Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tarantino articles on the Jacke Brown DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-20-04, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the bonus newspaper and magazine articles on the bonus dvd.

Why are they so freaking long?

Do you read all of them or just ignore them?

I feel the urge to read them since I want to finish watching the bonus features.

Eggplant Blues by Stanley Crouch is about 20 pages long.

I think I might finish this DVD next January.

Last edited by corycouger; 09-20-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
Actually, this brings up a much larger question: Does anybody read the "text" special features on any disc? I'll admit that I have been known to read the actor biographies and filmographies . . . but I just cannot seem to force myself to sit and read an article on my TV.
Old 09-20-04, 03:17 PM

I dunno - I really thought the TXT commentary and the essays were actually pretty sweet. I love having shit to read about the film as well as the film itself, and I imagine it doesn't take all that much of a stretch to put it there in the first place...

...Fear and Loathing Criterion for instance has that great little insert booklet...
Old 09-20-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't like trying to read articles on my TV, so I tend to avoid them. Though sometimes I'll give it a try and usually only make it about 5 pages in before I start wondering how long it is.
Old 09-20-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I never looked at them. I think they'd be easier to read on my PC though then on my TV.
Old 09-20-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Actually, this brings up a much larger question: Does anybody read the "text" special features on any disc? I'll admit that I have been known to read the actor biographies and filmographies . . . but I just cannot seem to force myself to sit and read an article on my TV.
Never read them. Also never look at the stills section either. I dont consider text based extras as "real" extras .
Old 09-20-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recently, I read the journals on Clerks X, they were pretty cool to read for awhile, until I realized I was reading on my TV.

Me, I love the articles/journals/essays/production notes, as long as they're in an insert. It's nice little touches like that, that makes the DVD even more special. I always read the inserts.

But I understand how you can't slip in a full 100-page book in the case... a little here, a little there will do.
Old 09-20-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts
I much prefer reading the info in an included booket but the only company that really seems to do this (instead of on screen text articles) is Criterion. Their VIDEODROME and IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE discs, for example, have inserted booklets that are around 40 pages or more. But of course, this costs more money, and for most studios, the bottom line is more important.