number/address/e-mail address? I'd really like to voice my concern about the Box Set being FF only.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 11-05-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Valeyard
Does anyone know Dreamworks Home Video's phone number/address/e-mail address? I'd really like to voice my concern about the Box Set being FF only.

Thanks,

Andrew
www.dreamworks.com
universalstudios&[email protected]
Old 11-05-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
This explains why the shrek/shrek3-d two pack only has fullscreen as well...

So what we're saying is that there is no way to get the original shrek in widescreen at all now?
Old 11-05-04, 07:01 PM

What's the inside box set look like?

Has anybody actually purchased this gift set? What's the inside look like? Are those DVDs inside same as the individually sold DVDs? Are they sealed individually? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
Old 11-05-04, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
This explains why the shrek/shrek3-d two pack only has fullscreen as well...

So what we're saying is that there is no way to get the original shrek in widescreen at all now?
Pretty much! Unless you find a copy somewhere, they are all FoolScreen.
Old 11-05-04, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by fujishig

Amazon has the 2 disc still - and I've seen it at the local BB/CC though the 1 disc version are in the higher traffic locations.
Old 11-05-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw Best Buy put out quite a few of the 2-disc Special Editions today on the shelf.
Old 11-05-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wasn't this posted/reported on waaaay back when it was first talked about?

I saw it in person and I was aware that it was FS only, just sort of upset that they didn't say so on the package, but I can't really say that anyone should be surprised since the info was out there for some time now.
Old 11-06-04, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I saw it in person and I was aware that it was FS only, just sort of upset that they didn't say so on the package, but I can't really say that anyone should be surprised since the info was out there for some time now.
All the Full Frame info is on the bottom of the box set. Almost bought it without checking.

Originally posted by dvdphilic
Has anybody actually purchased this gift set? What's the inside look like? Are those DVDs inside same as the individually sold DVDs? Are they sealed individually? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
Shrek, Shrek 2 & Shrek 3-D are all individually sealed and identical to the ones you can get seperately (well, except for Shrek 3-D). The Bonus Disc is in a cardboard holder. Shrek 3-D is in anamorphic Widescreen (the only one in the set!!).

If you really needed that Bonus Disc, you could buy the box set and a Widescreen version of Shrek 2 and sell the Full Frame versions of Shrek 1 and 2 (eBay, Blockbuster or even Wal-Mart). But that's a lot of work for a pretty box and some extra goodies.

Andrew
Old 11-06-04, 03:43 AM

If you really needed that Bonus Disc, you could buy the box set and a Widescreen version of Shrek 2 and sell the Full Frame versions of Shrek 1 and 2 (eBay, Blockbuster or even Wal-Mart). But that's a lot of work for a pretty box and some extra goodies.

Andrew,

Thank you for the valuble information. I'm considering buying the gift set from Best Buy. They also have the BB exclusive bonus DVD attached on the box (makes it a 5-disc set).

By the way, I understand I could sell Shrek 1 & 2 DVDs on ebay or trade them in at Blockbuster, but how could I sell them to Walmart? Since when do they start buying stuff?
Old 11-06-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The 2-disc set isn't OOP. It's just that many stores don't carry it in favor of the FF single disc. And the ones that do carry it charge a premium for it (At least $22.99 whenever I've seen it)
Old 11-06-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Andrew,

Thank you for the valuble information. I'm considering buying the gift set from Best Buy. They also have the BB exclusive bonus DVD attached on the box (makes it a 5-disc set).

By the way, I understand I could sell Shrek 1 & 2 DVDs on ebay or trade them in at Blockbuster, but how could I sell them to Walmart? Since when do they start buying stuff?

Wal-Mart has a very "lenient" return policy as long as the DVDs are still sealed and you don't mind Gift Cards.

That's all I'm saying.

Andrew
Old 11-06-04, 09:59 PM

This is a very good idea. I saw the box set today at the store and it is very nice! I would love to have it setting in my collection! The ones inside have UPC's?
Old 11-07-04, 01:03 AM

As was said, the 2-disc SE widescreen version of the first Shrek is out there. It just may be difficult to find and limited in quantity. I got mine from a Best Buy that had four on the shelf. (I got it for $19.99 with a $3 coupon). I also saw it at an FYE, but for about $26-$27.

At Target, all I ever saw was FS.
Old 11-07-04, 01:35 AM

i wasnt to interested in the box set but when i saw it in person it pissed me off that its all full screen because its a really nice box. i dont really care about the extra disc, id just like that box. and since it doesnt specify that its just for the 1st 2 movies it would be nice to have if a 3rd movie gets made. so each movie in the box is individually sealed? hmmm..........
Old 11-07-04, 02:10 AM

You would like to think it would be directors/producers/studios/etc that would appreciate films being presented in their proper aspect ratio, and therefore would see to films being released primarly, if not exclusively, in OAR/widescreen.

But damn it, there must be a good percentage of under-informed DVD-buying people out there - like my very own brother - who just don't get it and no matter what, insist on having their standard television screen "filled." And it's those people, and their money, that leads to things like the FS Shrek box, and the first movie being available more in FS than WS.
Old 11-07-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Maybe I can find this used somewhere... I want to plunder the Box, Shrek 3-D, and the Bonus Disc...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.