Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ahoy: Should I buy an Xbox for Fable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy an Xbox for Fable?

I've been pretty much away from gaming for about 2 or 3 years now. The last game system I bought was a PS2 when it was released which now resides in my 13 year old son's room. At the time Xbox was released I was less interested in games and already had a PS2 so I passed on it. This new Fable game really has my interest (I really liked the Zelda game for N64) and with Halo2 coming out I was thinking of giving it a try.

So is it worth it to buy one now or should I wait to see how soon the Xbox 2 will be released and see if it has backwards compatability? Is Fable a good enough game to warrant buying a system for?

Last edited by chipmac; 09-19-04 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-18-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the reviews, no, it apparently didn't live up to the hype. It ended up being a good but not great game, and it probably isn't worth purchasing an XBOX for that game alone. Then again I honestly haven't played it, but in general I have heard its good but not great.

Do you have many games for the PS2? You should catch up on your PS2 library first (before purchasing another system for one game), plenty of great games have come out in the last 2-3 years that you could catch up on, and many are very cheap.

Also not sure if you knew but Nintendo is releasing another Zelda for the gamecube next year, and it looks to be more like Ocarina of Time for the N64 than Wind Waker from the previews. My advice would be to hold off on buying an XBOX, catch up on your PS2 and see how the new Zelda looks.
Old 09-18-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The guys at Penny Arcade (who, despite hit-or-miss humor, generally have sharp and accurate gaming insights) hated it. Sounds incredibly boring.

- David Stein
Old 09-18-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I would not buy a console to play a 12 hour game. It wouldn't be a terrible purchase on its own, but I don't think it will be worth spending $200 to play.

Fable looks interesting, but didn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype or end up as revolutionary as predicted. Its an incredible example of shrewd marketing and hype turning an above average game into an A+ calibur seller.

Last edited by darkside; 09-18-04 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-18-04, 04:43 AM

I had fully intended on buying an XBOX for this game, but the reviews turned me off. I guess I'll wait for Halo 2.
Old 09-18-04, 05:01 AM

Fable - no
Knights of the Old Republic - YES

Old 09-18-04, 05:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Crizzar
Fable - no
Knights of the Old Republic - YES

If you have a PC, you don't need to buy another console for KOTOR.
Old 09-18-04, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Yes, Fable is awesome. It's not, I repeat not a 12 hour game. I am 5 hours in and still in the first area.
Old 09-18-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for fable? no, i wouldn't.
Old 09-18-04, 09:56 AM

If you have to ask others, "Should I buy XYZ?", the answer is always "No".

Why would you have to be talked into buying something videogame-related? The impulse should be irresistable; if it's not, you're making a mistake.

Now, as for Fable itself, you're going to get (and already are getting) echoes of a particular 'professional' review or two from people who haven't played the game, so I don't know how those answers help you.

Try to seek out views from around different boards from those who have actually played it (a category which doesn't include me yet) to see if their writings push you into "I gotta have it" mode.
Old 09-18-04, 10:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Yes, Fable is awesome. It's not, I repeat not a 12 hour game. I am 5 hours in and still in the first area.
It's a 12-hour game if you're a reviewer with a deadline who is trying to finish as quick as possible. Then again, so is KOTOR.
Old 09-18-04, 10:34 AM

I usually find that the time estimates for finishing games are way off for the average player (one who may have a job, significant other, kids or hobbies besides marathon game sessions).

That being said, I wouldn't buy an XBOX for Fable. I would buy an XBOX for Fable, HALO 2, Splinter Cell 3, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2 or any number of other excellent games to come.

Fable, while it may not live up to the hype, is still a great game. Few if any games could have met the expectations they set up for Fable. I'm getting a little worried for Halo 2.
Old 09-18-04, 12:31 PM

Get one for the multitude of great games on the system. And make sure you get the component video cables for your Mits too.

NFL2K5
NHL2K5
Burnout 3
Ninja Gaiden
Fable
KOTOR
Halo 2 is getting closer.

Are all very good and will look great on your rig.
Old 09-18-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would not get an Xbox just to play Fable. It isn't worth it, imo.
Old 09-18-04, 03:44 PM

I would buy an Xbox for Azurik.
Old 09-19-04, 01:04 AM

I love the game, but wouldn't buy any console just for one game... at least not a new console (used maybe). But since there are many other exclusives that are great too, I'd get one for Fable and KOTR 2 etc..etc.

As for the reviews.. I always take them with a grain of salt... they always seem so whiney.... :-)
Old 09-19-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I haven't gotten that far into the game, but from what I have played I wouldn't buy a console around it. The ridiculous amount of times you have to load just for some little small area can get irritating quickly. It is fun, and I will probably end up buying it instead of bumming off my friend's copy, but I think I'm going to wait for the pricedrop.
Old 09-19-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking that I'll see if there's an Xbox price drop to $99 around Christmas. If there is I'll pick it up at that price. I figure even if I want it for Fable and Halo, my son will enjoy it for some of the others.
Old 09-19-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I am not that impressed by Fable so far, but I kinda figured I wouldn't be after the showings at the last two E3 conventions. The graphics are merely decent... the story isn't anything really new... the gimmick is that you can go good or evil and your character's appearance changes - big whoop. It does seem to be a pretty solid game with plenty of tedium and slow parts - I imagine it would have re-play value for those who like it. It's lacking a certain charm so far, but maybe it'll grow on me. I think alot of reviews you read (my thoughts on the game included) are a little bit skewed based on the expectations people had for the game.

In short - Fable alone isn't good enough to warrant a console purchase, but an Xbox is certainly a worthy purchase at 150 bucks. And it won't be 99 bucks at christmas.
Old 09-19-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too wouldn't buy an xbox for any one game. But there are plenty out there worth owning an xbox for. Especially hooked up 5.1ss and hooked up high def to your big screen mits! I love mine even at 480p the HD games look amazing. The sound in Halo still has me trippin. Can't wait on Halo 2
Old 09-19-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
To be fair to the Xbox few games on any system are worth buying a whole console for. Some could make an arguement for GTA 4 or Halo 2 of course. However, if you look at the library for a console and see several games that are must haves the $150 gets easier to swallow. Xbox has some good stuff already on the market and big titles like KOTR2 and Halo 2 out by Christmas.

Really it depending on the games you like. I could recommend all three consoles at this point in their life. All three have built up some pretty impressive libraries.
Old 09-19-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why isn't Fable coming out for PC?

This business about the game changing as you perform good/evil deeds...kinda like KOTOR, only your appearance changes as well?
Old 09-19-04, 11:42 PM

I have to say that I don't think it's worth buying an XBOX for Fable...it's just not worth it.