Completist game players

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Completist game players

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completist game players

I am a completist game player. Let me give an example: wife rented "Blinx-Time Sweeper" for the kids. I am an avid game player and usually help my kids learn how to play a game and figure out some of the difficult parts.

So, they got me playing it and I can't put it down. I don't particularly like it, it's frustrating at so many points...but I can't stop playing it. I feel I can't quit until I beat it. But to me, it's the same with other things like music and movies, no matter how bad I have to at least finish listening to the complete CD or watch the complete movie. Leaving something 'unfinished' just disturbs my mentality!

Anyone else have this 'problem' ? What are the games you've played on with even though you couldn't stand or didn't like, but just wanted it finished?
Old 09-12-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It depends on how much time I have put into a game... Some games I will give up if it gets too difficult, but I will finish most RPGs that I have started unless it is ridiculously boring (like FF7, I tried to finish that twice but got bored about halfway through the first disc).
Old 09-12-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually I don't care too much about finishing games, but for some reason Okage hooked me... and not in a good way. I played for about 5 hours, and was not having fun, the game was bad and ridiculously easy. However, in that short time I had gotten through 4 of the 6 chapters, so I figured I might as well continue on, just to justify those 5 hours. Then I encountered chapter 5, and it was the longest chapter I ever experienced in a game. It took me 20 freaking hours to get through it. It just kept going on and on and on and on. I told myself that it couldn't be much longer, I had spent so much time on it, and then bam more boring game play.

I beat the game, and immediatly deleted the save file
Old 09-12-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a quitter game player. I hardly ever finish any of them. Usually just because I suck at them
Old 09-12-04, 11:56 PM

Had FFX-2 on my TV taunting me to finish for months.... am finally finishing it and hating every second of it. Thought it was decent up until about 72% completed.. now I'm pissed and finishing it just to finish it. Not even truly enjoying it.
Old 09-13-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was thinking you meant completionist in the sense that I have to collect or do everything in the game. I definitely like to have the final tally show 100% for a game, I have to collect every jewel, weapon, thingamajig in a game. I don't like getting to the end knowing I missed something.

But I have too many games to complete every one, I don't think I will ever finish all of them.
Old 09-13-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There was a time when I would finish them all. Now I only finish about half of them and it realy depends on the games. I have never finished Metroid Prime or Halo and probably never will. RPGs on the other hand I almost always finish.
Old 09-14-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I play games until I stop enjoying myself, even if its a game I like.

Take Midnight Club 2 for example. Right now I'm hovering at 72% complete. The game has gotten crazy hard now and I don't think I'll ever beat it. It's a fun game but I'm just not enjoying myself. I may pop it in every now and then to take a crack at it but for the most part I'm done with it.

This happens with most games I play. Unless it's story driven ( Final Fantasy's, Metal Gears, etc) I don't feel a need to keep playing (and even here I quit - like I did with FF8...flipping card games).
Old 09-14-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Ditto.
I like to 'finish' [not complete] games, especially if there's a story [RPGs], but if it's not fun, it's not fun and it'll get shelved. Toward the end of FFX-2 I was thinking 'Come on, let's just beat this thing,' it was still fun, but I had a couple new games sitting there staring at me and I didn't want to start them before I finished at least one game [of course, now I'm back to at least 4 in progress, and that's not even counting sports games [Summer beach Volleyball and ATV 2] or adventure type games [Simpsons hit and run].]
Old 09-14-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
There was a time when I would finish them all. Now I only finish about half of them and it realy depends on the games. I have never finished Metroid Prime or Halo and probably never will. RPGs on the other hand I almost always finish.
ditto on Metroid Prime. I spent so many hours getting to the final boss, and after a couple of fruitless days at the boss, I gave up. It was an accomplishment to get that far.

Never finished the revised Resident: Evil either.

It just depends on the game. Over the summer I have finished a few (Armed & Dangerous, Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia). Usually a new game comes along that I want so I start playing that and lose interest in the one I was on.

Actually beat price of persia a few days before I got Burnout 3. Good thing, cause B3 is more addictive than your average game.
Old 09-15-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always been a completist gamer as in "I have to finish the game, beat the main boss, find every single goody there is to find, etc.". I don't do it all in one sitting, I usually try to play a couple of hours each day until it's beaten. And I don't use game guides unless I really really get stuck which is rare.
But lately I've found myself playing a game until the final "boss", and if he/she's too hard and I don't beat them after a few tries, then I'll just give up. What's the point of getting all frustrated over it? The game's over when I beat 'em anyway. No more items to find, no more places to discover and map out, etc. No more levels to obtain. The fun for me was getting to that point anyway and who's going to care that I didn't beat the big baddy and then watch some (in most cases) lame cut scene or scrolling text credits.
Old 09-15-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I had a problem with finishing games as of late....

Rainbow Six 3, Galleon, Metroid Prime, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, and X-2, and Silent Hill 3 among others. I got rid of all of them before I finished them.
Old 09-15-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Once I start a game, I do have to beat it, I don't like the feeling when I start something and don't finish it regardless of what it is.

I used to be that type of person mentioned previously where I would play a game and and as soon as I bought a new one, I would put the old one on the shelf and start the new one, this would would be a recurring process and I would never finish any games. I have remedied this problem quite well though.

Now a game like GTA:SA that is coming out, I am trying super hard to try and finish what I have on my plate because I know once I get this, all my videogaming time will on this game.

For how I play my games, here is my method. First time thru a game, I do not use any strategy guides, faqs, or walkthrus. But the 2nd time I play thru, I want to beat the game 100% so I will follow the walkthru the whole way. For example, I beat both GTA games the first time without help and only acheived about 70+ percent, so the 2nd time I started from scratch I used walkthrus so I could get 100% (even though I still never got that yet)

Also, if I am stuck in a game the first time thru, I will just ask people for advice such as friends, dvdtalk, or other videogame message board. I don't really feel that I am cheating myself, just look at it as friendly advice. But man, there is nothing better than being stuck for a few hours and finally figuring out the solution yourself. It is a rewarding experience.