Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DirecTivo question...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTivo question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DirecTivo question...

I've had this for a while now, but recently my reciever went bad, so I had to start over programming a brand new one.

I don't mind it recording things on its own that it thinks I will like, but how do I make it not bother recording things on all the channels I don't get? I'm tired of deleting 12 or so hours of programs everyday that it has recorded from HBO, Max, Sho, etc... I don't get any of these channels!

I did a search for this, but didn't find the answer.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-04, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you made changes yet to the list of "Channels You Receive" in setup? Tivo has no way of knowing which channels you don't get until you set that up, so if you haven't, go to DirecTV Central, go to Messages & Setup, then into My Preferences, and choose Customize Channels. Scroll down through the list and deselect any channel you don't receive (HBO, Max, Showtime, any MLB or NFL channels) and also any channels you never ever want to see (like the Home Shopping Networks, for example.) Choose "Done selecting Channels" at the bottom of the list when you're finished, and Tivo should now only record from the channels you left selected.
As an extra suggestion, you can then go into Favorite Channels and choose "Add All" and it will add all the channels you left selected. Then, set your Guide to show "Favorite Channels" and you never have to scroll past any channels DirecTV adds back in or moves (such as the seasonal sports package channels) if you don't want to.
Old 09-18-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I guess I did that at some time on my last unit, but I don't remember doing so. You'd think it would be smart enough to be able to tell whether or not you even get a channel, though.