Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Plasma vs. LCD vs. DLP vs. CRT

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this issue has been discussed before but please bear with me. Of all the types I've mentioned, which one is the way to go?

I hear LCD has problems with fast action and can never have as good pic quality as CRT. Plasma fades after 30,000 hours and has the burn-in problem like LCD. I've heard good things about DLP but it has a limited viewing angle.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which is the way to go is a personal preference since each technology has some plusses and negatives. You need to decide which negatives and plusses are important to you. My preference is CRT but it has more maintenance issues like convergence and the risk of burn in is there if you don't take it out of torch mode and vary your viewing but it provides the most filmlike image.
Old 09-17-04, 12:37 AM

Go with what looks the best to your eyes. Each technology has its strong points and weaknesses.

BTW, current generation plasmas have a 60k hour half life. That's the time it takes to reach half brightness. For reference, at half brightness, most reasonably quality plasmas will still be brighter than a CRT television set will ever get, brand new.
Old 09-20-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
The current Panasonic Plasmas are like 60,000 hours. Thats like over 10 years of hours of pleasure 7 days a week. I don't know about you but in 10 years I want to be with 1080P.

-ant
Old 09-21-04, 04:21 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I went with plasma and don't regret it, will probably go for my 2nd one next year, ny first is an EDTV.

I like the space it takes up more than anything else, the picture on the panasonics are excellent, and as sonic said the burn in would take years of watching, and in 10 years time, I am certain that a 42" Plasma or LCD or whatever will be about 500 dollars.
Old 09-21-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy

I like the space it takes up more than anything else, the picture on the panasonics are excellent, and as sonic said the burn in would take years of watching, and in 10 years time, I am certain that a 42" Plasma or LCD or whatever will be about 500 dollars.
Exactly. There are so many myths about Plasmas that need to be put to rest. The new Panasonic Plasmas that are coming out have a contrast of 4000:1 That should put to rest concern about black level.

I am waiting for their 50" to go down a bit or find a great deal on it

There are ways to avoid burn-in. Just don't put that display so high in brightness or leave images paused for such a long time continuous.

-ant
Old 09-21-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sonic the amount of contrast a display has and the amount of black level detail it can display are two different things. Plasmas, LCDs or DLPs still can't provide the level of black detail that a good old CRT can.
Old 09-23-04, 12:55 PM

I hear DLPs are the way to go now given price and pic quality.
Old 09-23-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Sony HD Plasma 42"

HD Cable looks stunning
DVD leaves much to be desired

Next I want something in the +60" range so it may be RP LCD... the Panasonic tabletops look really nice.
Or perhaps a projector for watching DVDs (but less likely).
Old 09-23-04, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by JCJF10
I have Sony HD Plasma 42"

HD Cable looks stunning
DVD leaves much to be desired

Next I want something in the +60" range so it may be RP LCD... the Panasonic tabletops look really nice.
Or perhaps a projector for watching DVDs (but less likely).
What about the DVD picture? Is it bad or something?
Old 09-24-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I just bought a Panasonic PT-50DL54 DLP and I'll get it next wednesday. Woooooooo!

The current generation of DLP (Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi) with the HD2+ chip produce excellent black levels.
Old 09-25-04, 06:18 AM

Re: Plasma vs. LCD vs. DLP vs. CRT

Plasma fades after 30,000 hours and has the burn-in problem like LCD. I've heard good things about DLP but it has a limited viewing angle.

Anyway, thanks in advance. [/B]
I dunno, I recently made the move to LCD and helped someone else buy one as well and the picture quality blows away any CRT I have ever owned. I went LCD as Plasma is out of my budget and I got one for 1/4 of the price of the nearest comparable plasma. My picture is lovely and bright, it's true that really dark images don't look quite as nice as they should, but 95% of the time things look uber clear.

I also get minamal colour bleeding thatmay be evident in one scene out of 10 DVD's and then only in the CG ones with super duper high contrast scenes. I havn't noticed any refresh issues and when I leave a game on pause I turn off the screen like I always have done anyway which should elimate any chances of screen burn?

I also like the size of my LCD, when I move, it will be a breeze which is handy when flatting.

I have a Panasonic LCD and have also had experiance with SHARP - both are brill.
Old 04-13-05, 07:07 AM

So are LCDs and plasmas getting better in terms of overcoming their defects? Because if the answer is no, I'm sticking with my choice of DLP.
Old 04-13-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, they are better. For flat panels or RPTVs of the LCD type, I see even the cheap ones look much better than any of them did 1 year ago. Plasma just needs to come down in price, which it has. The technology is still solid.

LCD projectors have come a long way in the black level department. The current Sony has amazing contrast numbers and excellent blacks. Some of the brighter LCD PJs can use a filter to get impressive blacks and contrast, too. They're far better than most people expected LCD to achieve.

Even so, I'll be ordering a DLP soon. Because they are still better on this issue.
Old 04-13-05, 04:04 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Wozza
I dunno, I recently made the move to LCD and helped someone else buy one as well and the picture quality blows away any CRT I have ever owned. I went LCD as Plasma is out of my budget and I got one for 1/4 of the price of the nearest comparable plasma. My picture is lovely and bright, it's true that really dark images don't look quite as nice as they should, but 95% of the time things look uber clear.

I also get minamal colour bleeding thatmay be evident in one scene out of 10 DVD's and then only in the CG ones with super duper high contrast scenes. I havn't noticed any refresh issues and when I leave a game on pause I turn off the screen like I always have done anyway which should elimate any chances of screen burn?

I also like the size of my LCD, when I move, it will be a breeze which is handy when flatting.

I have a Panasonic LCD and have also had experiance with SHARP - both are brill.

I imagine you are talking about LCD rear projection based on your comments on cost and I would have to seriously disagree. I've never seen a LCD RP that could match a CRT. I would put a Sony XBR or a Toshiba FST monitor up against any LCD all day long, even a SD CRT has a better picture on standard broadcast then any LCD. I have a DLP so I am not a CRT purist, I just think rear projection of any kind is a matter of size and weight not picture quality.
Old 04-13-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy the LCD picture and the ability to hang it.
Old 04-15-05, 03:24 AM
sdk

I am thinking of buying the 50 inch fujitsu 40 series plasma, and i do prefer the picture to lcd. Don't enjoy dlp picture, i have rainbow sensitive eyes it appears. And i will never buy another panasonic tv after owning the pd30. And even if it fades to half brigtness after 30000 hours that is 11 years of watching it seven hours a day. And burn in is not that big a issue any more, you should be carefull the first 200 hours but after that chances are small. Unless you keep you contrast at factory settings, then burn in is a sure thing. And if you are thinking of buying a plasma, you should check out the fujitsu 40 series 50" and over. It is the best picture quality i have seen on any tv, but still it is expensive. I will have to pay nearly 10000 dollars for it, you get it cheaper though, around 8000 i think it was.
Old 04-15-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Don't forget the room you are putting it in. I still believe a properly (professionally) calibrated CRT will provide a better image then anything else out there. However, I also believe that room needs to have some really good light control. Some I have seen are even as sensitive to light as a FP.

That is the issue I have. In my living room I have two complete walls of windows. One all is at 90 degrees within a few feet of where the TV would go and another wall of windows behind the sitting area. Putting curtains up is not an option. The wall and windows are so big, curtains would just look terrible (I know this as when we bought the house it had curtains and looked terrible). So I will probably go with either LCD or DLP RP. But I'm still working on my media room with FP, so I likely won't worry about it till next year, so will see what is out then.
Old 04-15-05, 12:05 PM

How about Pioneer plasmas, how do they stack up to Panasonic in terms of reliability, durability and picture quality?
Old 04-18-05, 02:34 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peralphion
How about Pioneer plasmas, how do they stack up to Panasonic in terms of reliability, durability and picture quality?
I would like to know too. Costco seems to have pretty good deals on a Pioneer HD plasma.
Old 04-18-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Historically, the best is Fujitsu. Both Pioneer and Panny have used Fujitsu screens in their plasma TVs before. Even when they haven't used Fujitsu, these 2 have really been the cream of the crop. IMO. Pioneer has dumped some really nice "last year's" stuff at Costco before, just ask Shelland. I'd bet it's a pretty good set.

Note that this is all assumptions, I've never really looked at the current stuff at Costco.
Old 04-18-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm currently setting my sights on the Samsung HLR5087W. It's a DLP.
Old 04-20-05, 12:49 AM
Suspended

I have had my Hitachi 52" LCD for about 5 months and I love it! HD is astonishing! Especially sports in HD. DVD's look great IMO too
Old 04-20-05, 03:13 PM

I'm a little new to the lingo here are there two LCD definations one that is usually 15" or less and the big screen rear projection. The LCD rear proojection seems to give a lot for the money. I was watching them at Best By yesterday the darker scenes were hard to see. Why is this? Explain DLP Please? I am supprised more of you dont go for the big screen over head projection. Does it have some problems. I was considering going to a projector on the wall or pull down screen for both big screen size and small unit size?
Old 04-20-05, 07:54 PM

How's the news about thin tube CRT TVs? Are they available now?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.