Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Christopher Guest's next movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-29-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm a big fan of Christopher Guest's faux-documentary style movies. I thought that "A Mighty Wind" was amusing when I saw it in the theater, but didn't think it was as good as his previous two (and "This Is Spinal Tap") mainly because I wasn't familiar with the whole 60s folk scene. After numerous viewings on cable, though, I've grown to appreciate it more. Anybody have any news on what his next movie might be?
Old 09-29-04, 02:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i read a Rolling Stone interview with him... all he said was... "I'm not constantly writing down things or thinking, 'It's been eighteen months, I have to get another movie out.' I live in a state where I'm pleased not to do things."
Old 09-29-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Not much to write with his movies - they are largely improvised I think.
Old 09-29-04, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Not much to write with his movies - they are largely improvised I think.
you're joking right? do you think the characters, story structure, scene objectives, etc are just made up as they go?
Old 09-29-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally posted by cygnet74
you're joking right? do you think the characters, story structure, scene objectives, etc are just made up as they go?

Nope, he's not. Aside form the basic structure, it's a lot of improvisation. I think that's why they're so funny and likely why much of the same group is used in each movie as they have great chemistry.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 09-29-04 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't hold me to this, but for some reason, I think I remembe a rumor going around that his next film would be at a wedding or a wedding reception or something like that. Have no idea about the validity of that, but it would be pretty entertaining.
Old 09-29-04, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
Nope, he's not. Aside form the basic structure, it's a lot of improvisation. I think that's why they're so funny and likely why much of the same group is used in each movie as they have great chemistry.
i know that when the cameras are rolling there is rarely any scripted dialogue. instead the actors are given "objectives" for the scene. but i also know that guest puts a tremendous amount of work into developing the idea, characters, and story in collaboration with eugene levy and a select handful of others which develop the project at length before production starts. this "writing phase" is as involved as the writing and re-writing of a screenplay.

i recently finished a feature, Blue in Green, that had no scripted dialogue. but the process to develop the story and characters with the actors prior to shooting took longer than it would have to write the screenplay. (it also would have been less truthful)
Old 02-25-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Woo-hoo! Finally some info:

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news...91/index2.html

Waiting For Oscar
Christopher Guest’s latest ensemble satire.

As this year’s Oscar-campaign season winds down, sources say Christopher Guest has set his sights on the whole high-stakes scramble for nominations as the subject for his next film. Of course, unlike with the dog fetishists in Best in Show and the expired idealist folksingers in A Mighty Wind, this one might hit closer to home, since he’s never been able to score an Academy Award for his acting or directing. The working title: For Your Consideration. (Guest’s reps didn’t return a message.)
Old 02-25-05, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus

Uh-oh. A Hollywood satire? I hope this isn't true.
Old 02-25-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Uh-oh. A Hollywood satire? I hope this isn't true.
Why not? What's wrong with Hollywood satire? It worked well in The Player and if anyone has a good take on Hollywood, it is someone who has worked in it but doesn't necessarily embrace it or agree with it.
Old 02-25-05, 12:36 PM

Uh-oh. A heavy metal satire.
Uh-oh. A pageantry satire.
Uh-oh. A dog show satire.
Uh-oh. A folk music satire.
Old 02-25-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
Uh-oh. A heavy metal satire.
Uh-oh. A pageantry satire.
Uh-oh. A dog show satire.
Uh-oh. A folk music satire.
Exactly. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 02-25-05, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Why not? What's wrong with Hollywood satire? It worked well in The Player and if anyone has a good take on Hollywood, it is someone who has worked in it but doesn't necessarily embrace it or agree with it.
Unlike his other subjects, Hollywood is not ripe for satire anymore. It's been done to death.
Old 02-25-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Unlike his other subjects, Hollywood is not ripe for satire anymore. It's been done to death.
I doubt it is going to be a very traditional rip on Hollywood. It will probably be some niche group that people are aware of but know nothing about.
Old 02-25-05, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I doubt it is going to be a very traditional rip on Hollywood. It will probably be some niche group that people are aware of but know nothing about.

Fair enough. But if there's one scene with a tightly-wound, smooth-talking, on-the-cellphone agent, I'm coming for you.
Old 02-25-05, 01:10 PM

everyone should check out Guest's The Big Picture if they haven't already seen it. not a mockumentary, but a satire nonetheless. the scene with Martin Short as "a tightly-wound, smooth-talking, on-the-cellphone agent" is hysterical.