DVD Talk
Which Star Trek movies were good? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Which Star Trek movies were good?

wmansir
10-01-04, 02:09 AM
And by "good" I don't mean OK, or not bad.

Inspired by this thread (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388361).

eedoon
10-01-04, 06:53 AM
The Undiscovered Country is the best Trek to date. Also liked Wrath of Khan (Saavik :drool: ), Generations (I know, I know) and First Contact.

Shannon Nutt
10-01-04, 08:31 AM
My ranking, from best to worst:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis

Giantrobo
10-01-04, 08:38 AM
I thought we're supposed to use the "Even Number Movie Theory"?

King Jaspo
10-01-04, 09:21 AM
The first four a watchable to me.

The second and fourth being the best.

Since I do not like TNG, it goes to reason I do not like the last four.

das Monkey
10-01-04, 09:33 AM
Giantrobo

Keep in mind that said theory is trumped by the "Evenly Divisible by 5 Theory"

das

das Monkey
10-01-04, 09:35 AM
Shannon Nutt

My ranking, from best to worst:

With some relatively insignificant changes, that's pretty much my list too. I'd probably drop <b>The Voyage Home</b> below <b>The Search for Spock</b> (not because I dislike the former, just that I really like the latter), but it doesn't matter much since those first 4 are all great.

das

rexinnih
10-01-04, 10:30 AM
Haven't seen any of the New Gerneration movies yet. (I know they're on the to do list)
So have to go with II, IV, VI as the best.

Gyno Rhino
10-01-04, 11:58 AM
I, II, and VI.

chente
10-01-04, 12:14 PM
Khan!!!!!

El-Kabong
10-01-04, 12:18 PM
Khan is of course the best of the bunch, followed closly by VI.

I think that III gets an unfair rap - it's not that bad of a movie. It's not a classic like Khan was, but its a very soild, enjoyable movie. It's certanly strongest of the odd numbered movies - and I like it better than Voyage Home.

The first one, even with the tricked out special edition, is still a snooze fest. It's probably the next strongest of the Odd movies, and a considerable jump down in quality from 2-4 and 6.

V - As bad as ST:V is, it still is Star Trek. Its not good Trek, but at least it feels likeit belongs with the rest of the series. The next Gen movies (and to a degree, the latter TV shows) dont even get THAT right.

After the Next Generation took over, the Odd Movie/Even Movie paradigm goes off the rails. From that point it, it becomes ALL suck.

So -

1) ST 2
2) ST 6
3) ST 3
4) ST 4
5) ST 1
6) ST 5
Teh Suck) Next Gen

Fok
10-01-04, 12:29 PM
Generally most of them were pretty good, insurrection sucked ass big time though.

das Monkey
10-01-04, 12:29 PM
Saving graces of two oft-criticized films:

<b>The Motion Picture</b> - Easily one of the greatest scores ever composed. Goldsmith's work on this is remarkable. The first approach to the Enterprise set against his score is one of the great moments in the film franchise. I still remember what it was like to see that on the big screen for the first time.

<b>The Final Frontier</b> - Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. For all its flaws, it still remembers that the relationship and interaction between these three characters can salvage even the worst of plots.

das

RoboDad
10-01-04, 12:30 PM
My rating, best to worst:

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

(Tie)
4. Star Trek: First Contact
4. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
8. Star Trek: Generations
9. Star Trek: Insurrection
10. Star Trek: Nemesis

GuessWho
10-01-04, 12:39 PM
2 4 8

Joe Molotov
10-01-04, 12:50 PM
I've been rewatching all the Star Trek movies as they've been releasing the Special Editions. I still need to watch Insurrection and First Contact again, but based on what I can remember this is close to an accurate list for myself.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Some people may not agree with me for rating the Motion Picture higher than III & IV, but like someone else said, it has one of the greatest musical scores ever. After watching TMP, all the others seem somewhat disapointing in the musical department. Except for the theme music for Wrath of Khan. Anyway, I think the music was enough to give TMP the edge over some of the others. But just so everyone knows, I voted for all 10 movies, because I enjoy all of them on some level. :p

PixyJunket
10-01-04, 01:04 PM
V and X for me.

Green Jello
10-01-04, 01:07 PM
The even numbered thing was holding up pretty well until Nemesis came along.

Cygnet74
10-01-04, 02:38 PM
my ranking... (selected the first five as "good" for the poll)

3Js
10-01-04, 02:46 PM
It appears that "Wrath Of Khan" is pretty high on most everyone's Star Trek list (including mine at #1) and it's easy to understand why.

Full of interesting subplots and themes, when you first see the film for the first time it is not readily apparent where the plot is going and that makes the film highly captivating and compelling.

The film's pacing is relentlessly onward and there are few "slow" spots. What few there are are important to the development of the characters and direction of the story.

Although somewhat dated by the standards of today the special effects remain interesting.

Even the title is intriguing especially for those who did not remember or know the title character from the TV series. Who is Khan? And more importantly, why would he be wrathful? It's a mystery and a grabber from the start.

The music by James Horner is excellent and probably only exceeded by the score for Star Trek TMP.

Some of those themes and subplots:

- the dual good and evil potential of technology (Genesis device)
- the destructiveness of revenge for its own sake (Khan and crew)
- the risks of making your own rules (Kirk, Saavik)
- coping with aging (Kirk, McCoy)
- winning the no-win scenario (Kirk)
- the beauty, glory, and bravery of true self-sacrifice (Spock and Capt. Terrell) but ironically Khan sacrifices himself out of pure hate
- facing the inevitability and finality of death (Kirk, Scotty)
- using wits to defeat an enemy rather than sheer firepower (Kirk and Spock), a classic Star Trek theme often repeated
- handling estranged relationships (Kirk, Dr. Marcus, and son)

There's probably more plotlines than those above, but those noted are so deftly intertwined that this is easily the best Trek story.

RoboDad
10-01-04, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by cygnet74
my ranking... (selected the first five as "good" for the poll)

OK, call me confused. You say you picked the first five films as good, yet you place #6 third in your list, and #8 fifth, and #3 eighth??

[looney tunes] It just don't add up!! [/looney tunes]

das Monkey
10-01-04, 04:57 PM
The first 5 in his list, Confused.

das

Rivero
10-01-04, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Giantrobo

Nemesis put a resounding end to that theory immediately.

Green Jello
10-01-04, 05:45 PM
I find it very interesting that "Insurrection" is actually losing to that total pantload "V: The Final Frontier"

Green Jello
10-01-04, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by PixyJunket
V and X for me.

I hope you're joking. Those are generally considered to be the two worst.

milo bloom
10-01-04, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Green Jello
I find it very interesting that "Insurrection" is actually losing to that total pantload "V: The Final Frontier"

At least that pantload was more or less true to the characters.

Insurrection totally destroyed any character development the TNG cast had.

adamblast
10-01-04, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by King Jaspo
The first four a watchable to me.

The second and fourth being the best.

Since I do not like TNG, it goes to reason I do not like the last four. I like TNG better than the original cast, but I have to admit their movies are pretty bad. Even First Contact does nothing for me. I own them all, but only really like 1-4 and #6...

El-Kabong
10-01-04, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by das Monkey
<b>The Final Frontier</b> - Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. For all its flaws, it still remembers that the relationship and interaction between these three characters can salvage even the worst of plots.

DING DING DING! We have a winner. Exactly - those three (plus the other cast, to a lesser degree) make the film watchable. A little sugar makes a bad pill go down much easier.

Doughboy
10-01-04, 09:39 PM
II, III, IV, and VI. The only ones I own.

I've never bought into the Odd Numbered Curse. I think Search For Spock is a pretty solid entry in the series, and I've never enjoyed First Contact(at least past the first reel). And the less said about Nemesis the better.

RocShemp
10-01-04, 11:44 PM
I'm glad to see all the love for III. Everybody has always called it crap and, to be honest, the only thing going against is a weak main villain. Other than that, it's a very solid Trek flick.

calhoun07
10-01-04, 11:47 PM
The only ones I didn't vote for are the Motionless Picture, Final Frontier, and Insurrection.

I am actually surprised Nemesis isn't getting more love. I watched it again not too long ago and actually thought it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. I think I was uber pissed in the theater because I realized the studio blew their full load on the trailer, revealing EVERY GOOD THING that happened. Hell, they even showed Data about to DIE in the trailer. WORST TRAILER EVER. But I digress. If I had never seen the trailer, and just saw the movie, I might have liked it more than I did.

dhmac
10-02-04, 12:15 AM

<b>The Motion Picture</b> - Easily one of the greatest scores ever composed. Goldsmith's work on this is remarkable. The first approach to the Enterprise set against his score is one of the great moments in the film franchise. I still remember what it was like to see that on the big screen for the first time.

I completely agree with you here. The music is so great, I don't understand how anyone can call the movie boring. I mean, at worst, the great visuals and great music just make this a superb extended music video. And, at best, this is still the most ambitious of the Trek movies, trying to be more about ideas than just an outer space shoot-em-up.

And the Director's Edition improves it drastically, although it's still not perfect. More Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments would've helped, along with better development of Decker & Ilia's past history together (say in a flashback), to give the ending more resonance. Plus I really wish those "new" uniforms weren't so damn ugly! But despite all of those flaws, it is the only one with a truly epic feeling to it. (It really looked like a "Motion Picture" instead of a TV show on film.) This is definitely not a bad movie, I mean motion picture, at all.

das

However, I disagree with you here. I love the Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio like any good Trek fan, but thought their interaction in this movie was poorly written and, at time, embarrassing. ("Row Row Row Your Boat" was awful, just plain awful.) Not a good movie for any of the three main characters, or any of the extended Trek characters for that matter.

Numanoid
10-02-04, 01:03 AM
I've ranked mine in the order I'm most likely to pop in the DVD of:

1) Nemesis <--- That's right, suck on that
2) The Undiscovered Country
3) The Wrath of Khan
4) Generations
5) First Contact
6) The Final Frontier
7) The Seach for Spock
8) The Motion Picture
9) Every other DVD I own
437) Insurrection

tanman
10-02-04, 02:35 AM
While I enjoyed them all there were definately some bad ones as well as some great ones. Here is my ranking:

Undiscovered Country
Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
First Contact
Search for Spock
Generations

Insurrection
Motion Picture
Nemesis
Final Frontier

I have to agree that Final Frontier did have some of the best interactions among the characters but that lasts for all of five minutes. The rest of the movie is just too hokey.

The main thing I didn't like about Nemesis was they screwed everything up. I didn't like the whole B4 subplot (either kill data or don't) it really detracts from Data's death and leaves a huge question mark at the end of the (seemingly) last movie. I also didn't like the whole Reman race. The Romulans are already a really cool race why not just feature them instead of introducing the stupid Remans?

RoboDad
10-02-04, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by RocShemp
I'm glad to see all the love for III. Everybody has always called it crap and, to be honest, the only thing going against is a weak main villain. Other than that, it's a very solid Trek flick.
It is somewhat of an exception to the "even-odd" rule. But what do you mean, weak villian? I thought The Reverend Jim Ignatowski made a fine villian ;).

Rivero
10-02-04, 06:04 AM
:thumbsup: to all the support for The Search for Spock. A terrific and worthy follow-up to the best Trek film.

http://www.trekconnection.com/pictures/ST_3/PICTURES/09122002101540.jpg

Supermallet
10-02-04, 06:14 AM

das

Agreed on both counts. The sequence in the brig in V alone makes it not horrible.

My list:

Part I - The True Greats
2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Part II - Almost Totally Great
4. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (only not totally great due to uninteresting villain)
5. Star Trek VIII: First Contact
6. Star Trek IX: Insurrection

Part III - Disappointing But Not Completely Horrible
7. Star Trek VII: Generations (ranking may change once I see it again)
8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Part IV - Blech (Aside from one or two saving graces)
9. Star Trek X: Nemesis
10. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

das Monkey
10-02-04, 08:54 AM
I thought you said men like us don't have families.
I was wrong.

das

Jason
10-02-04, 10:46 AM
Up through First Contact, they're all fairly good, with Final Frontier being the weakest one. I would rank them overall as follows:

I put II, III, and IV together because they tell a single story. I put TMP above Generations because I think the new cut on the DVD is the best version of this movie I've seen yet, and it's a lot better than it gets credit for.

The main thing I don't like about the next-gen movies is the side stories. I didn't like emotional data in Generations, and I absolutely loathed broadway showtunes Picard in Insurrection. I didn't like the wedding scene in Nemesis, mainly because they're supposed to be naked at Betazoid weddings. I could deal with naked Data if it meant we got naked Troi. :)

I placed Nemesis above Final Frontier mainly due to the interaction between Picard and Shinzon, which I thought was cool. Final Frontiere and Insurrection are at the bottom because they're both little more than extended TV episodes.

Supermallet
10-02-04, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Jason
I didn't like the wedding scene in Nemesis, mainly because they're supposed to be naked at Betazoid weddings. I could deal with naked Data if it meant we got naked Troi. :)

If you recall, the wedding scene we saw was the human reception. Picard mentions how they will all be naked at the Betazoid reception.

Doughboy
10-02-04, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by RocShemp

I actually liked Christopher Lloyd as Kruge. Sure, he was a weak followup to Khan, but who wouldn't be? My biggest complaint with the film has always been Robin Curtis as Saavik. I realize it's not Paramount's fault that Kirstie Alley wanted too much money to return, but it really affected the quality of the movie.

And speaking of Saavik, The Undiscovered Country would've been an even better film had Nicholas Meyer not replaced her with the character of Valeris.

Supermallet
10-02-04, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Doughboy
I actually liked Christopher Lloyd as Kruge. Sure, he was a weak followup to Khan, but who wouldn't be? My biggest complaint with the film has always been Robin Curtis as Saavik. I realize it's not Paramount's fault that Kirstie Alley wanted too much money to return, but it really affected the quality of the movie.

And speaking of Saavik, The Undiscovered Country would've been an even better film had Nicholas Meyer not replaced her with the character of Valeris.

Actually, Robin Curtis is much more like a Vulcan than Kirstie Alley ever was. Kim Catrall acted more like a Romulan than a Vulcan, but man did she look hot.

And it's not that Lloyd's performance of Kruge is bad, it's just that as written he's such a generic stock Klingon villain.

das Monkey
10-02-04, 07:30 PM
I always liked Curtis' Saavik much more. Alley was a terrible Vulcan, even worse if you accept Saavik as half-Romulan.

Valeris was hot.

das

Supermallet
10-02-04, 08:44 PM
If she's half-Vulcan and half-Romulan, wouldn't her ears be twice as long? ;)

das Monkey
10-02-04, 09:09 PM
One ear is Vulcan; the other is Romulan.

das

al_bundy
10-02-04, 09:57 PM
ST 2 was the best ever.

TMP was OK, but slow at times

I actually kind of liked The Search for Spock

Voyage Home was good since it was unique among the series

Final Frontier was average at best. They go in search of God, but find satan or some demon that is a wimp

Undiscovered Country was great. Loved the part where they try to translate klingon. and it was also the first time a changeling was in the story. Don't know why they didn't expand on it in DS9.

Generations was average at best.

First Contact was good, but I think it was also a little slow at times.

Nemesis and Insurrection are average.

Kirk, Spock and Bones were an awesome combination. Will Shatner was the best captain. Picard is OK, but too by the book along with the entire TNG universe.

Supermallet
10-02-04, 10:01 PM
Picard isn't "by the book," he just has his principles.

al_bundy
10-02-04, 10:02 PM
It's true in real life military, but Kirk made a much better character on screen

Supermallet
10-02-04, 10:05 PM
Personally I prefer Picard to Kirk, but then again, I prefer Spock to Data. :)

jaeufraser
10-02-04, 11:41 PM
I'll always prefer Kirk, mostly because he has some very good chemistry with his costars. The trio of Mccoy, Spock and Kirk is excellent, and makes for some good entertainment. Picard can be good, but Riker is hardly an interesting foil, and his camaraderie with Data hardly matches with Spock or McCoy. Picard could act circles around Kirk, but the adventurous cowboy is just more fun than the serious English intellect. IMO.

That of course, is why I rate the originals better than the TNG films (besides the poor filmmaking evident in the last couple). even Final Frontier I enjoy for the moments with the trio, despite some of the idiocies in that movie.

jeffkjoe
10-03-04, 03:37 AM
II, IV, VI, VIII.

And III wasn't bad either.

necros
10-03-04, 08:29 AM
I'm not into star trek at all. That being said, I think the wrath of Khan is a great sci fi movie and has always been on my "meaning to buy it" list, the rest of em .... some are ok but I could do without. And, i think the one with the whales was stupid.

SeanValen
10-03-04, 08:48 AM
The thing about Star Trek 5 is, if you really like the characters, this film has some of the best character scenes of all the original movies, who doesn't like the campire scene with Kirk, Spock. Mcoy, the return to enterprise, escape from jail etc flawed, but enjoyable for the character scenes, and some good fist fights by Kirk like the tv series.

al_bundy
10-03-04, 09:40 AM
the chemistry between kirk, spock and bones was amazing. they were friends on the same adventure.

in TNG it's a bunch of separate people in a few movies together. No real bonding or chemistry. you had picard and crusher, but they only thing they ever did was eat together.

King Jaspo
10-03-04, 12:01 PM
^^^ Bingo

custom001
10-04-04, 06:28 AM
Still, I always liked "First Contact" best.

iggystar
10-04-04, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Numanoid
I've ranked mine in the order I'm most likely to pop in the DVD of:

9) Every other DVD I own
437) Insurrection

That's funny! :)

My list:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (favorite line: "I've been dead before.")
Star Trek: Nemesis (I didn't think it was that bad)
Star Trek: Generations (boring)
Star Trek: Insurrection (not just boring, but forgettable)

As a big TNG fan the movies have been really disappointing.

Chew
10-04-04, 11:48 AM
My list, for what it's worth. :)

2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
4. Star Trek VIII: First Contact
5. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
6. Star Trek VII: Generations
7. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
9. Star Trek IX: Insurrection
10. Star Trek X: Nemesis

island007
10-04-04, 02:56 PM
The top five are (2,3,4,6,8).

shizawn
10-04-04, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by jeffkjoe
II, IV, VI, VIII.

And III wasn't bad either.

This is how I feel, also.

roger_d
10-05-04, 12:51 PM
2, 3, 4, and 8 all others not good at all

tommyp007
10-06-04, 09:37 AM
I've been rewatching these as the special editions come out, and I really enjoy all the original cast pictures a lot, though I still find the first one weak. I haven't seen nemesis or insurrection, so I'll hold judgement. For me, the Trek series has always been all about the original cast and the interplay and relationships betwen them, so I can forgive some weak plots.

darkside
10-06-04, 04:18 PM
My order after giving it a lot of thought. Even definitley is superior overall to the odd number films. X is the only exception.
II
VIII
IV
VI
III
X
VII
I
V
IX

darkhawk
09-30-05, 09:53 AM
From Best to Worst:

Fanboy
09-30-05, 02:29 PM
My order after giving it a lot of thought. Even definitley is superior overall to the odd number films. X is the only exception.
II
VIII
IV
VI
III
X
VII
I
V
IX

Ooohhhh, so close to my list. I'd only flip IV and VI because Voyage Home has become a little dated over the years (Russian spies?) whereas Undiscovered Country seems timeless.

And while Wrath of Khaaaaaaaaann! rules all, First Contact was no mean shakes. Come on! It opens with a fleet battle!

cleaver
09-30-05, 02:36 PM
Wow I'm almost dead on with the rankings according to votes
II
VI
IV
VIII
III
VII
X
I

V - among the worst movies ever, certainly the worst directed

dick_grayson
09-30-05, 02:43 PM
I've only seen 4 (the whale one). I liked it. I rented Generations for some reason and watched the first 20 minutes before I got brain damage from the boredom. I'd like to watch them in order, but don't I've been saying that for years.

Rockmjd23
09-30-05, 04:31 PM
II
First Contact
IV
VI
III
Insurrection
I
Generations
Nemesis
V

Terrell
09-30-05, 05:15 PM
II and VI. I can't stand the rest.

Linko
09-30-05, 07:02 PM
My picks from best to worst:
1. Star Trek: First Contact
2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
4. Star Trek: Generations
5. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
6. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
7. Star Trek: Nemesis
8. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
10. Star Trek: Insurrection

dhmac
09-30-05, 11:29 PM
One thing I find interesting is a lot of the Star Trek movies (so far) seem to be inspired in some way by episodes from either ST:TOS and ST:TNG:

Star Trek (I): The Motion Picture - sort of a remake of ST:TOS episode "The Changeling" (about a 300-year-old Earth space probe that's now super-intelligent and dangerous) with a bit of the "Doomsday Machine" (about a large destructive space weapon that features Matt Decker, William Decker's dad) and "The Immunity Syndrome" (about a gigantic space amoeba that traps the Enterprise inside) episodes mixed in. These were three of the best episodes of ST:TOS.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - direct sequel to the ST:TOS episode "Space Seed" which introduced Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalban). This was also one of the best episodes of ST:TOS.

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock - no ties to any TV episode that I know of, but is a direct sequel to the events in ST II.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - a direct sequel to the events in ST III, but also seems to be partially inspired by the ST:TOS episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (one of the "whimsical" episodes, which was about the Enterprise returning to present-day - 1968, that is - Earth and getting into complicated predicaments while trying to leave without changing history)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - seems to be a remake of ST:TOS episode "The Way to Eden" (which was about space hippies trying to find the real Garden of Eden planet). This was one of the worst episodes of ST:TOS, so no wonder ST V sucks so hard.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - no ties to any TV episode that I know of and a stand-alone movie too, but definitely in the tradition of Star Trek stories being inspired by real-life events, in this case, the fall of the Soviet Union. Plus there is a ST:TNG 2-parter called "Unification" with Spock in it that references the events in this movie.

Star Trek (VII): Generations - no ties to any TV episode that I know of

Star Trek (VIII): First Contact - in many ways a sequel to the ST:TNG 2-parter "The Best of Both Worlds" in which Picard is assimulated by the Borg. Also references the ST:TOS episode "Metamorphosis" due to the presence of Zefram Cochrane.

Star Trek (IX): Insurrection - no ties to any TV episode that I know of

Star Trek (X): Nemesis - no ties to any TV episode that I know of, but seems to be a sort of "Next Generation" remake of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, although not nearly as good.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0