Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas: "Watch Star Wars in this order: I, II, III, IV, V, VI."

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-17-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the new EW:

[P.S. THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS REGARDING EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH AND ITS CONTINUITY WITH EPISODES IV-VI.]

"[the order you should watch the movies in 2010 as a newcomer] is I, II, III, IV, V, VI. Part of the fun for me is that one generation will have seen it backwards. For the next generation that sees it from I to VI, there are a lot of things IV that were just fantastic in 1977 - you know, the cantina- which aren't going to work. IN those days, you didn't put monsters in a bar. A monster was a thing that came from a spaceship and act everybody. Now every sci-fi bar you walk into has got aliens.

"But what's really important is the story, and the development of the characters. Now, once you get to IV, you know Darth Vader's the main character because you saw him in the previous movies. So when Darth Vader walks in, you say, oh, my God. Now, when you come across Princess Leia, you know that's his daughter right away, and you think, does he know? No, he doesn't know. Or does he know? And when you cut down to the planet and see Luke, you go, oh, my God, that's Darth Vader's son, and Ben Kenobi has been waiting all this time to send him on his adventure. You're waiting for them to realize who everybody is. So it is a completely different movie."

I must say I thought it would work out better if we didn't know who Vader was at the end of III; clearly Lucas is going the other way, and it sounds like he's got the right idea after all!!

Last edited by Toad; 09-17-04 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-17-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lucas: "Watch Star Wars in this order: I, II, III, IV, V, VI."

Originally posted by Toad
I must say I thought it would work out better if we didn't know who Vader was at the end of III; clearly Lucas is going the other way, and it sounds like he's got the right idea after all!!
Are you high? Watching it Lucas' way, you spend most of Star Wars and Empire waiting for the characters to catch up to what you already know. It also guts the emotional climax of Empire.

Lucas has lost his mind.
Old 09-17-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Me: Suck my balls, George.
Old 09-17-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So you would have preferred that Vader isn't revealed to the audience until IV?
Old 09-17-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

P.S. Later in the article, he says
Spoiler:
Vader is in ROTS for 2 minutes.

That seems to be exactly what I want!
Old 09-17-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion George but I'll watch it in the same screwed up sequence you showed it in theaters.
Old 09-17-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
The reason Vader was Mr. Badass is because we didn't know who he was. To watch him start off a whiny p***y really fucks up IV, V, VI and gives him no credibility.
Old 09-17-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way, for those of you getting violent, this entire post was an answer to this question posed by the EW writer:

"Say that it's 2010, and I'm a 10-year old coming to Star Wars movies for the first time. Should I start with A New Hope or The Phantom Menace?"

Clearly he's not mandating this; it's just a suggestion. Settle down young padawans.
Old 09-17-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He characterizes the entire saga as being about Anakin losing his humanity and being resurrected by his children, saying "we all have to make up for our fathers, you know. Believe me, our kids are really going to have a job making up for the sins that are going on right now. That's a classic theme - if one generation succombs, it's up to the next generation to redeem that generation."

I like that way of looking at it, and it makes watching Vader as a whiny kid more bearable. We see how this little brat gets tricked into turning on all his friends, his wife, etc.; he goes from greatness to badness, totally fucking up the universe. Ultimately the only thing that can save him is his son that he didn't even know he had. What drives his son to face him so violently? Dad starts taunting him about his twin sister. I like the whole redemption thing.
Old 09-17-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOW! He also says, regarding Anakin's turn to the Dark Side:
Spoiler:
The contraversy is going to be that people expect some horrible, horrific thing to happen to Anakin that caused him to become Darth Vader. It's much subtler. It's something everybody faces -- when you're looking at yourself, you can see your good and your bad, and say "Is this a selfish choice or is this a compassionate choice? And once I get something, what would I do to keep from losing it? Would I make a pact with the devil to keep it?

Man ROTS is going to be awesome!
Old 09-17-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Fucl kucas!!!
Old 09-17-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Fucl kucas!!!
I think you mean 'Fuck Lucas'
Old 09-17-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
jesus christ, this guy gets more delusional by the minute..

would someone shave his head and slap an 1138 on it already...
Old 09-17-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 09-18-04 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's always in a lose-lose situation. I respect him for doing it his way.

Anyone that thinks you should watch it IV, V, VI, I, II, III has no appreciation for continuity and time.
Old 09-17-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Right.
Old 09-17-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Of course, not wanting to know specifics about ROtS, I chose not to read any
Spoiler:
spoiled
text, so it could contain some earthshattering information that could have his reasoning make sense...
Old 09-17-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Anyone that thinks you should watch it IV, V, VI, I, II, III has no appreciation for continuity and time.
Then maybe he should have SHOT it that way.
Old 09-17-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
no he has a point. from now on I need to watch Momento in the order of chronological time.
Old 09-17-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yep, just like anyone who watches Pulp Fiction has no appreciation for continuity and time.
Old 09-17-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Reading these threads, I would be extremely leery about drinking any Kool-Aid at the Ranch.

I get this mental image of Lucas on the roof, slurring through a loudspeaker about how Greedo shooting first was always his original vision, while an army of midgets gun down anyone who won't take the Jedi Juice.
Old 09-17-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awful examples. Those movies were shot stylistically for effect. These movies were not.

Again, all of you people getting so upset don't have to do this. It's not a rule, it's not a law; in fact it's not even aimed at you. It's merely a suggestion for a future audience who hasn't seen the movies before.
Old 09-17-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Reading these threads, I would be extremely leery about drinking any Kool-Aid at the Ranch.

I get this mental image of Lucas on the roof, slurring through a loudspeaker about how Greedo shooting first was always his original vision, while an army of midgets gun down anyone who won't take the Jedi Juice.
Old 09-17-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Good to know the actors who played the Ewoks still have jobs!
Old 09-17-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, for those of you getting violent
Just because someone disagrees with you or your god does not mean they are getting violent.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.