Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

enough Star Wars! How about THX 1138?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
enough Star Wars! How about THX 1138?

anyone as impressed with this set as I am?
Old 09-16-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still waiting on my copy to get here.
Old 09-16-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember seeing THX 1138 a long time ago and not enjoying it. I was pretty young at the time though and would really like to give that film a second look. It may be one I enjoy much better now.
Old 09-16-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love the set....and have loved the film for years. just a little bummed that he can't just give us both versions. I'm very forgiving when it comes to film....but the addition of the monkey dwellers is a real sore spot for me. the changes to the surroundings I thought enhanced it rather well....but the CGI primates and the "oral masturbator" could have been left out. glad I still visit my tape copy. all just IMHO.

the dvd looks awesome. last night...I even sat through the music/effects only track and enjoyed it very much. just getting to disc 2 tonight.

overall....a superb release...minus my emotional feelings for the original cut. just like Star Wars...I'm still including it in my library.

are you now? or have you ever been? move slowly.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 09-16-04 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-16-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a blind buy pretty much for me and I loved it. Gonna watch it again this weekend and finish all the extras too. The quality of the movie is also reallly good.
Old 09-16-04, 02:45 PM

The documentary on Zoetrope is incredible. One of the best extras I've seen in a long time. This set really suprised me. I had high hopes and they were exceeded. The movie looks fantastic and I think most the changes add some depth to the film. It is hard to believe that this was made in 1969, it looks like it could have been released this year. Great set, go out and get it. Can't wait to see the original student film. This is how special editions should be done!
Old 09-16-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by prayformojo
Can't wait to see the original student film.
I picked this up about 4 years ago....and it's included on this dvd. the student film is a must have for THX fans.

Old 09-16-04, 03:45 PM

The student film is on disc two I think, atleast thats what it looks like from the packaging.

The movie was a blind buy for me, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it.
Old 09-16-04, 05:46 PM
Banned

Mine shipped on Wednesday from Amazon. Hopefully get it by at least Monday or so.
Old 09-16-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 09-16-04, 06:26 PM

anyone know why they have that brief clip from the old 30s Buck Rogers trailer before the movie?

i going to assume it has something to do with the contrast between the Buck Rogers future world and the THX-1138 future world.
Old 09-16-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, its still there.
Old 09-17-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really amazed at the bitrate. My player showed a consistent 8.0 - 9.5.

The only thing missing in this set is a comparison between the original and the director's cut.

It's amazing what they added, though. I never saw the original though but I could tell that some things had to be added as they couldn't do it back in 1970.
Old 09-17-04, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Grabastic
anyone know why they have that brief clip from the old 30s Buck Rogers trailer before the movie?

i going to assume it has something to do with the contrast between the Buck Rogers future world and the THX-1138 future world.
Listen to the commentary, is the first thing George talks about.

What a great month for DVD's Clerks X, Man on Fire, THX-1138, and The Holy Trilogy Star Wars.
Old 09-17-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, Sept has been a good month.

Is there a site with every change listed for THX? I have only seen the film once before back in the mid 80's when I was a kid and dont remember much. I mean you can pretty much tell most things but a few scenes are definitely new. Any other sites besides davisdvd's comparison page?
Old 09-17-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thing is beautiful, however, I still prefer the original cut. It was much starker, which really worked for it.
Old 09-17-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great set. I'll be listening to the commentary soon.

Grade: A-
Old 09-17-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I blind bought the two-discer, and am nothing but impressed with the entire set. I liked the feature (even though the middle is a bit tedious), and responded to it more on an aesthetic than emotional level. I'd be interested to watch it with the score/sound effects-only track.

The supplements are first-rate, although I thought the making-of documentary was a little low on any sort of home movie footage, but the American Zoetrope doc. did a nice job of putting the film in a film-cultural context.

Interesting, though, how pretty much everyone involved. misses the visual and thematic influence of the film (aside from a mention of Blade Runner in the making-of doc.). I had never seen the film before I bought the DVD, and on first viewing noticed an influence on Blade Runner and especially Gattaca. I'd also like to know how much Phillip K. Dick that Lucas or the screenwriter (can't remember his name) read before making the film.

Interesting commentary--haden't listened to a Lucas commentary before, but he's very informative.

Awesome set--ties with Hellboy for my DVD of the year so far. Transfer & sound are amazing, supplements are good, and the quality of the feature was suprising. I'd recommend it for anyone into cerebral sci-fi.

cheers

-the Jesus.
Old 09-18-04, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Looking forward to seeing this for the first time tonight, as part of my "Prepare for Star Wars" weekend, which begins tonight with THX-1138, continues tomorrow with "The Hidden Fortress", and then Monday with a back-to-back Episodes 1&2.

Anything I should know about 1138 before viewing tonight?
Old 09-18-04, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jough
Looking forward to seeing this for the first time tonight, as part of my "Prepare for Star Wars" weekend, which begins tonight with THX-1138, continues tomorrow with "The Hidden Fortress", and then Monday with a back-to-back Episodes 1&2.

Anything I should know about 1138 before viewing tonight?
Drink lots of beer before watching.
Old 09-18-04, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jarofclay73
I'm really amazed at the bitrate. My player showed a consistent 8.0 - 9.5.
Hmm...never checked the bitrate on THX, but I did on the Predator-CE which I watched right after THX and its bitrate was up there too at around 9 or so.

The only thing missing in this set is a comparison between the original and the director's cut.
Yeah, that'd be nice to see what all has changed.

It's amazing what they added, though. I never saw the original though but I could tell that some things had to be added as they couldn't do it back in 1970.
Yeah, seems like the opening sequence of the car chase (before they got into the tunnels) was definately CGI enhanced.
Old 09-19-04, 11:54 PM

Why isn't THX 1138 in THX? The new Star Wars collection will be in THX. Maybe thats the reason for the poor quality FBI Warning at the end of the credits.
Old 09-20-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a comparison between the old and new cuts here. Not sure how complete it is.
Old 09-20-04, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shroud
Why isn't THX 1138 in THX? The new Star Wars collection will be in THX. Maybe thats the reason for the poor quality FBI Warning at the end of the credits.
According to the back of the box, it is THX mastered.

If they omitted the THX trailer, it might be to not further confuse the average public on what THX is. Imagine you are Joe Six Pack watching this film and you are already confused about THX and then you are watching THX-1138 and it says that it is THX mastered. Your head might explode.

Last edited by Green Jello; 09-20-04 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Wow!

I hadn't seen the film before, so I was trying to pick out what I thought was new based on just seeing the film.

Usually such revisionist special effects irk me, but in THX-1138 I think pretty much every shot is an improvement. Most of the things are subtle and not stupid, like the addition of a giant slug that a character has to walk around. Also, the robot cops don't shoot first in this version - a definite plus.

I'm wondering now, though, whether I'd be so annoyed with the new cgi in Star Wars if I had seen the films first with the new shots.

Also, I don't know what Shroud is talking about - the film IS presented in THX-qualified sound and video. I thought it was great that the THX intro appeared before the film THX-1138.

One other thing I noticed is that the opening sound effects to Nine Inch Nails's "The Downward Spiral" is from this film. I'm always amused to find the origin of samples and such.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.