Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

General questions about DVD Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-04, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the stuid question. But I'm confused. Which one is true?

1. Bad quality DVD Player may ruin / defect / scratch your disc. This means we have to select PLAYER carefully if we want to preserve our collection. It's not just a matter of audio video quality.

2. Bad disc may ruin your player. This means you have to be selective on the MEDIA you are playing. No bootleg, pirated, questionable DVD-Rs, etc.

Which one is true? In what way? Or neither is true?
Old 09-15-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None of the above.
Old 09-15-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed.

As for #1, an excellent player that is not completely level will scratch your discs since it's playing them at a slant, even a very slight one.

Otherwise none of what you posted is true.
Old 09-15-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
As for #1, an excellent player that is not completely level will scratch your discs since it's playing them at a slant, even a very slight one.
You're kidding, right? A DVD drive clamps the disc so that the disc is always at the correct angle and distance from the pickup. The angle of the player has nothing to do with it.
Old 09-15-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No and No

Mr. Salty is giving good info. Every player I have seen whether portable or not either clamps the disc or in the portables has the little buttons that hold the disc. Most will play upside down/sideways etc. with no issues to the player or the disc.
Old 09-16-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
You're kidding, right? A DVD drive clamps the disc so that the disc is always at the correct angle and distance from the pickup. The angle of the player has nothing to do with it.
No, very true. More so with older models than new ones though. There was an issue with the original PS2's doing this when you put them on their side.

If it's happening you can hear the disc rub on which ever side of the drawer it's slanted on and you'll eventually get friction marks on that side of the drawer. It sounds very much like when you end up buying an unbalanced DVD or CD and play it. But then I suppose there's no such thing as an unbalanced DVD or CD either, right? You'll know it when you hear it.

Go back a couple years and you'd see lots of posts on message boards with people saying they were getting loud humming noises from their drives, is that OK? That's what their problem was.
Old 09-16-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cseyer
No and No

Mr. Salty is giving good info. Every player I have seen whether portable or not either clamps the disc or in the portables has the little buttons that hold the disc. Most will play upside down/sideways etc. with no issues to the player or the disc.
Mr. Salty is giving good info. to Mr. Salty.

Portables won't have this problem, they are meant to be moved around and what not. I'd like to see you use a standard DVD player upside down though.

Keep in mind there was a time when a CD ROM burner had to be in a computer on a hard flat table on a cement floor in order to burn properly. There is disc sway no matter how much you think something gets clamped down perfectly.
All discs wobble, most players are designed now to be able to read that though.
Old 09-16-04, 11:44 PM

Well, so I assume there's no way a DVD player can damage a disc while playing it.

On the other hand, a DVD (or other disc) can't damage the player either cause the palyer task is simply reading what is played herein.

I think that's the conclusion?
Old 09-17-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

YES.Unless the player is a retarded one.The built quality is so bad
Old 09-19-04, 07:54 AM
Cool New Member

I heard that if you play the free Weekend at Bernie's 2 from Papa John's that it will actually damage your DVD Player.

Sorry.