Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

question about receiver in standby mode

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-04, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a low end HT system. It's the Onkyo HTS-570.

I've noticed that when I turn the receiver off, it goes to standby mode. It really doesn't turn off (you see the red LED lights up to indicate it is in standby mode).

Usually when I turn off something, I like it to stay off. HDTV, DVD player, etc stays off.

So my questions are:

1. Do most receivers stay off or goes to standby mode when you turn off the system? (Or is it just this model?)

2. I always have one of those on/off switches that you can plug in your power cord to. Flip in one way and it shuts off electricity to the unit. So if I use this, will it hurt the receiver. I mean once I shut it off using this switch, I have to power up the receiver before I can do anything. But when I shut off the receiver, I have to use the switch to get rid of power (thus the standby mode). So doing this everyday or whenever I want to watch a DVD, will this matter? I guess I wonder the real purpose of the standby mode.

Thanks for any thoughts. Maybe the higher end receivers don't have this problem. Didn't have a chance to compare or check out other receivers for this condition.
Old 09-14-04, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost all receivers now (and most other electonics for that matter) go into standby mode rather than completely shutting off. If you want to switch the receiver off electrically, it won't hurt it at all. The only thing that might be a problem is any settings that your receiver has. Higher end receivers have setup setting like speaker size, distance, EQ, etc. that will be lost if the receiver is without power for more than a few hours. If your HTIB doesn't have anything like this, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. The main advantage of the standby mode is that you can turn on the unit from the remote.