Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Futurama Vol. 5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Futurama Vol. 5?

I love this show, its so damn funny!!!! Anyone know when the final season is going to be released on DVD? My guess tells me first half of 2005, but that's just a guess.
Old 09-18-04, 05:02 PM
Suspended

The Entire series was finished off with Vol.4 - so there won't be a Vol. 5
Old 09-18-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uhhh Vol 4 was the end... there are no more coming ever

Edit: Dang, clicked a second ahead of me.
Old 09-18-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you loved the show enough, you would have realized that all the episodes have already been put on dvd.

there is no 5th season to be put on dvd.
Old 09-18-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Lets explain it a bit better.

the Vol's were made up of the episodes as aired. Fox came up with Five seasons simply because with football delays and so forth, they had enough episodes to split seasons down to only a few episodes. So while there was a firth season on fox. It was made up of all the extra episodes that were not shown because of football season.

This is why each dvd set is called a Vol and not a season. All the episodes produced have been now placed on dvd. A Vol 5 would consist of air because there is nothing left to put onto dvd.
Old 09-18-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the Vol's were made up of the episodes as aired.
Actually, they're in order of production, not air date.

The list of episodes is here; the ones with production codes starting with 1ACV are on Volume 1, those with production codes starting with 2ACV are on Volume 2, etc.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 09-18-04 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-18-04, 06:10 PM

I read this a few days ago on http://www.moviehole.com
-Mike

More Futurama on the way?
Posted on Thr, 9-Sep-2004

The word around the campfire is that due to increasingly good sales on the “Futurama” DVD sets and Video Game, Fox may be firing up the grill on another season of Matt Groening’s show.

The series, which was on air for four seasons, never reached the heights of popularity achieved by “The Simpsons”, but was applauded by critics & fans everywhere.
At the time the show was “pulled indefinitely”, the rumour was that at least another season of the show was in the early to 50% complete stage of production, and may be “revisited further down the road”.

Well, according to a couple of sources, they may just have gotten a little further down the road, so hopefully for fans of the show, there will be more Fry, Bender, Leela and Dr. Zoidberg on the way this time next year!
Old 09-18-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I swear to god that the folks at Fox are morons. First Family Guy, now this. "Whoops, we had no idea that these shows were popular. We did our best to try and bury them in the schedule, but they still managed to get a following". To their credit, at least they realize their mistake, and are trying to possibly bring the shows back in some form. But it doesn't make up for them screwing things up in the first place. Lets hope they do things right the second time around, because both shows were/are great.
Old 09-18-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by darkjediknight7
I read this a few days ago on http://www.moviehole.com
-Mike

More Futurama on the way?
Posted on Thr, 9-Sep-2004

The word around the campfire is that due to increasingly good sales on the “Futurama” DVD sets and Video Game, Fox may be firing up the grill on another season of Matt Groening’s show.

The series, which was on air for four seasons, never reached the heights of popularity achieved by “The Simpsons”, but was applauded by critics & fans everywhere.
At the time the show was “pulled indefinitely”, the rumour was that at least another season of the show was in the early to 50% complete stage of production, and may be “revisited further down the road”.

Well, according to a couple of sources, they may just have gotten a little further down the road, so hopefully for fans of the show, there will be more Fry, Bender, Leela and Dr. Zoidberg on the way this time next year!
Debunked:

Rumours "utterly false"

As Andie reported a week ago, there have been some rumours about partially finished episodes which were said to have a good chance of getting into production. We had our reservations there. Today, "The Movie Hole" posted a new article which states:
At the time the show was put on hiatus by the network, there were multiple episodes in the early to 50% stage of development (of what was actually the fifth season of the show), and while these won’t be appearing on television anytime soon, Fox has apparently commissioned the remainder of these episodes to appear in another DVD box set [...]

This has since spread around the internet with some sites talking about yet more unrevealed sources indicating said things.

So, I asked Futurama's executive producer David X. Cohen to clarify the situation. His answer was
"I have no idea where any of this is coming from. [...] Everything in [the article] is utterly false. Someone is having fun torturing the show's fans with phony info, I'm afraid."
About the real status of the show, he said:

"There are zero scripts in any partial stage of writing, animation, or development. DVD sales have been very good, so we'll continue lobbying Fox periodically to consider making new episodes. But nothing is happening at present."
So there you go.

(News from http://GotFuturama.com.)

Every few months you get rumors like this pop up. At the current time fox isn't going to bring it back. and there is no Volume 5 on the way.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-18-04 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-18-04, 07:17 PM
Banned

Thanks Jack for clearing that up. tvtome.com lists that there were 5 seasons, so I'm glad you cleared this up. for me.It's a little sad that such a great show didn't get the credit it truly deserved but oh well.
Old 09-18-04, 08:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by cultshock
I swear to god that the folks at Fox are morons. First Family Guy, now this. "Whoops, we had no idea that these shows were popular. We did our best to try and bury them in the schedule, but they still managed to get a following".

And yet they keep renewing that piece of crap "King of the Hill." I have never once laughed at that show. Mike Judge must be doing someone over at the network.
Old 09-18-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Debunked:
Rumours "utterly false"

Ah, crap.
Old 09-18-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Dalvin
Thanks Jack for clearing that up. tvtome.com lists that there were 5 seasons, so I'm glad you cleared this up. for me.It's a little sad that such a great show didn't get the credit it truly deserved but oh well.
well they are correct. there was five seasons. just not five dvds since they are going by volumes and not seasons.
Old 09-18-04, 11:15 PM

well they are correct. there was five seasons. just not five dvds since they are going by volumes and not seasons.
actually no, there are 4 seasons and 4 volumes. the so called "5th season" are just the shows that got pushed off the air ways because of football and other such shows. The "5th season" are just the shows from season 4 that they never aired.
Old 09-18-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

there are 4 seasons and 4 volumes. the so called "5th season" are just the shows that got pushed off the air ways because of football and other such shows. The "5th season" are just the shows from season 4 that they never aired.
You do realize that in this statment you said that there is a 5th season. So you are going against what you said in the first part of your statement. If you read the thread you'll notice that I already pointed out that the 5th season was just episodes that where pushed back...

So while there was a firth season on fox. It was made up of all the extra episodes that were not shown because of football season.
So the "so called 5th season" is really a 5th season. Fox stopped ordering more episodes because it had enough to cover 2 seasons. There was a 5th season. Seems pretty logical to me.

http://www.tvtome.com/Futurama/eplist.html

see, five seasons. It was five seasons not four. That is why the original poster got confused. he must have seen that there was five seasons and assumed there was five volumes to come out (not to mention he already comfirmed this belief).

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-19-04 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-19-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
There are four production seasons and five broadcast seasons. Stop bickering over nonsense! Christ!
Old 09-19-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well what else is there to discussion in this thread?

No more Volumes of the dvds coming out and the rumor was debunked. We are just trying to grasp something to discuss.
Old 09-19-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
When I think of this series I think of satire done to perfection. This is really a series that will be missed. It wasn't geared for a mass audience, but I think that is what I liked most about it. All the stuff I got that I knew people missed and rewatching the episodes to catch the stuff even I missed the first time through.

I wish there was another volume coming, but alas this is one series I'm thrilled to have complete on DVD.
Old 09-19-04, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by THX7966
And yet they keep renewing that piece of crap "King of the Hill." I have never once laughed at that show. Mike Judge must be doing someone over at the network.
king of the hill is actulley a pretty good show i like futurama but it got cancelled because the ratings were piss poor koth gets pretty good ratings mainly because of the premise its about a family since futurama is more sci-fi it doesnt have much mainstream appeal its mainly nerds and outcasts who like it. no offense. im not trying to bash futurama its a good show but its not for everyone.
Old 09-19-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've always felt that King of the Hill has survived because it comes on right before the Simpsons. If Fox would have kept Futurama on the same night as Simpsons it might have survived as well. Unfortunatley they kept moving it all over the place while King of the Hill was allowed to settle into a steady time slot. I still feel that certain people at Fox wanted Futurama to fail. My opinion of course, but it always seemed like they were hiding it in the schedule.

I like King of the Hill, but of course I grew up around people like Hank Hill in Texas.
Old 09-19-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to agree with darkside here. King of the hill has survived for many reasons. two of which is it's timeslot right before simpsons and it's cheap cost of production. Futurama had a huge budget because of the 3d effects. Family guy also had a high budget because seth wanted an orcastra(sp) for the episodes.

Futurama's failure could be connected to Fox putting it in a timeslot that is doomed because it didn't control it as much as they have over simpsons. So why promote a show that they don't fully control? The time slot was awful when football season came about and the lack of promoting it was sad. But futurama was set up to fail sadly. King of the hill doesn't bring in the best ratings, but for it's cost, it works in it's timeslot.
Old 09-19-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the series but do not ever want to see more episodes at this point. I don't think they could bring back all the original creators, which would leave holes in some of it. The last episode ends the series nicely and I feel the series works well with what is there.

I, however, would not be opposed if they pushed for a Futurama movie at some point. I know some people have been clamouring for a Simpsons movie for years, but I think Futurama would work better, and with the series being over, could be "the next chapter" in the characters. It might be easier to pull creators together for a temp thing as well.
Old 09-19-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by outer-edge
I love the series but do not ever want to see more episodes at this point. I don't think they could bring back all the original creators, which would leave holes in some of it. The last episode ends the series nicely and I feel the series works well with what is there.

I, however, would not be opposed if they pushed for a Futurama movie at some point. I know some people have been clamouring for a Simpsons movie for years, but I think Futurama would work better, and with the series being over, could be "the next chapter" in the characters. It might be easier to pull creators together for a temp thing as well.
Agreed. I always see fans of cancelled series essentially begging for scraps of what were once great shows. Fans of Angel are doing this a lot these days. Once a show is cancelled and gone, that's it. It's done. Get over it. Move on. There are lots of other great shows on. (I guess we'll have to wait and see if Family Guy will prove me right or be an exception to my statement here).

Now a movie, on the other hand, does have the potential to be great, and I would love to see one.
Old 09-19-04, 08:39 PM

To clarify here: Family Guy is actually the cheapest of the Fox animated shows. (Seth MacFarlane specifically said, when it started, that it was much cheaper to produce than The Simpsons or King of the Hill -- both of which also use full orchestras for the music, BTW.) Part of the reason it's coming back is that it is relatively cheap, and the budget was cut by 10%, making it even cheaper; between the Fox airings, the Cartoon network reruns, and the DVDs, they'll be able to guarantee a profit.

The problem with reviving Futurama is simply that it's probably the most expensive of the Fox animated shows, because of all the special effects it requires. Combine that with the fact that the DVDs sold slightly less than Family Guy (though still very well), and that its ratings on Fox were even more problematic than FG's, and its prospects for renewal don't look as good. It's a shame because Futurama is much, much more deserving of another chance than Family Guy (which Fox already renewed twice despite stinky ratings and reviews), but them's the breaks.

Oh, and King of the Hill has been subjected to as many bad timeslots as Family Guy or Futurama. It got moved to Tuesday nights in mid-run, a disastrous move, but it held on; it's been shuffled around on Sunday nights and forced to compete with 60 Minutes and pre-empted for football, but it holds on and continues to get decent ratings in Fox's beloved 18-49 demographic. Probably because King of the Hill is funny. On the other hand, Family Guy is not funny, and it's popular with the beloved youth demographic, so that doesn't prove anything.

Last edited by Jaime_Weinman; 09-19-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What one thinks is funny doesn't matter. I personally find King of the hill even less funny the family guy and I really thought family guy wasn't funny. But the matter is that Fox put KING OF THE HILL in the 7:30 slot on sundays during the football season, so while it was still bumped on the east coast, the west coast got to see it. While futurama got the shaft even when football wasn't bumping it because of the post game show.

That and the syndication they show have made it a staple.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.