Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there movies or TV shows that you won't buy on DVD because ....

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any movies or TV shows that you won't buy or own on DVD because of the following reasons.

1. Seen too many times.
2. Price for season sets are too expensive.
3. A hit TV show or critically acclaimed movie that you don't like.
4. Any reason not listed above.

Please don't include very bad TV shows or movies that most people hate.

For me #1 applies only to TV shows, such as I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners. Seen them so much growing up that I can't see to own them.

#2 for me applies to all the Star Trek series on DVD. I'm a big Star Trek fan, but I can't see to spend around $100 per season or for all the Star Trek shows would cost around $2400 retail. Too rich for my blood.

#3 For me I can't stand The Andy Griffith Show. The annoying whistling theme song and the small town humor. I just don't get the appeal of the show. Moviewise, I will never own The Passion of the Christ. Never saw it and I have no interest in watching somebody being tortured in graphic detail.

Just my opinion.

Why won't you own a critically acclaimed TV show or movie or a succesful TV Show or movie?
Old 09-13-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3. Seinfeld - I never got why that show was SO popular. I thought it was just ok.

There are lots of critically acclaimed and/or successful films that I didn't like, or just have no interest in ever seeing, like the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies, etc.

Rob
Old 09-13-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Reason 1: Futurama.
I want to own it, because I love the show, but when S1/S2 came out, I had just watched each episode twice thanks to Cartoon Network's syndication schedule and my DVR. Granted, the DVD's have a bunch of extras, but at the time I preferred to spend that 25-40 bucks somewhere else. I'll probably get the collection sometime, after price drops and my memory fades.

Reason 2: Twilight Zone, the original. Too rich for my blood, and while it would be awesome to collect them, I wouldn't get much replay value out of them. I'll just get them from Netflix.

Reason 3: Seinfeld. Never found him funny, found him a smarmy knowitall. I don't think I've watched a complete episode. It's sad, because I loved Richards in UHF, and I've actually read a few Seinfeld scripts and they've been rather funny, I guess it's just the characters, personalities, and delivery I don't enjoy.
Old 09-13-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Reason 1 doesn't apply, to anything I can think of, if I like the show, I want to see DVDs of it. I have stopped watching most TV, since I would rather watch on DVD in chronological order, with no commercials.

Reason 2 really doesn't apply either, if I like the show, I would like to get it *EVENTUALLY*. I may not be able to get it right now at MSRP, but there is always hope of a price cut, used copy, or more available room in my budget.

Reason 3 - Each person probably only enjoys a fraction of TV shows and movies that are considered hits, so I would think that everyone has dislikes in the "hit" field. Personally, I could care less for Law and Order, The Shield, Seinfeld, Friends, Mad About You, or any of a number of recent "hit" dramas and sitcoms...
Old 09-13-04, 10:54 AM

#3: Star Wars. Never even saw the new films, though I liked the original trilogy when it came out- of course, I was 12 when the first film hit theaters. As an adult, they just seem kinda crude and hammy to me... I really don't understand the adulation over those movies.
Old 09-13-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reason #4 - I will not own a movie with Ben Stiller.
Old 09-13-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

#1: Seinfeld. Much as I love it I can't imagine popping in the DVD and watching it. It's on every 5 minutes anyway.
Old 09-13-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

#2: X-Files. one of my alltime favorite shows, but the price is just too expensive. I cant see spending that much money on one TV show
Old 09-13-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

South Park (maybe). I love it, but I have a stand alone burner now. I can burn all the shows on to DVD as they air them.

If they have extras, like commentary, I'll buy the new sets. If not, then I won't.
Old 09-13-04, 12:04 PM

1. No, I've bought all the Simpsons so far, though I've seen them all many, many times.
2. I haven't bought any of the various Star Trek series for this reason, even though I like the shows.
3. Yes, I don't buy anything I don't like, acclaimed or not.
4. not in OAR,
Old 09-13-04, 01:08 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
1. Probably not.
2. The X-Files
3. I can't imagine what this has to do with anything. I couldn't possibly give a shit if something is popular or not.
4. Not really.
Old 09-13-04, 01:19 PM

how many hundreds of times I've seen something makes no difference. I'm building a library....it's there for other reasons besides just watching all the time. I've seen each OST episode more times than I can count. no matter. they will all be in the library because I love them all. I dont buy what I dislike.

price makes no difference...if I want it it's mine. putting a limit on what I can spend does nothing except put a stranglehold on the library. so...I just put myself into a position of not having to worry.

sure I prefer OAR...but it depends on the title sometimes. Carbon Copy and the original Walking Tall are foolframe only...but I just had to have them. there are titles I pass up though....usually if I'm fairly sure a better edition will street at some point.
Old 09-13-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I put off getting Star Trek TNG because of price but now its reduced to $99CDN in Futureshop im starting to pick them up.

I was put off Babylon 5 because I heard there were editing errors (like cutting to a teapot for no reason) and the visual effects were butchered to make it widescreen.
Old 09-13-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
1. X-Files. Love the show but they sets are a little more than I'd like to pay. Also I hate how 20th century fox has packaged the sets.

2. Six Feet Under. I will probably get Seasons 1 and 2 eventually, but as of now it seems too much to spend on those 2 sets. I think Best Buy bundled S1/2 for 166 bucks.
Old 09-13-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I held out for the longest time on C.S.I. season 1 because it is in full-screen, despite the fact that it was shot in widescreen. I ended up getting in on one of the Columbia House deals and got both season 1 & 2 for $10. Couldn't pass it up at that price.
Old 09-13-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my personal opinion critics have no business criticizing TV shows. You either connect with the show or you do not. No TV show is really any better than others. They're all a much lower form of entertaintment than movies. That includes the writing, acting, and directing. The only show I buy is Friends. I'll probably buy Seinfeld when it comes out. As for movies, well let's see if its critically acclaimed I'll probably at least seek it out to watch it if its a blockbuster hit, I'll proceed with caution.
Old 09-13-04, 03:13 PM

#3 - Friends
Old 09-13-04, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3. A hit TV show or critically acclaimed movie that you don't like.

About a million.
Old 09-13-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RobCA
3. Seinfeld - I never got why that show was SO popular. I thought it was just ok.

There are lots of critically acclaimed and/or successful films that I didn't like, or just have no interest in ever seeing, like the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies, etc.

Rob
We've obviously got contrasting tastes, as I wouldn't even accept Friends or Will and Grace DVDs, but have been anticipating the Seinfeld sets since I first got my DVD player.
Old 09-13-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wont buy the ST sets yet cause they are too much for me since they are on TV everyday almost. And I wont buy shows that are edited.
Old 09-13-04, 03:50 PM

Hmm..

Simpsons is a weird one. I got Season 4 only cause it was 28 bucks on sale...

I will prob buy the Simpsons from season 4 and on, but not the others unless I get them super cheap..
Old 09-13-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

2. X-Files. All time favorite tv show. I love it, but the price is way to expensive for nine seasons. And that is after the price drop.
Old 09-13-04, 04:08 PM

#2. The price for the TV sets is just too high for me sometimes. When I'm in the mood to watch one over, I Netflix it. That way works out better for me, although I do own the Friends DVDs.
Old 09-13-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
all of the above apply to many TV shows
Old 09-13-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would like to own Tour Of Duty and an impending release of Miami Vice...sadly, i know the Tour Of Duty doesn't have the original music intact and i fear once Miami Vice is released, it too will not have the original music intact in a lot of cases....so for the moment at least....no sale!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.