Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Naboo question in Jedi

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Naboo question in Jedi

I remember Lucas saying that the purpose of the 1st half of the Trilogy (in particular Episode I ) was to show how beautiful and peaceful the "world" was before the Empire took over.

Given that statement - in Ep 1 we see beautiful shots of Naboo with lush greenery growing on these beautiful buildings.

However, by the time we reach Ep 6 - Jedi we should assume that the Empire has taken over - and put such an economic and personal freedom stranglehold on the galaxy - that people are willing to fight and risk their life for such a cause.

So we should expect to see Naboo at the end of the "revised SE" to be somewhat war torn, or stripped of it's natural resources. The Empire enslaved the wookies and wanted to take over the mining operation in Cloud City. I doubt that the Empire would take over Naboo and then employ workers for the "Parks Department" or "Landmark beautification." But this looks to be the case as we see the same Naboo at the end of Jedi as we did in Ep 1.

Any one else notice this?
Old 09-30-04, 11:47 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Naboo had no full military (hence having ton enlist the gungans at the end of TPM, so I doubt the empire would bother much with them.

Plus, it was Palpatine's homeworld, so he probably didn't want to destroy it. Maybe he still had a summer home there when he became emperor.
Old 09-30-04, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus, it was Palpatine's homeworld, so he probably didn't want to destroy it. Maybe he still had a summer home there when he became emperor.
Yeah, Palpatine's own "Eagle's Nest"!
Old 09-30-04, 02:56 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I was the empire, I would of hunted down gungans instead of the jedi............they should of use the death star on Naboo.
Old 10-02-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Well, that scene certainly shot down the theory that Dagobah was really Naboo after it's population was destroyed in the war and nature reclaimed the place.
Old 10-03-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Heh, in the game Star Wars Galaxies, he does. Kind of funny.
Old 10-06-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Anyone else disappointed that Lucas created "Naboo" for the prequels in the first place? It just seems like it was an extremely lost opportunity to use Alderaan instead. Alderaan is pretty much exactly the way I pictured Naboo to be (peaceful, artistic, etc.). And think of how much more impact Alderaan's destruction would have had for us if we had gotten to know the planet and its people in three prior movies.
Old 10-06-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Alderaan was also a much cooler name. (One thing that Lucas lost touch with was his ability to name characters and planets in the prequels.)

The planet would have been much more ideal for takeover by the Trade Federation, since they appeared to be pacificsts: "We have no weapons," says Leia. Naboo would have better suited as a footnote for Palpatine's homeworld, if nothing else. He could just have easily put on the same charade about the Trade Federation attacking a defenseless planet, etc. in order to gain sympathy/power from other systems.
Old 10-07-04, 03:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
And think of how much more impact Alderaan's destruction would have had for us if we had gotten to know the planet and its people in three prior movies.
Yeah we all would have cheered in ANH when those stupid Gungins died
Old 10-08-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awww, there's nothing wrong with Gungans. Just one in particular.
Old 10-08-04, 01:26 PM

Who came up with that corny theory about Naboo and Dagobah being the same place?

How could a jungle take over a planet in 25 years?
Old 10-10-04, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by masetodd
Who came up with that corny theory about Naboo and Dagobah being the same place?

How could a jungle take over a planet in 25 years?
Why do people persist in trying to infuse real-world physics into fantasy story? HELLO there are floating cities and laser swords...
Old 10-14-04, 01:55 PM
Suspended