Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Faster Pussycat

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faster Pussycat

Russ Meyer died today. Maybe the heir of his estate will see the opportunity and finally release Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill!
Old 09-22-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was more partial to their hit songs House of Pain and Bathroom Wall.
Old 09-22-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Faster Pussycat

Originally posted by jimbeam
Russ Meyer died today. Maybe the heir of his estate will see the opportunity and finally release Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill!

Too bad for Russ Meyer, but good for you, I guess. BTW, you do know there's presently a R2 PAL version that looks to have decent video and audio (given the source material) available, right?
Old 09-22-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
It's a shame about Russ, but hopefully there will now be an opportunity for someone to go back to the original film elements (I'm hoping that Meyer still had them carefully stored somewhere) and restore these films and give them a proper release. The commentary tracks he recorded for some of the laser discs could be used, along with perhaps some new commentaries by long time friend and sometimes collaborator, Roger Ebert (getting some of the actresses involved would be nice too. Having Tura Satana participate on a FASTER PUSSYCAT commentary track, for example, would be great)
Old 09-22-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie tops my wish list.
Old 09-22-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
It's a shame about Russ, but hopefully there will now be an opportunity for someone to go back to the original film elements (I'm hoping that Meyer still had them carefully stored somewhere) and restore these films and give them a proper release.
A print of FPKK played around the country within the past 10 years (I don't remember exactly when but I believe that it's that recently). I saw it in Atlanta and it looked great, no damage, I believe it was new ... when RM was alive I believe he made a point of caring for his films well. RM actually made an appearance at the theater for Q&A (the T&A was in the film, haha) which I still regret missing (I couldn't make it Friday night when he was there).
Old 09-22-04, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Snowmaker
I was more partial to their hit songs House of Pain and Bathroom Wall.
Cathouse, Babylon, & Smash Alley were WAY better
Old 09-23-04, 12:44 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I read that when you called the Russ Meyer office to place an order for any of his movies that one would often get Meyer himself!

I also read that before his death he was suffering from dementia. Could you image the phone conversations he probably had with customers? I bet they were great!!

Also, check out these Japanese Box Sets from a link I found on www.russmeyer.com. I'm not sure of the titles or the prices, but they sure look cool as hell!

http://www.fullmedia.co.jp/rm/box/mondowild/index.html

Last edited by rich-y; 09-23-04 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-23-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Malign
"No, we won't shut up, we'll keep babblin' on and on!"

Yeah, I'll admit that I saw them live in concert when they opened for Alice Cooper and Frehley's Comet.

I read that when you called the Russ Meyer office to place an order for any of his movies that one would often get Meyer himself!

I also read that before his death he was suffering from dementia. Could you image the phone conversations he probably had with customers? I bet they were great!!
Ah, that would have been worth the cost of the high priced videos itself.
Old 09-23-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rich-y

Also, check out these Japanese Box Sets from a link I found on www.russmeyer.com. I'm not sure of the titles or the prices, but they sure look cool as hell!

http://www.fullmedia.co.jp/rm/box/mondowild/index.html
Over $250.00 US for an 8 disc set. Already sold out on CDJapan at least. I wasn't sure about the details as far as optical censoring or if these were really restored or just taken from the same old video masters like everything else, so I had to pass.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BBBF-9093
Old 09-23-04, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a shame about Russ, but hopefully there will now be an opportunity for someone to go back to the original film elements (I'm hoping that Meyer still had them carefully stored somewhere) and restore these films and give them a proper release. The commentary tracks he recorded for some of the laser discs could be used, along with perhaps some new commentaries by long time friend and sometimes collaborator, Roger Ebert (getting some of the actresses involved would be nice too. Having Tura Satana participate on a FASTER PUSSYCAT commentary track, for example, would be great)
I seriously doubt it, the people who "took over" Russ's operation ruled Russ's inventory with iron fist, and probably will release it thru themselves, to make more money to themselves, plus Russ never wanted to sub-license any of his titles, and if that is in his will, than you can forget it being sub-licensed.
Old 09-23-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'll admit that I saw them live in concert when they opened for Alice Cooper and Frehley's Comet.
I saw them open for Motley Crue on the Dr. Feelgood tour.
Old 09-23-04, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Malign
I liked Poison Ivy & Where there's a whip there's a way. That whole album was great. 80's style metal rules!!!
Old 09-23-04, 09:07 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe Roger Ebert will champion a series of fully-restored releases. Are you listening, Roger?
Old 09-23-04, 11:43 AM

Until RIGHT now I thought this topic was abou the 80's band "Faster Pussycat"
I have no idea who they are but a friend in High School had a Tshirt of them. I saw this post and I was like "Someone made a movie about them"
But i see now, its the same.
Old 09-23-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My metalhead friends were always confused about the band's name until I told them about the film that the name was taken from.
Old 09-23-04, 11:36 PM

I'm hoping this unfortunate event does lead to quality DVD releases of both FPKK and also Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
Old 09-24-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by angryyoungman
I'm hoping this unfortunate event does lead to quality DVD releases of both FPKK and also Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
The connection between BtVotD and RMs death is less direct I believe as Fox controls this movie (available on VHS in Region 1) as well as The Seven Minutes. I believe that he (now his estate) own all of his other titles. Of course his death may spur Fox to move on their RM directed titles, but I don't think that he had any direct ownership in these two films, so the issues involved with the two Fox films would be different than those for the ones that he financed and owned himself.
Old 09-24-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right, his estate has no control over BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS or THE SEVEN MINUTES, along with FANNY HILL as well, I believe.