Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Miami Vice s1 -- February 8th, 2005!!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Miami Vice s1 -- February 8th, 2005!!!

Old 09-12-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miami Vice s1 -- January 18th, 2005!!!

Yes, I know there are a number of Miami Vice threads.

However, I think this is important enough to warrant its own RELEASE thread instead of having to read through a question/speculation thread to get at the REAL news*.

Having said that:
According to our friends at tvshowsondvd.com:

We've received word that Miami Vice will be released on January 18th, 2005, not later this year as the recent trailer led us to believe.

Thanks to Pavan Badal from SitcomsOnline.com who sent us the news.
* [Mods, feel free to edit/merge at your discretion.]
Old 09-12-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice! thanks for the info
Old 09-12-04, 07:25 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
F-yeah!
Old 09-12-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy New Year indeed!
Old 09-12-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

YEAH!
Old 09-12-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first couple of seasons of Miami Vice hold up with anything ever put on TV, IMHO. It was still Michael Mann's show, with all the stylishness and directorial savvy he would later bring to all of the solid to exceptional films he would eventually produce. And dammit, what great music. I'm in!
Old 09-13-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But is it with ORIGINAL MUSIC? Or is it the generic synth washes that you got with some of the VHS releases?
Old 09-13-04, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by grunter
But is it with ORIGINAL MUSIC? Or is it the generic synth washes that you got with some of the VHS releases?
That's my big question about this set. One of the things that has kept Miami Vice from coming to dvd sooner is the music rights. It just wouldn't be the same without the music.

Anyone have any info on this ?
Old 09-13-04, 01:04 PM
Banned

I don't get this music rights thing. You'd think that because the music was already used in the show(s) during broadcast or syndication, that any and all clearances would be complete. Why would releases to home video be any different?
Old 09-13-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I don't get this music rights thing. You'd think that because the music was already used in the show(s) during broadcast or syndication, that any and all clearances would be complete. Why would releases to home video be any different?
The licenses only anticipated the original broadcast. Home video is an entire stream of revenue not antipated by the agreements.
Old 09-13-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
If I hear that they are using stupid synthesizer crap, I won't be picking this up right away.
Old 09-13-04, 02:14 PM
Suspended

No original music=no sale
Old 09-13-04, 04:19 PM
SeeNo Member

Originally posted by animalmystic
No original music=no sale
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 10-21-04, 10:09 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

from tvshowsondvd.com

better news

The story discusses the effect of the Internet on the TV-on-DVD phenomenon, concentrating on how online e-tailers can stock a deeper inventory with a wider variety of choices than brick-and-morter stores. Other aspects of Internet involvement were brought up, and even though sites like TVShowsOnDVD weren't mentioned in the write-up, it was made clear that the studios are interested in direct feedback from the fans.

Miami Vice was held up as an example of this type of interaction, which led to a comment by one of the execs from Universal who was quoted in the story. That quote, below, reveals something of interest to fans looking forward to the release!

The Internet also can provide tips on what's going well with a release--and what's not.

After some site surfing, Ken Graffeo, executive VP at Universal Studios Home Video, noticed irate rumors that Miami Vice would not come equipped with 5.1 quality sound.

"All the fans came out for that," he said of its impending release. "And yes, we're putting it out in 5.1."

That sounds great, and will sound great in my home theater as well! Don't forget that the best word we have on the subject is that all the originally broadcast music ought to be included on the upcoming release, which we understand should be on Jan. 18th. We're still waiting on Universal's official announcement for this release, but if that street date is accurate, we could be getting the news any time now. Stay tuned!
Old 10-21-04, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by ruk
The Internet also can provide tips on what's going well with a release--and what's not.

After some site surfing, Ken Graffeo, executive VP at Universal Studios Home Video, noticed irate rumors that Miami Vice would not come equipped with 5.1 quality sound.

"All the fans came out for that," he said of its impending release. "And yes, we're putting it out in 5.1."
So Universal listens to the fans? I hope this means forced trailers will soon become a thing of the past.
Old 10-21-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe they will have the original sound but as already mentioned........no original music = no sale.
Old 10-22-04, 01:19 AM
Banned

Why if you got paid to have your song on a show should you get paid again if the purchaser decides to use that show to sell in another medium that you were already paid for?
Then shouldn't the whole crew who worked on the show with that one song including the grip guys be paid again.
Old 10-22-04, 06:10 AM

If there's no original music, I won't be able to justify buying it.
Old 10-22-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to this set and I too want original music!
Old 10-22-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wm lopez
Why if you got paid to have your song on a show should you get paid again if the purchaser decides to use that show to sell in another medium that you were already paid for?
The artist/label was paid for the "TV rights" not the home video rights to the song.

Originally posted by wm lopez
Then shouldn't the whole crew who worked on the show with that one song including the grip guys be paid again.
Unless their contracts entitled them to residual income, no. Most technical crew are paid by the hour for their actual labor.
Old 10-22-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh, yeah! sweet!
Old 10-22-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ruk
from tvshowsondvd.com

... After some site surfing, Ken Graffeo, executive VP at Universal Studios Home Video, noticed irate rumors that Miami Vice would not come equipped with 5.1 quality sound.

"All the fans came out for that," he said of its impending release. "And yes, we're putting it out in 5.1." ...
Surely the original sound mix of the show would have been mono (although I don't remember when stereo TV broadcast came out so it may have been simple two channel stereo). Now, I can enjoy a good 5.1 track as well as anyone BUT I prefer that the original sound mix is available! But it sounds like 5.1 will be the only option.

First, am I right about the original sound?

Second, is anyone with me on wanting original sound? Or am I completely alone?
Old 10-22-04, 04:23 PM

I mainly am concerned about the music. To this day I can remember an episode where they found skeletons in a house while Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" played. I haven't seen that episode since the 80's -- but whenever I hear that song, I still think about that!

The music was such a big part of the show that it would be tragic to replace it. I definitely won't be picking it up if they do change it.
Old 10-23-04, 02:57 PM
Banned

That episode with the skeletons in the closet is "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" and it aired in the 2nd season.

Bruce McGill "Dday" from Animal House was a nut in that episode.
Old 10-23-04, 06:03 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i cant wait to get my hands on this set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.