Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2LDK dvd quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-04, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2LDK dvd quality?

Question about TLA Releasing's "2LDK" dvd.

DvdVerdict.Com says this:
"TLA Releasing is also to be praised for providing this provocative film in a wonderful DVD package. Tsutsumi's control of color is important to understanding the world in which these women live, and the 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer is flawless in recreating this particular palette. The contrast is super-sharp, and the occasional monochrome moments (the director likes the delicate shifts between similar hues) are delightfully detailed. Aurally, the Dolby Digital Stereo is equally superb. From the voiceover narration that starts the film to the individual moments in which Nozomi or Lana "thinks" out loud, the sonic scenarios are integrated marvelously. This is a film that swings wildly between near silence and outrageous cacophony, and never once does the Japanese soundtrack (with accompanying English subtitles) let us down."

MonstersAtPlay.Com says this:
"2LDK is almost universally excellent, but watching it on this DVD is a bit of a mixed blessing. The picture exhibits a healthy amount of grain, especially in dark areas, though I'm not sure if this is due to the transfer or if it was present on the original print. The films' audio suffers as well; voices on the Dolby 2.0 track are weak and muffled, and the internal voiceovers are nearly unintelligible. 2LDK was never an audiovisual powerhouse, but it still manages to underwhelm a bit on TLA's package. It's nothing you can't live with, but the real kicker is the fact that the subtitles are not removable. They're burned onto the print, which not only means that you can't switch to another subtitle language, but the text itself is blurry and ends up being hard to read in places."

Anyone here care to comment the quality of the dvd since those two reviews contradict so much that I don't know what to think.
Old 09-15-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is "2LDK"?
Old 09-15-04, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
What is "2LDK"?
Me too.

The use of film acronyms here is getting out of hand. At least spell out the title in the first post people.

(POTC = Pirates of the Caribbean and Passion of the Christ)
Old 09-15-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,503 Posts
2LDK is the damn name of the film.
Old 09-15-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,503 Posts
Anyway, I haven't seen the disc yet, so I can't comment on the quality. The burned in subs are a negative though but I'll probably end up picking it up eventually.

(BTW, 2LDK is a acronym in Japan for an apartment with 2 bedrooms, living room, dining room and kitchen)
Old 09-15-04, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cultshock
2LDK is the damn name of the film.
Oh. That is pretty funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362387/
Old 09-15-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The picture quality sucks. It looks like an awful non-anamorphic transfer, just enhanced to fit an entire 16:9 screen. If you saw TLA's Suicide Club DVD, think of a transfer as bad as that, just enhanced. Similar to Suicide Club, the disc includes burned-in subtitles.

The Dolby Digital 2.0, is a bit better. It does it's job fine, but it's nothing I'd recommend.

The extras (minus the trailer) are all subbed, so no worries there. Lots of interview footage (almost 40 plus minutes worth).
Old 09-15-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
It's not the greatest visual presentation but, for this movie, it kinda seems right. It's a low-budget movie so I'm sure the original print wouldn't be the best. But I'm not watching on a large screen TV.

I never had issues with the subtitles being blurry. The internal voiceovers seemed odd-sounding at first because they are slightly left/right of center. Sometimes they were low... most times they were fine.
Old 09-15-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i havent seen this DVD yet, but after seeing Suicide Club from TLA, i would be shocked if it isnt terrible. i have seen the film though and the copy of it that i saw wasnt as bad as Matthew and that other review states this one is. just like with Suicide Club, i would guess that TLA messed this one up too, and it wasnt the source materials.
Old 09-16-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

just like with Suicide Club, i would guess that TLA messed this one up too, and it wasnt the source materials.
TLA go to the source?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA. It's just a shame a decent studio (Anchor Bay? Blue Underground? Media Blasters?) couldn't get their hands on Suicide Club and 2LDK, because they both deserve better releases than what TLA served up here.

Seriously, it looks like TLA took some sort of worn-out print of the film that had burned-in subtitles and put it on the DVD. It's a disgrace, but what can you do?