Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

what's the advance buzz on Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ??

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(I did a search but couldn't find anything here.)

I've seen the teasers for this on TV, and stylistically it looks brilliant .. but does anyone have info on the story and characters .. and maybe whether this movie might worth seeing ??

I'm hoping for a neo-classic noir-Sci-Fi along the lines of Dark City or Matrix ... you know, a movie that might actually be great, and not merely good.
Old 09-13-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's very noir-sci-fi'ish.

I would say that it's more towards Dark City and Rocketeer then anything else. it's a pretty big adventure. I would relate it to Raiders of the lost ark.

This is not a film for the average joe as it may be to stylistic for them.

Think of the Lost world.
Old 09-13-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wasn't too impressed with it. It has some cool concepts and the robots are downright awesome, but I found the characters boring, the dialogue horrible, and the story practically nonexistent. I was also suffering really bad jetlag when I saw it so perhaps that clouded my judgment. That said, I'd be up for seeing it again to see if my original perceptions still hold.
Old 09-13-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it just me or does this look to anyone else like a flim version of the game Crimson Skies?
Old 09-13-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone cares, Ebert gave the film thumbs up. But Roeper gave it a thumbs down.
Old 09-13-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll see it
Old 09-13-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Just noticed that it is rated PG . . . interesting.
Old 09-14-04, 12:56 AM
Suspended

If it's half the movie that Rocketeer is, I'll be there with bells on. I love the 40's pulp Doc Savage/Shadow type movies.
Old 09-14-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: what's the advance buzz on Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ??

Originally posted by Saxofonix
(I did a search but couldn't find anything here.)
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=382946

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=379804

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=371405

With that said.. go see it. I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 09-14-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The new trailer that started airing tonight is all colorized... the older ones were almost black and white and washed out. Hope they didn't colorize the stupid thing - I liked the look of it before.
Old 09-14-04, 05:40 AM
Banned

The trailers I saw in the spring didn't impress me, but now the new one that I have seen on t.v. looks really good.
They seem to have made it look like a ID4 type of movie instead of some boring 40's cartoon B movie.
Old 09-14-04, 06:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm watching that freebie DVD from Best Buy about it now and it looks interesting in the sense of how they made it. It seems the vast majority of the movie was filmed in front of the blue screen. Only a limited number of actual sets and props were actually built.
Old 09-14-04, 08:06 AM

I saw it last night and like it more then I thought I was going. I always find it hard to like stuff that I work on, especially when you live a project for so long. But the movie turned out really good.
Old 09-14-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

did you like playing this character more than Lara Croft?
Old 09-14-04, 08:20 AM

An interview with the Sky Captain director:

http://www.chud.com/news/sept04/sept13kconran.php3

A Sky Captain prequel?

http://www.chud.com/news/aug04/aug31skycaptain.php3
Old 09-14-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it last night also... all in all, I liked it pretty well...not a whole lot of Angelina , but I really liked the ending.
Old 09-14-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I cannot wait to see this movie. Something about it. Ever since I first saw the preview, which was about 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-14-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I anticipate this movie, but fear the stylisitic approach they are taking will be rejected by the masses.

Here is a comment I read about the movie on another message board. These are not my thoughts!

"My general rule of thumb, which has yet to really fail me is this...if you start hearing about a movie 2 or 3 weeks before it's theatrical release...it's going to be a giant heaping pile of crap. Granted, there are some movies that you see trailers for a year before the movie comes out that are also crap (armegeddon, godzilla), but more often than not...the movies that studios do not think are going to do well aren't pushed until they are getting ready to come out.

That being said...The spots I've seen for this, be it in the theater or on TV, just look bad. Having seen what can be done with CGI and with just movies in general, people have a high expectation of what movies should look like. Go back and watch a movie from the 80s or 90s and watch a movie now...the general look of the movie has vastly improved, even if the movies themselves have not. People are turned off by new movies that look bad. No matter how compelling the story is, if it looks bad, people aren't going to enjoy it as much. And when I say people, I don't speak of the small minority of people that don't care. I'm speaking of the vast majority of people that movie studios are aiming for.

Think about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (AKA LXG). This movie looked horrendous. The visual effects were poor, the CGI looked like it could compete with something on XBox or PS2, and unfortately, that level just isn't up to par with Hollywood. It's like trying to compare a college football team with a pro team. Even the best college team is going to look like crap when compared to the worst NFL team. And LXG failed, but not just because of this.

Sky Captain is going to bomb so hard. It was not marketed. The premise of the movie is not compelling enough to pique the interest of the majority of movie goers. And even the presence of 3 A-List actors isn't going to help the movie. It is not going to come close to cult-following status. Sadly, even if the story is great...the movie will not be.

Going back to my LXG example...my friend, who is really into comics, told me about the LXG comic. The story sounded great...the premise was interesting...and yet the movie fell flat on it's ass.

Hope all you want...Sky Captain is going to fail. "
Old 09-14-04, 09:28 AM

The guy is just a moron. Doesn't even sound like he/she/it has seen the movie and is just making judgement calls on marketing and trailers.
Old 09-14-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped reading his rant at the point where he says armageddon was crap.
Old 09-14-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I stopped reading his rant at the point where he says armageddon was crap.

Some would argue that it was. I wouldn't as I see it as being what it was and nothing more. But many would.

I just hope the PG rating doesn't make people think it's a kiddie movie (of course it would be wonderful if kids could get interested in this) and stay away.
Old 09-14-04, 10:46 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, Jude Law and Angelina Joline are awesome.

BTW I think Armageddon is a great movie as well.
Old 09-14-04, 10:57 AM

Saw it last night at a press screening.... and it's SPECTACULAR.

Our RT quote: "An utterly mesmerizing, boundlessly imaginative achievement, perhaps -- and I do not use such terms lightly -- the most visually astounding motion picture ever made."

Pretty much nails it.
Old 09-14-04, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by pdjennings
Saw it last night at a press screening.... and it's SPECTACULAR.

Our RT quote: "An utterly mesmerizing, boundlessly imaginative achievement, perhaps -- and I do not use such terms lightly -- the most visually astounding motion picture ever made."

Pretty much nails it.
what?! you didn't go the press screening of "A Dirty Shame" at the MPAA screening room yesterday.

Question, where was the press screening? I want to see this on the largest screen possible.
Old 09-14-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
if you start hearing about a movie 2 or 3 weeks before it's theatrical release...it's going to be a giant heaping pile of crap.
Ha. welcome to hollywood marketing buddy. No point in wasting much money to far ahead before hand or else you end up with a film like The Girl Next Door which because of it's bump for marketing ended up killing it's theater run by having people believe that the film already came out.

Sky Captain is going to bomb so hard. It was not marketed.
Whaaa? it's hard to turn around without seeing a Skycaptain ad. If anything I think it's not being marketed CORRECTLY. You see constant explosions and dog fights in the ads which while make up some of the cool scenes, isn't all that true and is just a very small part of the whole epic adventure feel to the movie. I enjoyed it for what it is. But I have always thought that it was going to be hard to market it correctly and I'm thinking I'm still right on that. The film looks like it will click well with a niche crowd but may not translate well with the general audiance for the simple reason of it's style. But it is one hell of a nice new revision of that 40's noir style.

Going back to my LXG example...my friend, who is really into comics, told me about the LXG comic. The story sounded great...the premise was interesting...and yet the movie fell flat on it's ass.
If he ever actually read the LXG comic he would realize why the movie failed. what a fucktard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.