DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spaced?

Old 09-26-04, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spaced?

With every fanboy praising Shaun of the Dead for the last month, and the film finally seeing its US release this week, where's Spaced on DVD? If we can get the brilliance of the Office from the BBC, why can't I finally see Spaced on R1? And don't just tell me to go region free. When can we expect to see this released? Hopefully with Shaun on DVD? WHen will that be too?
Old 09-26-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
I think it would be best if you go region free.
Old 09-26-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Spaced?

Since 'Spaced' only premiered on American TV last Monday (on Trio, as opposed to BBC-America), I wouldn't expect it too soon.

But they might push the release to coincide with the DVD of "Shaun". Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 09-26-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Q&A with Wright, he said that Region 1 dvd was tied up in copyright issues for music on the show.

I'm going to tell you to go region free. You wont be seeing spaced on R1 for some time.. if ever. Considering the new Spaced Definitive Collectors Edition comes out this week, It's a worhty purchase.

Shaun of the dead is already on dvd and sitting on my shelf. oh wait... a R1 release.. I would expect some time in april/may.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-26-04 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got my shipping confirmation today for the new Spacedefinitive Collector's Edition from CDWow(but I won't tell you to go region-free).
Old 09-27-04, 09:51 AM

Why don't you want to go region free? You can get a decent quality multi-region PAL/NTSC DVD player (such as from Philips) for $70 or less in the US.

There's no way I'd limit myself to R1 only.
Old 09-27-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spaced actually premired on US TV about three years ago. Bravo Network ran one episode. (I think Bravo owns or has something to do with Trio, so it looks like they just dug up their old tapes)

Go Region free, that Spaced Definitive collection Box set just shipped to me as well. Can't wait.
Old 09-27-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
This ends it. I need to go region free.
Old 09-27-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the DVD of Shaun of the Dead sitting right on my desk :-)
Very glad Spaced has made it to the US. Its brilliant.

Which reminds me, I don't own the office yet!. Must get, must get.
Old 09-27-04, 03:16 PM

So what's the cheapest and best region free player I can get and from where, or is it possible to crack my Panasonic HT700, Toshiba SD-4109X, or portable Panasonic LS-5?
Old 09-28-04, 07:30 AM

I think the Philips players strike a good balance of price and quality. I bought my 726 model for $70 at a large discount store.

There's a website out there somewhere that lists all known region hacks, but I don't remember the URL. A search would probably turn it up. From what I recall, Panasonics aren't usually hackable.
Old 09-28-04, 10:59 AM

I just looked on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks and it looks like you're out of luck on all of your players. I picket up a Phillips dvp642 from CompUseless last week for $70 and it took literally less than 10 seconds to hack. SOTD does have a few jaggies, but they're not that noticable. I've already ebayed my two series' of Spaced and the three disc set shipped yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to try that yet, but it works pretty well overall, and it plays divx too.

Last edited by Dexter Douglas; 09-28-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-28-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mink-e
I just looked on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks and it looks like you're out of luck on all of your players. I picket up a Phillips dvp642 from CompUseless last week for $70 and it took literally less than 10 seconds to hack. SOTD does have a few jaggies, but they're not that noticable. I've already ebayed my two series' of Spaced and the three disc set shipped yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to try that yet, but it works pretty well overall, and it plays divx too.
I second the Philips 642. It is a great little player.

I wondered what was holding Spaced up here in R1. I am always telling friends of mine about it but they can't watch it since they haven't gone region free yet. I have the 2 old R2 DVDs, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new set (it shipped the other day, should be here any day now.)
Old 09-28-04, 04:20 PM

Amazon has the Philips 642 on sale for $63.94 with free shipping today. It's a good time to go region-free!!!!

My Spaced dvds shipped (sorry, were "dispatched") yesterday too and I can't wait to get them!
Old 09-28-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no exuse not to be region free, Media Play has the Toshiba 4900 which is region free, prog scan, and dvd audio for $52.50, there is a CD in the international forum that makes it region free. However, the one i bought and the one my friend bought were region free out of the box.
Old 09-29-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to try to keep this vaguely on topic, although my main point in posting is going to do the exact opposite.

First the on-topic stuff. Just caught Spaced, although from what I can tell, I just caught the last two episodes of the series. Looks like Trio is starting the series over tonight (?) so I'll be able to watch it from the beginning.

For those that have the Region 2 (?) version of Spaced, let me ask this: Is it edited? As in, are there audio drop outs when they swear, like on Trio? Also, is the music intact? One of the episodes ended with a hilarious Star Wars homage, and I can't imagine that scene without the actual Star Wars music.

And now to veer off-topic: I really, really want to go Region Free, but my question is: Aren't these discs from the UK PAL? Will these cheap players play them? Please help a relative noob who desperately wants to go completely and utterly Region Free to watch all regions and both PAL and NTSC. Thanks.
Old 09-29-04, 05:04 PM

Hi darth -- I'll try to answer your questions (these are based on the original Spaced dvds, I'm sure the new versions will be the same):
1. The swearing is all there. They are rated for age 15 and up on the discs.
2. The music is all there. The episode you speak of ended with the star wars music. I remember an interview with Edgar Wright where he said they would only do that scene if Lucas gave them permission for the music (I believe it was from Empire) and surprisingly he did!
3. I have the Toshiba SD4900 and it does the PAL conversion beautifully! It is really great. If you can get this player, I can't recommend it enough. The video output from it is great, PAL or NTSC.

Hope that helps. I'm still waiting to get the 3-disc set in the mail ...
Old 09-29-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the absolute cheapest price that I could find a Toshiba SD4900 (new or used, I don't care)?

I have a "region free" player, a Cyberhome player that has the remote hack, but all of my PAL/anamorphic discs are stretched to fill the screen.
Old 09-29-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the tips, Texasgator. That really makes me want to go Region Free right now. So basically its something I can just hook up to my TV and receiver and be ready to go?

Also, to stay on topic, the Empire Strikes Back homage had me in tears, because its so perfectly executed. I'm very excited to catch this from the beginning.

I see Amazon UK is suggesting Shaun of the Dead (a given) and a series called Black Books. Never heard of that one. Any ideas on it, anyone?
Old 09-30-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
What is the absolute cheapest price that I could find a Toshiba SD4900 (new or used, I don't care)?

I have a "region free" player, a Cyberhome player that has the remote hack, but all of my PAL/anamorphic discs are stretched to fill the screen.
You may be able to get a refurb at media play for $37.50, they are 49.99 regular but some locations have 25% off
Old 09-30-04, 08:21 AM

How anyone can not be region free nowadays is beyond me. I picked up a Cyberhome CH-500 the day I heard how good and cheap it was and have never looked back. Seeing things like Hero, Shaun of the Dead, and 28 Days Later weeks, months, or years before they get a theatrical release over here is worth the paltry $80 I plopped down on a region free DVD player. Being able to lord it up over my friends does have its advantages, too. Plus you do get to find those rare gems from other countries as well. Things like Spaced and The Office. I'll be getting The Office Christmas Specials in a few weeks. How about you?

Hell, I remember exactly what pushed me over the edge that day. I remember seeing this beautiful box for an anime series called Saikano and thinking, "Thats it. Time to pick up a player."
Old 09-30-04, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by darthlurker
Thanks for the tips, Texasgator. That really makes me want to go Region Free right now. So basically its something I can just hook up to my TV and receiver and be ready to go?
No problem. With the Toshiba 4900 -- you just hook it up like a normal player. However, to unlock the regions and unlock the PAL converter, you have to put a cd in the tray with a firmware "upgrade" program on it. The hacks for it can be found all over the web. It's very easy and then it is good to go.
Old 09-30-04, 09:40 AM

Can't seem to find the Toshiba SD4900 on Media Play. Can someone send me the link. It's time to go region free. I'm planning on trying to sell my Toshiba SD-4109X to make up some of the difference. Is ebay my best bet? And where's the best place to order Spaced and Shaun?
Old 09-30-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darthlurker
And now to veer off-topic: I really, really want to go Region Free, but my question is: Aren't these discs from the UK PAL? Will these cheap players play them? Please help a relative noob who desperately wants to go completely and utterly Region Free to watch all regions and both PAL and NTSC. Thanks.
go here
http://www.220-electronics.com/
cheapest region free players to be found and not some software hack either. They are all hardware modified. I have the JVC unit for over a year when my Cyberhome crapped out after 1 month.
it plays all PAL and every other region Ive thrown at it flawlessly
149 bucks for a hardware modified JVC player is a steal compared to other region free sellers

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 09-30-04 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-30-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gilgamesh1082
Hell, I remember exactly what pushed me over the edge that day. I remember seeing this beautiful box for an anime series called Saikano and thinking, "Thats it. Time to pick up a player."
Man, not to go off topic too much, but that Saikano set is beautiful. One of the few anime sets I have bought fully in R2. And such a great series.

The R2 UK release of Pandora's Box is what made me go region free. I am a Louise Brooks whore.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.