Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dick Van Dyke & Mary Tyler Moore Shows

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-04, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick Van Dyke & Mary Tyler Moore Shows

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a Dick Van Dyke series boxed set of the entire show?

Also, has anyone heard when Mary Tylyer Moore Season 2 (or a complete series set) will be released?

Thanks.

I'd love to own both of these, but want to find the cheapest way to do it...
Old 09-26-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Good news and bad news ...

The first two seasons of The Dick Van Dyke Show have been released already by Image.

No signs of a 2nd season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and indications are that as a result of poor sales for the first season, there may not be any future releases.
Old 09-26-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I believe all five seasons of DvD have been released.

This is just my uninformed opinion, but ...

The sheer number of episodes (158) would probably work against a release of all of them in one set. Each of the current season sets is five discs, so that would mean 25 discs if the current sets were just grouped together. Also at a list price of $69.99 each this would be about $350 list for the set, even discounted for buying all at once this would be a pretty hefty release in terms of both size and price.

Now releasing it on an hi-def medium would probably be feasible, which would likely (if not definitely) result in a smaller number of discs, but that's probably years in the future if it does happen.
Old 09-26-04, 03:01 PM

I own ALL 5 seasons on DVD, so yes they HAVE been released.

It occurs to me that Fox may have been "premature" in it's release of Season1, after all that concept had not yet really caught fire, save M*A*S*H. I would bet if Fox released Season 2 now they would find better sales, after all TVShow seasons are now a growth part of DVD business.

Skip
Old 09-26-04, 04:29 PM

I truly hope we get season two + of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Andy
Old 09-26-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

whoster69, please use a "?" when posting questions about releases. For a moment, others like myself may think that a thread has been posted sharing news of an announcement.

As for MTM, I believe Fox DOES have plans to release it. They are waiting for the right time, whatever that means. I read a while back that season two actually is done being mastered and put on disc, so I think it's a no brainer to put it out. I believe the set would improve in sales if it was scaled back a bit. Charging 25.00 or so for MASH season sets then putting out MTM season sets for nearly twice as much was going to have negative effects. If it means cutting out bonus features and selling it at a reduced price, then so be it. I want the episodes far more than I want bonus features.
Old 09-26-04, 05:44 PM

The Van Dyke sets are some of the best around in terms of packaging & bonus content. Although the MSRP is $70 you can get them for $40 or under by getting them from warehouse clubs or waiting for DDD to do another 20% sale.
Old 09-26-04, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
whoster69, please use a "?" when posting questions about releases. For a moment, others like myself may think that a thread has been posted sharing news of an announcement.
Sorry about that. I see what you mean. If there's anyway I can change it, let me know and I will.

Thanks to all that replied. I thought I saw somewhere that there was going to be a release but it was from an unconfirmed source (like comments at Amazon.com).

I was hoping that someone had heard something here. If not, then it's probably not true...

As to Mary Tyler Moore (MTM), I'm glad to hear the second season is on the way.
Old 09-27-04, 07:16 AM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360174-0464666

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...360174-0464666

The five DVD-on-DVD sets are some of the very best TV-on-DVD products produced to date. Many bonus extras, including original commercials, promos, and picture galleries, plus three complete extra full-length programs included --- "Stump The Stars" game show (circa 1962) with cast members (aka: "Mike Stokey's Pantomime Quiz"); "Head Of The Family" (Van Dyke Show pilot filmed in late 1958); and a complete episode of "The Danny Thomas Show" from 1963, with Morey Amsterdam appearing as his Van Dyke Show character, Buddy Sorrell.

The Van Dyke sets are very hard to beat. Worth every penny. With The MTM Season 1 boxed set coming in a close 2nd place, IMO. It, too, sparkles with superiority in many aspects, including a terrific 87-minute bonus "Making Of" documentary. Season Two sure would be nice to have before the 21st century turns into the 22nd -- but, hey, at least Season One is available, which includes one of the finest Christmas-themed TV episodes ever filmed, in my opinion. The Christmas program offered up in the upcoming November 16th Season-One set of The Andy Griffith Show, however, will provide MTM with some stiff competition in the "Best Christmas Episodes" department. Both are obligatory programs for December viewing.

"A second with you is like a year with an angry mob!" -- Maurice "Buddy" Sorrell to Melvin Cooley

Last edited by davidvp; 09-27-04 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is an article reporting that the second season of Mary Tyler Moore could be released in the near future. However Fox may try splitting it into two separate releases like they are doing with the second season of Lost in Space.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/5002250.html
Old 09-27-04, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Here is an article reporting that the second season of Mary Tyler Moore could be released in the near future. However Fox may try splitting it into two separate releases like they are doing with the second season of Lost in Space.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/5002250.html
Thanks for the interesting info! Too bad about possibly spliting it up. I think they're wrong as to people's reasons. I didn't hear anything about the first season being out and like several other people I know, didn't want to buy it until I knew the other seasons were coming out.

Once they get several of them out and people realize that they'll all be released I think that will help. Also they charge too much in my opinion for one season's worth of shows.
Old 09-27-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the first three DVD show sets and will get the other two for Xmas.

They were talking about releasing all of them together in a special ottoman case but that's probably off now as the cost was very high.
Old 09-27-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fox seems to think that DVD buyers cannot add.

Most people aren't going to pay $60 for a season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show when they see similar sets of Friends, M*A*S*H*, All in the Family, etc... selling for nearly half that price.
Old 09-27-04, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by RevKarl
Fox seems to think that DVD buyers cannot add.

Most people aren't going to pay $60 for a season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show when they see similar sets of Friends, M*A*S*H*, All in the Family, etc... selling for nearly half that price.
Exactly and there lies the problem.
Old 09-27-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus I wonder how many people are going to want to purchase half a season at a time for only a half hour sitcom. It will take forever to complete the series. I don't even want to do it for Lost in Space which is an hour long, and ran for only a few seasons. I agree Fox should lower the price and commit to a few seasons to stimulate interest.
Old 09-27-04, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Paul Drake
The Van Dyke sets are some of the best around in terms of packaging & bonus content. Although the MSRP is $70 you can get them for $40 or under by getting them from warehouse clubs or waiting for DDD to do another 20% sale.
How often does Deep Discount DVD do a 20% sale? I'm not in a hurry but would like to get all five seasons since it looks like a mega set isn't going to happen.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-04, 09:27 PM

What about the original BOB NEWHART show!? Those were funny as hell!
Old 09-27-04, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by emhello
What about the original BOB NEWHART show!? Those were funny as hell!
I agree! Of the three comedies I'd love to have they'd be Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, and Bob Newhart. They're my all time favorites!

Anyone heard anything?
Old 09-27-04, 10:00 PM
Cool New Member

Does DVD DVD Season 1 have insert?

How cool: DVD DVD = Dick Van Dyke Digital Video Disc!

Anyway, this is totally lame and shows you what a "completist" I am, but did anyone get an insert in their Season 1 set? I have the first four seasons. 2, 3, and 4 all have a little pamphlet. The first one did not. I would like to know if anyone got one in the first. Maybe they didn't get the idea for it until they started making the others. Thanks.
Old 09-27-04, 11:33 PM

I think another reason they're not considering is all these "piggyback sales" places offer, particularly on TV DVD's. Buy the newest season, plus another, save X dollars, buy two additional seasons, save X dollars. I for one have stopped buying TV releases (except "Simpsons," because I can't wait that long), until there are at least two to three seasons available to take advantage of those sales. I'm tired of buying them when they come out and then later in the release cycle, you can practically get a set free with those deals. That's why I didn't buy Season 1 of "Malcolm In The Middle" (guess I avoided another MTM heartbreak there) and haven't picked up a "Friends" set since season 5. I would be happy if Fox went ahead and released season 2 as it was produced (and in one set) since it was already done anyway. They could just release the other seasons with no extras if that's what it took to get them out, at this point. But even if they do finally release Season 2, I'd be hesitant to buy it (but probably wouldn't be able to hold out), since I fully expect them to give up on the series yet again. I have ZERO faith in them regarding the show's future on DVD.
Old 09-27-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Does DVD DVD Season 1 have insert?

Originally posted by nyrotic
How cool: DVD DVD = Dick Van Dyke Digital Video Disc!

Anyway, this is totally lame and shows you what a "completist" I am, but did anyone get an insert in their Season 1 set? I have the first four seasons. 2, 3, and 4 all have a little pamphlet. The first one did not. I would like to know if anyone got one in the first. Maybe they didn't get the idea for it until they started making the others. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with you.

However something is wrong with season 1's set.

It does have a booklet like the others.
Old 09-28-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
As for the MTM half-season sets, yes, it will take a while to get all the episodes out, but I have had the season 1 set for a very long time now and would just love to see any type of season 2 set come out. After all, it is better than just getting a best-of set.