Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Definitive info on whether or not a DVD has a slipcover?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Specifically - Snow White Platinum, Armageddon and Life of Brian CC, Patriot SB Deluxe.

This whole slipcover thing can be confusing - many retailers sell Pirates of the Caribbean with no slipcover, yet many do have them.

My Royal Tenenbaums CC has a case, but the other two CCs I mentioned do not, and from the info at Criterion DVD.com I do not think they are supposed to.

Someone has told me that the Snow White Platinum did not come with a case (the later two issues do), yet a seller at half.com said theirs has one (could be mistaken).

I think most SBs have cases, but my Patriot (used) did not and someone on the exchange board mentioned theirs does not.

Where can we find definitive info on this?
Old 09-13-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow White - No
Armageddon - No
Life of Brian - No
Don't know about Patriot SB Deluxe.
Old 09-13-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the specific info - but I am also interested in a site that has any info that a DVD collector might need. I see another thread dealing with whether or not a DVD has an insert, but nothing concerning slipcovers.

I didn't see any such info at DVD aficionado - and I know that Amazon and Half usually have pretty detailed info but don't always mention packaging.
Old 09-13-04, 04:34 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Patriot SB Deluxe has a standard silver slipcase.
Old 09-13-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by eau
Patriot SB Deluxe has a standard silver slipcase.
Yes it does. The only SB that don't were volume two....Air Force One, and Bram Stoker's Dracula
Old 09-13-04, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
Yes it does. The only SB that don't were volume two....Air Force One, and Bram Stoker's Dracula
I have Bram Stoker's Dracula SB and it does have a slipcase.

a few more:

Blue Velvet - MGM SE: slipcase is basically the same as the DVD cover
Usual Suspects - MGM SE: very nice slipcase, I re-bought the DVD just to get it.

I've been looking for a site or list like this for a while, unfortunately I haven't found one. It would be nice to get a list going.
Old 09-13-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I thought there is a thread somewhere in this forum that lists many of the slipcovers, but here are some titles. I have only included titles that are plastic keepcases with a slipcover. Also, I didn't include anything where two or more cases are held together.

Disney:
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Aladdin
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • A Bugs Life SE (reissue)
  • Finding Nemo
  • The Lion King
  • The Lion King 1 1/2
  • The Lion King II
  • Sleeping Beauty
Did the Lion King II or 1 1/2 come with covers? Yes they do. Also, did The Beauty and the Beast sequels have slipcovers?

Hollywood titles:
  • American Beauty Awards Edition - Anyone know if this is a US release? I saw it at a used store today.
  • Angel Heart SE
  • Back to the Future Trilogy
  • Bad Boys II
  • Beef II
  • Belly SE DVD/CD
  • Blue Velvet MGM SE
  • The Bourne Identity SE
  • Bubba Ho-tep
  • Bull Durham LE
  • Cabin Fever (with hologram)
  • Dances With Wolves SE
  • Dawn of the Dead ?
  • Day After Tomorrow
  • Die Another Day
  • Dirty Dancing UE
  • Dragonheart Franchise
  • Fahrenheit 9/11
  • Fargo SE
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas CC
  • Fargo SE
  • Field of Dreams Anniversary Ed.
  • First Blood SE
  • Gandhi SE
  • Garfield: The Movie
  • The Girl Next Door Unrated (half size)
  • Gothica SE ?
  • Great Escape 2-disc
  • Hellboy
  • High Noon CE (50th Anniv.? - Artisan)
  • The Howling SE
  • The Jesus Film (Madacy)
  • King of New York SE
  • Manchurian Candidate ?
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail SE
  • Once Upon a Time in Mexico
  • People Vs. Larry Flint
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Pitch Black SE (reissue)
  • The Quiet Man SE (Artisan)
  • Rain Man SE
  • Rambo: First Blood part II SE
  • Rambo III SE
  • Red Heat SE
  • Reno 911 ?
  • Reservoir Dogs SE - 5 different covers: Mr. Brown, Mr. Pink, Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, Mr. White
  • Rio Grande SE (Artisan)
  • Rundown
  • Running Man SE
  • The Royal Tenenbaums CC
  • Scarface Anniversary Edition
  • Stargate UE
  • Tales from the Crypt Franchise
  • Total Recall SE
  • Terminator 2 UE (Metal or Cardboard)
  • Terminator 2: Extreme (Metal or Cardboard)
  • Thelma and Louise SE
  • Underworld Unrated 2-disc
  • Usual Suspects MGM SE
  • Van Helsing
  • Videodrome CC
  • Young Guns SE
I presume all Superbit and Superbit Deluxe titles have slipcases, except for Charlie's Angels and Panic Room.
There have been some classic western releases with slipcovers from Artisan, such as The Quiet Man, although I don't know many other titles. There may be some from other studios.
I think some of the Universal Ultimate Editions had slipcovers, like Patch Adams and American Pie, although these may have been digi-packs.
There is a new budget studio that is putting slipcovers on their discs.

Anime Titles:
  • Ah! My Goddess The Movie LE
  • Akira SE (2-disc, not the tin)
  • Cowboy Bebop: Best Sessions
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum (vols. 1+)
  • Ninja Scroll 10th Anniversary SE
  • Speed Racer - vols. 1 & 2
  • Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
  • X: the Series (vols. 1-8)

I couldn't find a specific post listing all slipcases/slipcovers, but by searching for slip* in the title, I found 36 threads. I will try to glean some of the information from those to add to this list, and go to Best Buy to see if I can see any on the shelves.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 10-20-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-13-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
. I will try to glean some of the information from those to add to this list, and go to Best Buy to see if I can see any on the shelves.
Again, I wouldn't trust what you see on the shelves because the Best Buy and Walmart in my area don't have slipcases for Pirates of the Caribbean. When I bought mine from eBay, the slipcover was not inside the shrink wrap.

Others I have w/slipcover:
Dances with Wolves SE
Running Man SE
High Noon CE
T2 : Extreme (Metal)
Die Another Day

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-13-04 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 01:03 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
Both Air Force One and Darcula had the silver slipcover but the recent batches don't have them anymore.

Charlie's Angels SB and Panic Room SB don't have the slipcover from the very start
Old 09-14-04, 01:08 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Anime Titles:
Ah! My Goddess The Movie LE
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum (vols. 1+)
Speed Racer - vols. 1 & 2
X: the Series (vols. 1-8)
AFAIK, this is all of the anime titles, as I have been maintaining a list dealing with anime limited edition items.
I think the following anime had/has slipcover at some stage in time:
Cowboy Bebop Best Sessions
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Old 09-14-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These movies also have slipcases:

Scarface
Rain Man
Videodrome Criterion
Fear & Loathing Criterion
Old 09-14-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by NCYankee
Again, I wouldn't trust what you see on the shelves because the Best Buy and Walmart in my area don't have slipcases for Pirates of the Caribbean. When I bought mine from eBay, the slipcover was not inside the shrink wrap.

Others I have w/slipcover:
Dances with Wolves SE
Running Man SE
High Noon CE
T2 : Extreme (Metal)
Die Another Day
In more cases than not, the slipcovers are a limited print run (the first pressings).

E.g. Finding Nemo, PotC, Sleeping Beauty, Bull Durham, etc.
Old 09-14-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dabaomb
In more cases than not, the slipcovers are a limited print run (the first pressings).

E.g. Finding Nemo, PotC, Sleeping Beauty, Bull Durham, etc.
That explains it, thanks. I thought I saw Finding Nemo with a slipcover at Walmart the other night - though I could be wrong and thinking of The Lion King, I'll have to look again next time.

Did Monsters Inc. ever have a slipcover?
Old 09-14-04, 03:34 PM

Initial releases of these DVDs also had slipcovers (off the top of my head) :
The Howling (special edition)
Bug's Life (special edition reissue)
Hellboy
Pitch Black (special edition reissue)
Thelma and Louise (special edition)
Fargo (special edition)
Old 09-14-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts
Initial shipments of the individual Rambo special editions had slipcases
Old 09-15-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pardon the ignorance but what is the draw of the slipcovers?
Old 09-15-04, 04:20 AM
Banned

Is Baretta Season One supposed to have a slipcover? It is in a "fold-out" case.
Old 09-15-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by abintra
Pardon the ignorance but what is the draw of the slipcovers?
Some of them are pretty cool (Bull Durham baseball cover, Reservoir Dogs character covers).

Since they are limited runs, they enhance the collectible value of the DVDs - w/o the covers, Reservoir Dogs has no collectible value.

Satisfy completists / collectors - some have extra printed material, there is another booklet inside the Reservoir Dogs slipcover.
Old 09-15-04, 12:34 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by creekdipper
Is Baretta Season One supposed to have a slipcover? It is in a "fold-out" case.
The fold-out cases are usually called "digi-packs" and include titles with 2 or more discs, like:
Amelie
Harry Potter
Pulp Fiction CE
the Vista Series
Warner Bros 2-disc sets
Many TV shows, etc.

These are different from a keep case with a bonus slipcase, as the digi-pack slipcase is designed to keep the digi-pack together, and I would assume would be included on all printings of the disc.
Old 09-15-04, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by eau
I think the following anime had/has slipcover at some stage in time:
Cowboy Bebop Best Sessions
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Oops, I forgot about the Best Sessions, and I hadn't realized VHD: Bloodlust had one... Thanks.

I have added those to the list, as well as all other suggestions.
Old 09-15-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
A couple anime off the top of my head:

Akira (non-tin) Special Edition 2d
Ninja Scroll 10th Anniversary SE
Old 09-16-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NCYankee
Some of them are pretty cool (Bull Durham baseball cover, Reservoir Dogs character covers).

Since they are limited runs, they enhance the collectible value of the DVDs - w/o the covers, Reservoir Dogs has no collectible value.

Satisfy completists / collectors - some have extra printed material, there is another booklet inside the Reservoir Dogs slipcover.
Thanks. All the ones I have had just duplicated the cover art so didn't see the appeal.

My Pirates of the Caribbean nor Monsters Inc came with one though I think I bought both about a month after street. Do both of those just duplicate the cover art? I won't care if that is all they are if so.

My The Lion King and Finding Nemo both do, though they are just the same as the actual cover art.

The one title I do own that I don't have a slipcover for that actually might have interested me would have been Bull Durham just because I like the art better than what the actual cover art is but it didn't come with it when I bought it a couple of years ago from CH.

Other than Reservoir Dogs and Bull Durham, what are some other titles where the slipcover offers something other than identical to the actual cover art? I never counted Dances With Wolves or The Fifth Element Superbit as slipcovers because I, mistakenly apparently, thought that was part of the actual packaging rather than something limited. I find both of those worthwhile since they offer something unique.
Old 09-16-04, 09:54 AM

Thanks. All the ones I have had just duplicated the cover art so didn't see the appeal.

My Pirates of the Caribbean nor Monsters Inc came with one though I think I bought both about a month after street. Do both of those just duplicate the cover art? I won't care if that is all they are if so.

My The Lion King and Finding Nemo both do, though they are just the same as the actual cover art.

The one title I do own that I don't have a slipcover for that actually might have interested me would have been Bull Durham just because I like the art better than what the actual cover art is but it didn't come with it when I bought it a couple of years ago from CH.

Other than Reservoir Dogs and Bull Durham, what are some other titles where the slipcover offers something other than identical to the actual cover art? I never counted Dances With Wolves or The Fifth Element Superbit as slipcovers because I, mistakenly apparently, thought that was part of the actual packaging rather than something limited. I find both of those worthwhile since they offer something unique.
Pirates of the Caribbean matches the cover. AFAIK, there never was a slipcover for Monsters Inc.

The Disney titles, except for the Pixar titles, have a slipcase that matches the cover, but also folds out from the front, and goes into a bit more detail on some of the special features that are included.

Terminator 2 (both versions), The Royal Tenenbaums, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas all have different covers.

As far as anime goes, Cowboy Bebop: Best Sessions, Speed Racer, and X: The Series have unique covers. I believe that Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum will, as well.

Many of the slipcases that have the same cover art as the disc still have some collectability, as the slipcases may be shiny (like Finding Nemo,) or textured (like the title of Pirates of the Caribbean.)

EDIT: I have a version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre SE which is a jewel case with a plastic slipcover, but it looks like the only version available now is a keepcase. Since I presume the plastic slipcover was part of the jewel case packaging, I don't know if it should be included.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 09-16-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-16-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never counted Dances With Wolves or The Fifth Element Superbit as slipcovers because I, mistakenly apparently, thought that was part of the actual packaging rather than something limited. I find both of those worthwhile since they offer something unique.
I haven't actually opened my Dances with Wolves yet, but it appears that there is a regular keepcase inside, in which case the slipcase is decorative as opposed to functional. In the case of a digipack such as the Harry Potter movies, the slipcase is more important to keeping the discs securely in the case, so I would consider it an integral part of the packaging.
Old 09-16-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Off the top of my head from my own collection (since i'm at work)....

Bad Boys 2
The Ususal Suspects
Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.