Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DOOM - the movie, starring Eomer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So apparently Karl Urban is the new man for the Doom movie. Ok. And the director is the guy who did Cradle to the Grave. Ok.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040915b.php

Now, I think Doom, if handled properly could be a fun kick ass action movie. If made along the lines of Predator and made to be a horror/action movie, with straightforward characters it could be a decent movie.

Not sure why we need a plot about Karl exacting revenge of his parents. Isn't demon killin enough? This was always going to be fluff, and I guess I never expected it to be, but I always thought a big budget demon killing space marine movie sounded like fun. But none of this sounds that great so far. But I'll keep my hopes up cause I love me them good action movies where things get blowed up real good.
Old 09-18-04, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what? no love for the rock?
Old 09-18-04, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Eomer??
Old 09-18-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
"I do not doubt the strength of his heart, just the reach of his jump and lack of blue key and PDA to open doors"

or

"What business does a Cacodemon, an Imp, and a Cyberdemon have in the Riddermark?"

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-18-04 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-18-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Eomer??
Karl Urban played Eomer in the Lord of the Rings movies.
Old 09-18-04, 09:02 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
... and don't forget Lord Vaako in The Chronicles of Riddick!
Old 09-18-04, 09:05 AM

DOOM could be alright (somehow I doubt this will come to be a great movie, though)..

But I'm really waitin' for a Duke Nukem movie. Bruce Campbell is getting too old.. Who could fill the shoes?
Old 09-18-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They might make a Duke Nukem movie after "Duke Nukem Forever" gets released. :P

That means our great-grandchildren will be able to see the movie.
Old 09-18-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Karl Urban played Eomer in the Lord of the Rings movies.
that character's name isn't ringing any bells.
Old 09-18-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
He was also in the Bourne Supremacy.
Old 09-18-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 09-18-04, 02:47 PM

Problem: it's still slated to have a PG-13 rating. You know, like Aliens Vs. Predator.
Old 09-18-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

AvP was crap not because of the PG-13 rating, but because it was written and directed by someone who has their head up their ass.
Old 09-18-04, 04:05 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Eomer was the captain of the Roherim Riders.

Wormtongue had him kicked out with the rest of the Riders. They bumped into Aragon, Gimli and Legolas as they were riding away from slaughtering the Oruk-hi (when Pippin and Merry escaped). He showed up again at the end when Gandolf came back to Helm's Deep.
Old 09-18-04, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Cornell
Problem: it's still slated to have a PG-13 rating. You know, like Aliens Vs. Predator.
God, why?!?!?! I wish Hollywood would get past watering down pre-existing R-rated franchises. I agree with the original poster that Doom could be a really fun movie--but man, it's got to be over-the-top violent for it to even have a chance. I'm thinking of Starship Troopers here, or Kill Bill volume 1. Have the people making the movie even played the game?
Old 09-18-04, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
AvP was crap not because of the PG-13 rating, but because it was written and directed by someone who has their head up their ass.
True, but you can't make a Doom movie pg-13 and still have it be good. Well, you could, but it would have to be something completely removed from what the game was. I mean, this will be an exploitation movie...as everyone expected from AVP. The lack of an R rating on Doom just means it'll be watered down stupid action movie, when the games were uber-violent demon killing games. Kinda pointless to make the game. It's kind of like the Mortal Kombat movies. Sure it's about money, to to have a movie with no gore based on a game that, by all means, was popular because of its gore is just a little silly in my opinion. The same will go for Doom.
Old 09-18-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

you might get away with it simply because violence against fantasy creatures such as a cyber demon or imp isn't going to fall under R ratings as much as the graphic depliction of a human character getting shredded to pieces by said baron of hell.
Old 09-18-04, 10:11 PM

you might get away with it simply because violence against fantasy creatures such as a cyber demon or imp isn't going to fall under R ratings as much as the graphic depliction of a human character getting shredded to pieces by said baron of hell.
Sure you could get away with that, but I can say without a doubt I don't want to see that. Not to mention Doom was also very much filled with zombies and very human looking demons too. Not to mention gutted bodies and whatnot, plus very demonic and dark atmosphere. Of course, this is just another movie that really I shouldn't be holding out much hope for...while no doubt the shitty writing and direction will bring this down like AVP, I seriously doubt any good director would ever approach either AVP or Doom as pg-13 material (granted most good directors would never do these movies, but I think you know what I mean).
Old 09-18-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never said I would want to see it either. I want to see full gore. Human flesh ripping apart. but since the question was posed on if it could be done well with a pg-13 rating, the answer is.. yes.. but if done correctly.
Old 09-18-04, 11:09 PM

I never said I would want to see it either. I want to see full gore. Human flesh ripping apart. but since the question was posed on if it could be done well with a pg-13 rating, the answer is.. yes.. but if done correctly.
Well true in theory it could be well done. But you have to admit, it really wouldn't be anything like the game to be like that. But in all truth, my perspective on this is that...same with AVP...these are not films being made by Scorcese or Kubrick and such. For that reason, all I really expect and hope for is the gratuitous violence and special effects and gore. Honestly if it was in the hands of a better filmmaker, I seriously doubt anyone would've complained (well some would but I wouldn't). But in the hands of these uninteresting directors, it's gore and violence I'm hoping for. You should know though, I do enjoy those exploitative elements even in mediocre movies. They can make a movie far more enjoyable, hence my derision of the AVP rating.

And this coming from the director of Cradle to the Grave....eh. We'll see. I still am wondering who thought having the space marine worrying about his dead parents was a good idea.
Old 09-20-04, 01:56 AM

If their blood is green, they might be able to get away with zombie splatters, too. Doesn't matter.. this movie will live and die on the strength of its action and tension.. not gore. Also, big ass monsters. If they can pull off a couple of good scenes of the marines unloading their machine guns into huge ass monsters in one take (not too much cutting to hide their lack of budget or shitty monster effects), then I'll be happy.
Old 09-20-04, 02:24 AM

it'll definitely be high quality, video games always transfer to film oh so well
Old 09-20-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Mortal Kombat was a fun movie. Now the sequel...
Old 09-20-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The sequel sucked bolas....
Old 09-20-04, 07:53 PM

eomer was pretty badass the few screen time he got in the bourne supremacy