Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bah! What do you guys know about the new TV season anyway?!? Listen to the EXPERTS!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bah! What do you guys know about the new TV season anyway?!? Listen to the EXPERTS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From TVGuide.com:

Psychics' Fall TV Predictions
by Craig Tomashoff

Picking hit television shows is like choosing lottery numbers. From network executives to critics to the guy serving bagels at the craft-services table, everybody likes to think they have the right formula for picking winners. And, ultimately, hardly anyone is right. Since it's all guesswork anyway, TV Guide Online turned to an equally knowledgeable group — professional psychics — to divine which new series will be the big hits and misses this fall. (And just to keep the survey "scientific," our ethereal experts haven't actually seen the pilot episodes of any of these shows.)

The Amazing Kreskin, Mentalist

Biggest Hit
Medical Investigation (NBC)
"This is going to be one of the season's biggest surprises. There's a real excitement around it. It's not a reality show but it will seem very real to people."

Biggest Flop
Rodney (ABC)
"This is supposed to be a comedy but when I'm seeing it, I am in tears. I don't see it connecting with people."

James Van Praagh, Medium and Author

Biggest Hit
The Contender (NBC)
"This is really going to be a knockout because of the host, Sylvester Stallone. I see him having a career revival, and this is the start of his comeback."

Biggest Flop
Dr. Vegas (CBS)
"This will go away in maybe two weeks. Its star, Rob Lowe, is in a very bad downswing right now. He will be out of luck with this show."

Fran Baskerville, The Singing Psychic

Biggest Hit
Lost (ABC)
"This one will be really good. What I see is the letter A, like people are rating it as an A. They will love the action scenes."

Biggest Flop
Complete Savages (ABC)
"I don't see it as holding your interest. I'd say it won't last a whole year."

Nikki, Psychic to the Stars

Biggest Hit
CSI: New York (CBS)
"People are into that crime-solving thing. And I see the star, Gary Sinise, on stage getting an Emmy for his work in this one."

Biggest Flop
Listen Up (CBS)
"People like [star Jason Alexander] but I'm getting this vibe they will associate him too much with Seinfeld, so they won't tune in."

Averi Torres, Malibu's Resident Psychic

Biggest Hit
The Benefactor (ABC)
"Just hearing about this gives me an excited feeling. A [positive] energy comes to me."

Biggest Flop
Complete Savages (ABC)
"The energy around this one feels flat. It seems kind of sad."

Terri Kite, Soul Psychic

Biggest Hit
Lost (ABC)
"It will take half a season for it to really catch on. The premise [survivors of a plane crash are stranded on an island] is something people never want to go through, but they'll be fascinated by it."

Biggest Flop
Listen Up (CBS); House (Fox)
"Audiences will feel these shows are superficial and won't be grabbed by them. I'm not sure how long they'll run, but I see them going away by the end of the season."

Kenny Kingston, Legendary Celebrity Psychic

Biggest Hit
Hawaii (NBC)
"[The late Hawaii Five-O star] Jack Lord says that if they stay in focus, he predicts big success for it."

Biggest Flop
Joey (NBC)
"Milton Berle tells me that this one will be short-lived, depending on the guest stars they get."
So there.
Old 09-14-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
"Basement??? The Alamo doesn't have a basement!!!"
Old 09-14-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Kenny Kingston seems to have already lost his predictions! Should have flip-flopped those.
Old 09-14-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Kenny Kingston seems to have already lost his predictions! Should have flip-flopped those.
Don't be too hard on poor Kenny; I'm sure he just got the voices confused. Sometimes it's hard to tell a dead Milton Berle from a dead Jack Lord.

My favorite is:
Fran Baskerville, The Singing Psychic

Biggest Hit
Lost (ABC)
"This one will be really good. What I see is the letter A, like people are rating it as an A. They will love the action scenes."
*A*bsolutely *A*mazing! She's seeing an *A*--as in *A*stounding *A*ction scenes! As in J.J. *A*brams, who's creating the show!! As in *A*BC, the network it's on!! As in *A*in't It Cool News, who's been hyping the show non-stop! It's *A*ll so *A*wesomely *A*stonishing!!

Last edited by adamblast; 09-14-04 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 03:40 PM

Dr. Vegas - from the Pilot of this it looked like a complete waste of time. It just seemed like the took a bunch of ideas that work from other shows and hoped they worked.

Desperate Housewives - I think this is definately one of the best new shows on television this season, very funny, and it leaves a lot of questions to be answered over the next few episodes or seasons. A main Charcter is killed off in the first two minutes (Yes it's a main character), you find out everyone in town is evil but tries to appear perfect. The characters: A stay at home Mom, An Ex-Model, A Martha Stewart Like Woman, A Single Mother with a 13 year old daughter, A Widower with a secret, and a "Plummer" with secret.

Unfortunately I Don't know when either of these shows premiere.
Old 09-14-04, 03:42 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, however they came up with their predictions, I liked how all the predicted hits are hour-longs and all the flops except one are sitcoms.

Death to sitcoms!!
Old 09-14-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally posted by apchrist
Dr. Vegas - from the Pilot of this it looked like a complete waste of time. It just seemed like the took a bunch of ideas that work from other shows and hoped they worked.

Desperate Housewives - I think this is definately one of the best new shows on television this season, very funny, and it leaves a lot of questions to be answered over the next few episodes or seasons. A main Charcter is killed off in the first two minutes (Yes it's a main character), you find out everyone in town is evil but tries to appear perfect. The characters: A stay at home Mom, An Ex-Model, A Martha Stewart Like Woman, A Single Mother with a 13 year old daughter, A Widower with a secret, and a "Plummer" with secret.

Unfortunately I Don't know when either of these shows premiere.

Housewives premieres a week from Sunday. I too am looking forward to it.
Old 09-14-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by apchrist
Desperate Housewives - A main Charcter is killed off in the first two minutes (Yes it's a main character)
Man, I hope it's not Eva
Old 09-14-04, 04:18 PM

Desperate Housewives Spoiler
Spoiler:
Mary Alice Young Dies
I don't have a picture but she's not seen much as you can imagine.
Old 09-14-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was bummed when I heard that they re-cast Sheryl Lee's role on Desperate Housewives. She was a main reason I wanted to watch that show.
Old 09-14-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I am looking forward to Lost. Something treading some new ground on tv. Which is probably why it will be cancelled inside of 10 weeks. I'm betting it will be replaced by Jan.
Old 09-15-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Entertainment Weekly gave LAX a B+
Old 09-15-04, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
LAX was awful.

I say LOST will be pretty big.

flops will indeed be the CBS line up of Listen up and Dr. Vegas.
Old 09-15-04, 10:41 AM

Nikki, Psychic to the Stars

Biggest Hit
CSI: New York (CBS)
"People are into that crime-solving thing. And I see the star, Gary Sinise, on stage getting an Emmy for his work in this one."
Gee, I'll bet this was a tough call. How hard did that team of monkeys have to work on this one?
Old 09-15-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I agree on the CSI. That is a no-brainer.

I would put biggest flop, the Father of the Pride(? name ?). The CGI schtick. I watched 10 minutes of it last night and it was more than enough to tide me over the rest of the season.
Old 09-15-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I would put biggest flop, the Father of the Pride(? name ?). The CGI schtick. I watched 10 minutes of it last night and it was more than enough to tide me over the rest of the season.
It got better ratings than Scrubs last night, I wouldn't count it out yet.
Old 09-15-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That's because it has a powerful lead in show with huge ratings that is Last Comic Standing. When that show is over with I bet you'll see Father of the prides ratings drop huge.