Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony PS3 and Blue Ray HD-DVD

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-27-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digitalbits.com annouces Sony PS3 will run with Blue Ray HD-DVD.
http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Here is Sony's annoucement:
http://www.physorg.com/news1268.html

Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a next generation high-density optical disc format that enables recording and playback of digital high-definition (HD) video signals and programs. BD-ROM format has a huge memory size of 54 GB (dual layer, single side), which is 6 times larger than that of DVD-ROM, and has the potential of becoming an ideal medium to distribute next generation entertainment content from movies and music to computer applications. Standardization of this format is currently underway lead by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA).

MPEG2-TS, the signal compression technology used in Hi-Vision TV broadcasting, is also used in BD, making it possible to reproduce extremely high resolution HD video images. With the introduction of the latest high-compression code/decode technology (MPEG4-AVC, VC-1), playback of high-quality video images from HD video signals becomes possible even under a low bit-rate environment. On the computer applications front, including video games, the importance of a medium with the capability of storing huge amount of data and programs is becoming greater than ever.

The adoption of DVD format in the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system played an important role in accelerating the fusion of music, movies and computer entertainment. The huge installed base of PlayStation 2 has also contributed to the expansion of DVD-Video. Likewise, through the adoption of BD-ROM for the next generation PlayStation, SCEI aims to take part in the development of a new market created by state-of-the-art technology.

Development of key devices, including a single optical pick-up that can read data from all three formats of CD, DVD and BD, is already on-going within the Sony Group. Research and development in optical disc technology with even larger storage capacity, as well as mass production technology, are also moving forward with high expectation.

With PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable), SCEI will continue to expand the market and create a new world of computer entertainment.

I was going to buy my son an XBox, but if I can find out when the PS3 would be coming out, I might hold off buying the Game Box.
Old 09-27-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Game Box?
It's all about games.Who has the best games wins the next race!
Old 09-27-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I would not hold my breath
Old 10-01-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this means we might see HD DVD movies within a year or so!

Lucas would really hate to sell us all a new set.