Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

The Who: The Kids Are Alright Special Edition $9.99 at FYE plus others.

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would let you guys know about this great deal. Many music DVD's are on sale right now. Mainly from $8.99 and up. Alot of titles we don't usually stock came in for this sale. I noticed The Kids Are Alright this evening, and thought for sure, one of the associates made a mistake since the regular edition is on sale for $9.99. But sure enough it scans at $9.99. Regular price is $29.99 so it's an excellent deal. Chances are, you might find something else ya like as well.
Old 09-18-04, 09:38 PM

Is this at all FYE's? I live in Florida and it definitely sounds interesting.
Old 09-19-04, 12:07 PM

From what I understand, it is all FYE's. I'm pretty sure Saturday Matinee has the same sale as well. I picked up Ben Harper-Live At The Hollywood Bowl for $8.99 there. Not as much of a savings but still a great deal. I am an assistant manager at the FYE here, so I'll try to get a list of everything and post it tomorrow.
Old 09-20-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Many thanks, OP. The Who disc wasn't marked, nor was it in the sale bin, but they had one or two copies of the two-disc. I took it up and asked the guy behind the register if it were part of the sale, and he scanned it. He said "Dayyyyam." Then, he checked his watch for some reason (maybe the date?). He said, "Yeah, do you want it?" I agreed. He was still shocked by the price (since it had a $30 sticker on it), but he said "Can't argue with the machine" and "It ain't comin' out of my pocket" which is the attitude consumers love best

Anyway, many thanks, I'd been waiting for a good price on this, glad I waited.
Old 09-20-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any word on that complete list? Thanks for the heads up by the way.
Old 09-20-04, 10:28 PM

Glad to see someone took advantage of this excellent deal. I can't stop watching The Who set.

Wasn't able to get a complete list, as another manager threw it away. But I'll mention a few more notables.

Genesis-The Way We Walk 2 disc $9.99 (Great set, lots of multi angle stuff $24.99 MSRP)

Alanis Morrisette-Jagged Little Pill Live $8.99 (Lowest price of DVD price search $12.59)

Depeche Mode-101 $12.99 ($24.99 MSRP)

Paul McCartney-In The World Tonight $8.99 ($24.99 MSRP)

Jackson Browne- Comes Home $9.99 (24.99 MSRP)

Huey Lewis & The News-Live At Rockpalast $9.99 (24.99 MSRP)

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. But there are probobly 50 or more titles in this sale. Theres alot of stuff I've never seen in a store before. Pretty much everything from the Pioneer catalog included with the Who DVD. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-04, 10:47 PM

Why o why o why didn't I buy a bunch of those buy-$50-get$10 cards?????????
Old 09-21-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip. I checked at two FYE stores (one is near where I work, the other near where I live) and the first one was not marked, and I thought "oh well" and left (next time I'll know to have a cashier check it). Checked at the other one and it had a $9.99 sticker on it, and it checked out without a peep to $10.69 with tax. Amazing that this was $20 off the marked price of $29.99.

Old 09-21-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Link_182!

I went to FYE on my lunch break and picked up the Who dvd for $9.99, as well as "Poison - Greatest Video Hits" for $8.99 !!!

I have no shame...LOL.
Old 09-21-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to the OP. I picked up the only copy it at the Irvine Spectrum FYE location earlier today. What a great deal!
Old 09-21-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

don't forget if you order online from the coconuts website and have not purchased from them before you will be eligible for an additional 10% off and free shipping (budget). i wound up getting 13 different music/video dvds and the 10% & free shipping only sweetened the deal. the who kids are alright dvd was not available for $9.99 online, so i will have to go to the b & m later to see if i can get a copy. op is the version you got for 9.99 the 2 disk version? there is a one disk and 2 disk version of this title available. anyway thank you for the hot deal!
Old 09-21-04, 03:13 PM

Thanks, I got the Who and Queen "We Will Rock You" for 9.99 each. They were all marked at the one I went to. Or at least I believe they were. I didn't see the Genesis or I would have got it. I saw the Led Zepplin but it wasn't marked, so any idea weather its on sale or not. Thanks again
Old 09-21-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dollfins1
the who kids are alright dvd was not available for $9.99 online, so i will have to go to the b & m later to see if i can get a copy. op is the version you got for 9.99 the 2 disk version? there is a one disk and 2 disk version of this title available.
FYI, the "Special Edition" is the 2-disc release, the 1-disc is the "Deluxe Edition". (That's a "yes, it's the 2-disc".)
Old 09-22-04, 01:57 PM

The FYE near me had both the 1- and 2-disc versions priced at $9.99. I picked up the 2-discer and watched it last night. Unbelievable price on a beautiful disc!
Old 09-22-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is the difference between editions. Picked up the Deluxe when I picked up SW, not realizing there was a two disc version.
Old 09-22-04, 04:24 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone seen these deals at the Wherehouse? Aren't they owned by the same company as FYE?
Old 09-22-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jim
Has anyone seen these deals at the Wherehouse? Aren't they owned by the same company as FYE?
same company, pricing should be the same, it is at Coconuts

today is the last day the who disc is on sale, many other great ones continue for the next 3 weeks though.
Old 09-22-04, 06:51 PM

Thanks to the OP and to the poster who said The Who dvd was about to go off sale. I have been meaning to go out there, and wouldn't have got in on the deal if I didn't read that. I picked up the one Kids are Alright dvd they had and a Ben Harper Live at Hollywood Bowl for 20 bucks great deal!
Old 09-23-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by kayak99
What is the difference between editions. Picked up the Deluxe when I picked up SW, not realizing there was a two disc version.
I did the same thing, thinking the Deluxe Edition would of course be the two-disc one. Guess it really doesn't matter because the one FYE near me didn't have it and the other one only had the Deluxe Edition, so it was that or nothing for $9.99. But to answer your question, the second disc includes some multi-angle stuff, an interview with Roger Daltrey, a featurette about the film's restoration, and an isolated John Entwistle audio track.

So this sale is still going on for other titles? I didn't have enough to get more than one today, but I would love to go back and see if I can get the Tori Amos one for that deal or if the Queen "We Will Rock You" disc is still on sale. There also is a Mavericks live disc I was hoping to pick up when it comes out 9/28 and I wonder if that would be in their sale. Guess I will have to head back this weekend or Tuesday to check it out again.
Old 09-23-04, 02:38 PM

I went back today to try and get the Genesis one but I was told they were off sale. But I saw the Queen and the Who still had the 9.99 stickers on them, but the Genesis one didn't. Just my luck I buy the ones that still hav ethe stickers on them but forgot to get the the one that doesn't have the sticker any more. I was told that there was a new sale this week, any one know which ones this time?
Old 09-23-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
I did the same thing, thinking the Deluxe Edition would of course be the two-disc one.
I had, for a while, held off from buying it because I could never figure out which was which. This time, I just looked for the bigger one of the two (the one near me had both). At the time, I believe they said the second disc would be available for a limited time only, but, of course, they'd also have to sell out for that to matter...

But to answer your question, the second disc includes some multi-angle stuff, an interview with Roger Daltrey, a featurette about the film's restoration, and an isolated John Entwistle audio track.
Specifically (copied from DVDcompare):
• Roger Daltrey—An incredible new on-camera interview from this living legend.
• Multi Camera Angles—An extremely rare feature that is almost 100 minutes and featuring as many as six angles including a Pete cam, a Roger cam, a Moonie cam, and an Ox cam. **
• Making of the DVD—40-minute feature offering an in-depth look at how the film was restored.
• Audio Comparison—This eight-minute feature provides a direct side-by-side comparison of the before and after audio.
• Video Comparison—This six-minute feature provides a direct side-by-side comparison of the before and after so people can see what they've been missing all these 24 years!
• The Ox—A very special audio feature allowing the user to select an isolated audio track of legendary bassist John Entwistle. **
• The Who's London—An interactive feature offering the viewer a video tour of Who landmarks.
• Trivia Games—Questions to test your knowledge with a prize of a newly mixed 5.1 rendering of the album version of "Who Are You" playing a video light/slide show and a long lost recording of Ringo Starr.

[** = According to Amazon, the songs for these features are 'Baba O'Reilly' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again']

Hopefully, you'll think that's all superfluous ... oh, it comes in a slipcase too.
Old 09-23-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, is this sale over?
Old 09-25-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the sale is over. The Who Special Edition rang in at 29.99, which is $20 more than I was willing to pay for it.
Old 09-25-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
I did the same thing, thinking the Deluxe Edition would of course be the two-disc one. Guess it really doesn't matter because the one FYE near me didn't have it and the other one only had the Deluxe Edition, so it was that or nothing for $9.99.
Yesterday, Friday I returned to FYE to see how good my luck was in returning the "Deluxe" Edition, and getting the "Special" Edition knowing the sale had ended for The Who a couple of days before.

Fortunately I was able to exchange it as I hoped. I had my original receipt and explained I had been handed the Deluxe Edition thinking it was the one I wanted but later determined it was actually the Special I wanted due to it having the second disc. The Special rang up as $29.99 but the the clerk changed it to match the Deluxe and did an even exchange. So, in the end I paid $9.99 for the two disc version (and had used my $10 free gift card to boot).

FYE - Big thumbs up! (now who thinks Best Buy would have done this?)
Old 09-25-04, 11:27 PM

Glad to see more guys got in on this deal. The deal is dead now though. The Genesis and Queen DVD's are back up in price as well. Theres still quite a few on sale though. I've bought enough already! Noticed we were sent a large box of music DVD's today with some differant titles in there. I'm wondering if the sale will continue with these titles. Especially since Best of Bowie and Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars are in there (both MSRP at $34.99). If I find that to be the truth, I'll let you guys know. Again happy to give back around here. I've taken advantage of so many deals, I feel like I owe it to you guys!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.