Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MADAGASCAR trailer. Another CG film!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANother new CG film, Madagascar, this one looks good though. Props to Moviebox for the heads up.
Old 09-30-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks better than Shark Tale.
Old 09-30-04, 03:25 PM
Banned

Does anyone else think that we are getting over saturated with CG "Pixar" style movies these days? It used to be that I couldn't wait for each one, but there are so many now. I'm not even the least bit excited about Shark Tale. Pixar still makes the best ones though. I think it's going to get even worse once Disney gets their own studio making them.
Old 10-01-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meh, looks lame.

Green Jello: I don't mind saturation if we were getting decent CG movies to see, as is, I find myself only looking forward to what PIXAR puts out. Although Robots does look like it has potential.
Old 10-01-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually think this one looks funnier than Robots. Thanks for the linkie.
Old 10-01-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish the movie was just the penguins.
Old 10-01-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Green Jello
Does anyone else think that we are getting over saturated with CG "Pixar" style movies these days? It used to be that I couldn't wait for each one, but there are so many now. I'm not even the least bit excited about Shark Tale. Pixar still makes the best ones though. I think it's going to get even worse once Disney gets their own studio making them.
I agree to a point. I do not mind the format growing, if efforts were being made to produce quality films. So far, there have been some decent non-Pixar, although Pixar continues to reign in this format. However, I can see non-Pixar films quickly going to crap (and some already have).
Old 10-02-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, I would lvoe for the format to extend beyond just the formula. unfortunately, the formula for CG movies has been pretty well laid out: comedy/family adventure, which is a broad format that can make for great films.

While I don't really expect adult animated films (and the animated format does lend itself better to stories that call for broader and more exageratted characters) perhaps some change would be nice.

I remember when Disney making a non musical animated flick was just impossible. The reverse happens here, no one would dare make a CG animated musical. LIkewise, they also don't make a more serious animated film, as they all feel they must include the comic sidekick, or the comic relief, or something. Actually, every animated movie feels like they have to do this, which is kind of a shame.

On the bright side, the quality of these films is in general better than your average film. Ice Age, Ants, those are still entertaining films and Shrek is highly entertaining. pixar is still the best, though. This looks interesting hopefully, though fairly typical. Have to wait and see.
Old 10-02-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
I for one thing this has been going on for awhile. As much as I fault Eisner the number don't lie, every CG movie makes a certain high grossing number.

I thought ants was just horrible and Ice Age way overrated but both did quit well at the BO. I really don't think they would have pulled the same numbers if they were animated.

With the exception of Shrek, Pixar does a significantly better job than any other studio out there both in writing and in overall animated quality. Each of their movies have a very distinct artistic direction that fits the character and really draws the audience into the universe of that film. Every other studio just creates animated characters who tell jokes.

Getting back to the topic at hand judging from the preview I think it will be better than Shark Tales or Robots although the animation isn't that great. I know they went for a certain look but I'm not really buying it.
Old 10-02-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, with so many damn CG animation movies coming out, why can't my girlfriend (who graduated college last year) get a character animation job? Boggles the mind...

The penguins in this movie look pretty funny, but the rest left me pretty cold.
Old 10-03-04, 01:27 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within wasn't really a "family comedy adventure."
Old 10-03-04, 02:31 PM
Banned

Dreamworks and there crappy cgi films, tsk tsk tsk. Why dont they try for quality once in awhile and not just the cash.
Old 10-03-04, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Mr.Blonde510
Dreamworks and there crappy cgi films, tsk tsk tsk. Why dont they try for quality once in awhile and not just the cash.
You really hate dreamworks don't you. Just so you know, some people LIKE their movies. I for one quite enjoyed Shrek and Shrek 2, so I'm glad they're "cashed" in on those movies. Same goes for Antz. But I suppose I'm wrong, and Dreamworks only makes bad movies.
Old 10-03-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. The animation style is already superior to Shark Tale and all I have seen is the teaser.
2. I think I prefer the animation style more than I did with the Shrek films.
3. The penguins amused me and I will see the film simply for the penguins.
4. I enjoyed the teaser more than the Robots teaser.
Old 10-03-04, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jaeufraser
You really hate dreamworks don't you. Just so you know, some people LIKE their movies. I for one quite enjoyed Shrek and Shrek 2, so I'm glad they're "cashed" in on those movies. Same goes for Antz. But I suppose I'm wrong, and Dreamworks only makes bad movies.
I liked Shrek, but the others are meh.
Old 10-04-04, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within wasn't really a "family comedy adventure."
It was probably just a coincidence that it singlehandedly closed a studio.
Old 10-04-04, 05:57 AM
sdk

i loved antz, not so much shrek. But come on chris rock and jada pinket smith. It has bad written all over it.