TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FOX Delays Season Two of 'Tru Calling'

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FOX Delays Season Two of 'Tru Calling'

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...605|1|,00.html

(Monday, September 13 02:11 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Those who are aniticpating watching Eliza Dushku jump back and forth in time this fall will have to wait longer than they thought.

FOX, which is making a habit of filling out its schedules in pencil, has decided to delay the second season of "Tru Calling," which stars Dushku as a medical student/morgue attendant who has the ability to go back in time to prevent untimely deaths. Originally slated to premiere Thursday, Nov. 4, the show will now debut "later in the season," the network says.

The non-specific time frame is usually not a good sign for a show. A FOX spokesman says, however, that "Tru" is in production, which is better news.

Instead of "Tru Calling," FOX will place "North Shore" in the 9 p.m. Thursday spot after baseball's World Series concludes, pairing with "The O.C." for an all-soap lineup. The FOX spokesman says that the move is intended to build momentum on "North Shore" -- which will have the benefit of a decent lead-in in "The O.C." -- after Shannen Doherty joins the cast in late September.

Unscripted offering "Trading Spouses" will move into "North Shore's" 8 p.m. Monday spot beginning Nov. 1, where it will lead into "The Swan."

Why, those rat bastards!

Chris
Old 09-13-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why am I suddenly recalling the time when ABC put Karen Sisco "on hiatus" with a promise it would return?
Old 09-13-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

shit
Old 09-13-04, 06:34 PM

It was really getting interesting at the end of the season, with the reveal of Jason Priestley's character!

Chris
Old 09-13-04, 06:56 PM

Not that it is cool it is delayed, but maybe the delay will allow enough time for my FOX affiliate to construct their new tower, so I can finally receive FOX in HDTV. I bet this show looks awesome in widescreen at the least.
Old 09-14-04, 02:18 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Variety is saying no Tru until 2005 and 6 episodes may only be produced.
Old 09-14-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrX
Variety is saying no Tru until 2005 and 6 episodes may only be produced.
Geez, why bother producing any if they don't want it that badly?
Old 09-14-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: FOX Delays Season Two of 'Tru Calling'

Originally posted by mrpayroll

Old 09-14-04, 08:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Sounds like a decent move on behalf of North Shore. The O.C. is a perfect lead-in for that.
Old 09-14-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
No more Eliza running around?
Old 09-14-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
That's not good. Apparently, for some inexplicable reason, the network is throwing their full weight behind North Shore. I just want to know who Brooke Burns slept with for this love from the network.

Frankly, I wish they would simply flip Tru Calling and North Shore in the lineup. There is nothing I watch at 8 on Mondays (although I plan on checking out CBS' Listen Up).
Old 09-14-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn. Fox does this a lot (except for their reality shows). And more times than not they never air it. Lets wait and see.
Old 09-14-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, it was one of the lowest rated shows last year.
Old 09-14-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
That's not good. Apparently, for some inexplicable reason, the network is throwing their full weight behind North Shore. I just want to know who Brooke Burns slept with for this love from the network.
Agreed. This show is universally panned and mocked by critics. Why does this show stay on while shows like Tru Calling and Wonderfalls get the shaft? The suits at FOX are on crack.

The ONLY way this could make sense is if it is part of their "move the seasons" around to a 3 TV season year, and they relaunch Tru Calling with 24 in January. At least the S1 DVDs will be out with enough time to rewatch them all before S2 starts....

Last edited by rfduncan; 09-14-04 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-14-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Rypro 525
well, it was one of the lowest rated shows last year.

Compare the ratings of TC vs heavy competition (Friends, Survivor) vs the ratings of NS vs summer/light competition. There is something going on that we don't know about.
Old 09-14-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
Compare the ratings of TC vs heavy competition (Friends, Survivor) vs the ratings of NS vs summer/light competition. There is something going on that we don't know about.
Exactly. I would say that she has the dramatic ability of a rock, but that would insult a rock probably.
Old 09-14-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While Eliza is hot, I was surprised Tru Calling made the cut for another season. The eps. I saw were mediocre at best, and I found the premise too repetitive. I quit watching after the first three eps.
Old 09-14-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
While Eliza is hot, I was surprised Tru Calling made the cut for another season. The eps. I saw were mediocre at best, and I found the premise too repetitive. I quit watching after the first three eps.
The show actually improved quite a bit as the year progressed, particularly the second half of the season.
Old 09-14-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

It really improved in the 2nd half of the season, particularly after Priestley joined the cast.
Old 09-14-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Chalk this one up to something I have labeled “The FarScape Effect.”

It’s only a theory, but follow me on this one. If you were running a network and were planning to cancel a generally well-regarded show (genre or otherwise), why risk creating a stink with its fans? Why give them an entire summer to create a revival campaign… get their message out to the media… and possibly coordinate with the show’s creators? (Just like FS fans so masterfully did.)

Just let ‘em think it’s been renewed! And pull the plug at a later date.

ABC did this masterfully with Karen Sisco. They pulled it, professed how much they loved it, proposed to “re-tool” it… and promptly cancelled it.

I don’t even like Tru Calling, but this move sorta pisses me off.
Old 09-14-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
The show actually improved quite a bit as the year progressed, particularly the second half of the season.
Exactly. If Dr. DVD had been reading our posts last season when we were all saying this, he might have given it another try. By the end of the season it was one of my favorite shows (of course I am a sucker for shows with premises like this one such as Quantum Leap and Early Edition).

I will be royally pissed if Fox kills it off with neglect.
Old 09-14-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lets just hope that they are just moving this back a bit since the DVD set of season 1 hits store shelves on Nov. 30th and they want to let people catch up with the series. :fingerscrossed:
Old 09-14-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by movielib
I will be royally pissed if Fox kills it off with neglect.
I'll be mad, too, but my wife will be seriously pissed. She became a big fan last spring. She missed the first few episodes, but started watching towards the end of the fall. She was in love w/ it by the end of May.
Old 09-14-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am gonna be pissed if they don't bring this back. Damn near every show that I get into gets cancelled. It's starting to suck ass.
Old 09-14-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I'm sure that I will get into this show when it comes on DVD, but I have to admit that I was always hoping just a little bit (well, more than a little bit) that the show would tank very quickly, making way for a Faith spin-off by Joss Whedon.

I know I'm living a dream; I accept that now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.