Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost in the Shell "Limited" volumes. Only difference is DTS and soundtrack?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems a bit silly for them to include two identical DVD's, with the exception of one being DD and one DTS, and boosting the price as much as they do (well, you get the soundtarack as well, but...). There's got to be something extra I'm missing, right?
Old 09-30-04, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is "the soundtrack as well"
Old 09-30-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
The DD disc has a couple of generic supplements that are not found on the DTS disc, but yes these LE sets that force you to buy 2 discs with identical episodes on them qualify as the rip-off of the year.

FYI, Manga screwed up Volume 2 and accidentally pressed the DTS master onto the DD disc. If you buy the LE set, the discs are mislabelled. However, if you buy the cheaper non-LE, you'll actually get the DTS copy, which inadvertently makes Vol. 2 the bargain of the year.
Old 09-30-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah these GITS TV releases are my final straw with Anime OVA/TV series DVDs altogether. From now on I'm just going to be patient for the eventual box sets and only when I can get a good deal on them. I'm tired of buying DVDs piecemeal over 6 months to a year, I'm tired of problems that get fixed later, I'm tired of (sometimes) being hosed out of a nice box or other extras for being an "early adopter". Oh and since most of the time these TV series are blind buys for me, I'm going to rent the first Volume just to make sure it's even worth checking out the rest. YEAH!
Old 09-30-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i love GITS... and i eagerly grabbed the limited edition of the tv series. and then i find about the sound glitches. i have to send back my cd and i guess, later, the DVD, as well.

and then i read about the the mistake in the 2nd disc.

and i was already a little annoyed that they're basically giving you the same disc twice but w/ different sound. for a premium price, as well.

needless to say, i'm not getting anymore "limited" editions as well. i'm going to wait until a cheaper set comes out much later.
Old 09-30-04, 01:17 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vol. 2 LE comes in a translucent keepcase while the regular one in black case.

Vol. 3 LE will have a T-Shirt instead of a CD, according to a Bandai source posted in AOD.
Old 09-30-04, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by eau

Vol. 3 LE will have a T-Shirt instead of a CD, according to a Bandai source posted in AOD. [/B]
Yes, I might have to get this then!
Old 10-01-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
FYI, Manga screwed up Volume 2 and accidentally pressed the DTS master onto the DD disc. If you buy the LE set, the discs are mislabelled. However, if you buy the cheaper non-LE, you'll actually get the DTS copy, which inadvertently makes Vol. 2 the bargain of the year.
I take that back. I picked up the non-LE Vol. 2 last night, and the disc does not have DTS, just Dolby Digital.
Old 11-09-04, 08:06 AM
Cool New Member

I got the standard one disc et there are both DTS sound track in japanese and english...lucky!