Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing 9/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last Comic Standing 9/28

I didn't see anybody else start this, so I hope I didn't miss something.

The roast, in my opinion, was the most painful episode in the series. The only highlight was Triumph the Comedy Dog, who was just on top of his game and had me laughing so hard I cried. His jabs at Dat Phan and Ralph were some of the best jokes of the evening, and his joke about not seeing so many stars since he sat on his balls was priceless. It amazes me how Robert Smigel keeps on coming up with material for him.

Some of my favorite jokes: "I haven't seen this many stars since I sat on my balls."
"If Rich Vos were anymore rat faced, Dat Phan would eat him."
"Ralphie, were you inspired by thinner comedians? Like Louien Anderson?"

In the end I was happy to see Dat Phan and Ralphie go. Mordel deserved to stay.
Old 09-29-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I liked the roast, however the best line was one directed at a couple in the front row.

To the black man with the white girlfriend:
"Don't you know that when you carjack, you're supposed to leave the driver there!"

Ralphie May last week was TERRIBLE. He just went off on a racist rant, without even trying to tie in a punchline. He never smiled one. I think he was trying on purpose to lose.
Old 09-29-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GuessWho
I liked the roast, however the best line was one directed at a couple in the front row.
The roast was merely OK. The episode where they roasted the neanderthal comedian (can't think of his name off hand) was better, IMO. I don't think the comedians were as "on" as they have been in the past. Some of the jokes were good, but there were several misses in each set. Todd Glass especially didn't seen as good as he has been.
Old 09-29-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the roast. I few of the comics stunk (Geoff), but I enjoyed Gary's set, for instance.
Old 09-29-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ralphie May is an idiot. He just gawked at all of the comedians that made fun of him (except for Vos, also from Season One, of course). I didn't watch much of season one, but how could someone as obnoxious and unfunny as him make top two?

This episode was pretty painful.
Old 09-29-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
I liked the roast. I few of the comics stunk (Geoff), but I enjoyed Gary's set, for instance.
This was the first one I watched this season. Since it's just a bunch of retreads, I figuired I'd wait til they narrowed it down a bit. I thought Gary and Alonzo were pretty good. Gary was really pissing Ralphie off

Todd Glass and Geoff Brown were horrible and should be cut. Tess and Rich Vos were ok. I agree with Rich that the audience sucked
Old 09-29-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this was the best episode yet of season 3. The only one that truly stunk was Geoff. Tess wasn't much better. I thought everyone else was hilarious.
Old 09-29-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich was good....if you heard him before on O&A he was no different last night.
Old 09-29-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rich Vos is such a hack but he was the best out of Season 1.
Old 09-29-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Triumph was excellent, I love that little pooch. "Jay, you're like my poop. You were hot for ten minutes."

As much as I usually enjoy Todd Glass, he bombed with that ridiculous song.

Tess' set with those sex props was uncomfortable, it was so unfunny.

Ralphie & Jay are gone! Yay!

Moving on next week will be Rich Vos and Gary Gullman.
Old 09-30-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rich and Gary were the best. I especialy loved the jokes at Tess, Ralphie, and Dat Phan.

The one about Ralphie losing three pounds, cause he pulled a boot out of his belly button, had me rolling. Man he was pissed.
Old 10-01-04, 04:43 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ay_x.htm?csp=1

Posted 10/1/2004 1:24 PM
May says Comic had last stand
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Ralphie May says NBC's jokefest Last Comic Standing is a joke itself. The plus-sized comedian, who finished second during the first season and was voted off season three's competition Tuesday, says the talent contest hosted and produced by comedian Jay Mohr is past its prime.

"The whole show is a joke," he told The Associated Press recently. "The viewership's gone down the hill, and the show has jumped the shark."

May performs stand-up that's a boisterous brand of hip-hop flavored, not politically correct humor. His career received a boost from his success on the show, including a USO tour, performing for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But he doesn't think much of Last Comic Standing anymore.

Season three has featured comics from the first two seasons, and May says "the only one on there that's doing real comedy is Alonzo Bodden."

May says comedy isn't always about getting the laughs, it's about pushing the boundaries and moving stand-up forward.

"That's why I don't have respect for audiences that laugh at 'Remember when you were a kid?' jokes. ... Let's move on, let's try something new," he said.

"Just Correct," May's comedy CD and DVD, were released earlier this year, and he's now touring comedy clubs and theaters across the country.

His projects also include VH1's Celebrity Fit Club, where he and seven other celebs try to shed extra pounds together, writing a movie for MGM and developing a cartoon featuring a fat superhero named "Supperman."
Old 10-01-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Cry me a river Ralphie.

That fatass was never funny to begin with - the wife and I couldn't even watch him as he stood on stage flapping his jaws. Glad to see him gone.
Old 10-01-04, 05:03 PM

I heard that Ralphie had the kitchen, I mean, stomach stapling surgery. If he loses a lot of weight, will his routines strictly focus on racist comments? How will he be able to tell all of the jokes about him being fat?

I'm glad to see him gone. It sounds like somebody's jealous of Dat Phan, John Heffron, and the eventual season 3 winner. Ralphie should be glad that the only reason we are posting about him is because of the show.
Old 10-01-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I wanna know what Ralphie said to Heffron before he exited.
Old 10-01-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are the female audience members always so blessed in the chest region?
Old 10-01-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone see about a year ago on Jimmy Kimmel when Ralphie May fell down about 8 flights of stairs on LIVE tv, and landed flat on his face....a total accident, but completely hilarious. It really did look like his fat cushioned the fall.
Old 10-01-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Yep the whole ep. would have been a wash if it weren't for Triumph.

"Dat Phan would have done the roast, but Jay doesn't talk like a Vietnamese person."

Ralphie, hbfrank: You aren't supposed to shit where you eat. LCS fed you your career. Loser.

Gary and Alonzo were the best, too bad one will have to go. I still think Todd Glass would be perfect for a sitcom. He isn't the best of this bunch but he has his moments.