Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is DVD-Audio/SACD dying?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is DVD-Audio/SACD dying?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is DVD-Audio/SACD dying?

Have to say I'm not too encouraged by the dearth of new releases. Every time I look at the new release lists I see few interesting titles and the section in my local Best Buy is still filled with the same old stuff. Glad I only spent 160 bucks on my combo player because it's looking like this is going to be the Qudrophonics of the DVD age. Anyone else disturbed by this?
Old 09-23-04, 11:54 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was never alive.

CDs will be the dominant format for the foreseeable format. They've been around for going on 25 years. They caught on mainly due to things like instant track access. Added sound quality was just a bonus over cassettes and the other formats at the time.

It will take something offering more than better/multichannel sound to get joe six pack to start buying a new format and replacing his CD library.

I certainly have no interest in rebuying my cds and don't listen to music at home enough to pay more for SA-CD/CD hybirds (would never by a SA-CD/DVD-A only CD as I couldn't listen to it in the car, at work, in my discman etc.).
Old 09-23-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not dying, but it's not taking off either... Not enough promotion and pushing of product. Not to mention, the rock catalog is pretty small in comparison to the classical and jazz choices that are available. Best Buy don't seem to have a lot of interest in multichannel surroud music, you're much better off ordering onlne... Am I disturbed by the lack of push behind DVD-A and SACD? Not really, I always figured it would be a niche market for those of us who really dig adventurous music, not a product for Dick and Jane FM lover.

This reminds me, I need to pick up the new Zappa DVD-A out this week...
Old 09-23-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would love the industry to announce that they had made their last cd, and were going to only make SACD/DVD-A, both for the better sound quality, and to help stem copying/file sharing.

I definately prefer SACD (and DVD-A), but most people won't adopt them if they don't have the hardware, and won't get the hardware if there aren't enough good titles available.
Old 09-23-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
I would love the industry to announce that they had made their last cd, and were going to only make SACD/DVD-A, both for the better sound quality, and to help stem copying/file sharing.

I definately prefer SACD (and DVD-A), but most people won't adopt them if they don't have the hardware, and won't get the hardware if there aren't enough good titles available.
Thats what is nice about SACD though. The hybrid CDs...they could start making every CD a hybrid so that hardware adoption could be gradual. Of course then there would need to be hybrid DVD-A...or just one format.
Old 09-24-04, 01:28 AM

Yeah I wish they would really start getting to some mainstream titles a little more, if they can release Britney's "In The Zone" on DVD Audio then anything is possible, I doubt half of her fans that listen to her music even know about it or even care
Old 09-24-04, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
It would have to be alive before it can actually start dying.
Old 09-24-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A friend of mine has an Acura TL (5.1 DVD-A audio is standard) and a copy of the Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi..." on DVD-A. Holy shit, that would make a commute go fast. I don't think the format's dead, just too many people don't know about it and its appeal is somewhat esoteric.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-24-04 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-24-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
My girlfriend's dad just bought a brand new TL. Holy CRAP, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is on DVD-A?? I had no idea, that's frigging awesmoe.

Is it 5.1 or just stereo?
Old 09-24-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's 5.1 and what I would consider the reference standard for DVD-A. Wayne Coyne did the mix and he produced the most creative use of the format to date. Drums swirl around you you in either direction. He even has liner notes that describe the mix. A must buy.
Old 09-24-04, 10:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well the way Best Buy is treating the format, it sure looks like DVD-Audio/SACD is on it's last legs. Tower Records does a better job stocking these types of discs. I personally don't buy these titles from B&M stores anymore, news and info on this formant is more prevailent on the web and essentially better pricing can be found.
Old 09-24-04, 10:59 AM

Secondly, the way the UK has being making more popular titles in DVD-Audio/SACD:

- Groove Armada
- Feeder
- Moloko
- Art of Noise
- Frankie Goes to Hollywood
- Bjork
- (upcoming) Nick Drake

they seem to have a better marketing and availability to a much more diverse and younger consumers.
Old 09-24-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
well the way Best Buy is treating the format, it sure looks like DVD-Audio/SACD is on it's last legs.
Reminds me of those Mobile Fidelity disks they used to make. You could find them in the odd Audiophile shop (you know the one's with the $12,000 amplifiers and $5000 turntables),.
Old 09-24-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I'm a big fan of multi-channel, higher resolution music, DVD-A/SACD doesn't seem to be gaining much momentum from a general consumer's standpoint. I thought I read somewhere that the record labels were looking at going hybrid whereas combining the regular stereo/CD version on one side and the mutli-channel high resolution on the other, and selling/marketing them with the regular CDs but with these extras features. It makes sense, what better way to get the new format into the consumer's home's but package it with the tried and true standard?
Old 09-24-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cungar
It's 5.1 and what I would consider the reference standard for DVD-A. Wayne Coyne did the mix and he produced the most creative use of the format to date. Drums swirl around you you in either direction. He even has liner notes that describe the mix. A must buy.
STRONG agreement... The Yoshimi DVD-A is stunning.
Old 09-24-04, 11:52 AM

if you want stunning check out Super Furry Animals "Rings Around the World" DTS track from off of the DVD, it's less gimicky than the "Yoshimi" soundmix and much more powerful (IMO)

Has anyone heard the Polyphonic Spree DVD-Audio?
Old 09-24-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with the "never took off" comment. I've never even paid any attention to SACD or DVD-A
Old 09-24-04, 12:18 PM

you would think that the number of people who invest their time and money to buy a DVD player and a simple surround sound set up - DVD-Audio discs would be much more prevailent and accepted, aparently it isn't. Go figure?
Old 09-24-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of think that now with people having serious misgivings about paying $17.99 for a conventional CD, they sure as hell won't spend $23.99 or whatever it is for a SACD or DVD-A format disc.