Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD's with pop can / drink cup sound errors...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Title sound confusing?.....haha

I have noticed that a lot of DVDs have this problem (actually, the movies)..... Where there is a can of pop, or a cup that is supposed to be full, when the item is set down, the noise they put in (or never edited out) is the opposite of what should be...

That is, last night we were watching Kill Bill vol. 2, and the short dude that was in the cemetary was sipping a beer. I mean literally sipping, the can was hardly tilted, and there was a huge sipping sound, which unmistakably means that the can is entirely full -- right after that he throws it down off screen, and we hear a 100% empty can hitting the ground. Either the sip or the drop was edited in -- not sure which... why don't theyt pay attention! Haha...

I can think of a bunch of other movies with this kind of error in them (can / cup related) but i wanted to hear what you had to contribute....

Thanks,

Matt
Old 09-10-04, 02:13 PM
Banned

Like in Dazed and Confused when Dan finishes his can of beer in the alley after they beat Herschfelder and he throws it off camera, and the second the can is out of the shot you hear the sound of it hitting cement, which is impossible because there is no possible way the can hit the ground that fast the way he threw it.
Old 09-10-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
What the hell is wrong with you people?

Last edited by Deadman31; 09-10-04 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-10-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you fucking kidding me?
Old 09-10-04, 02:38 PM

Tarantino is well known for putting obvious minor continuity errors in his films so that may not be the best example.
Old 09-10-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Can I give some of you my list of things to do? You're obviously bored so a helping hand would be great.
Old 09-10-04, 02:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Because foley guys work from a very limited library of sounds, and they feel the need to punch a sound in for every movement?

"Dr. Davis, telephone please. Dr. Davis..."
Old 09-10-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
OK -- I'll play along! My personal favorite is when a car goes tearing down a dirt road or through somebody's yard and you hear the tires squeal. Happens more often than not.
Old 09-10-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
That one cracks me up everytime!! It's even on a Motley Crue record (Dr Feelgood)!!

Old 09-10-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts

God, how many times have I heard that sound byte my whole life!

I'm certainly not obsessive about foley work or anything, but I have to admit that the first time I saw KILL BILL Vol 2, I remember thinking "There is no way that little guy drank even close to that whole can of beer" Sometimes little continuity errors jump out at me like that, but I just ignore them (especially in a QT film!), because it's just a movie, I'm not expecting it to be as accurate as real life.
Old 09-10-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
There are a few sound effects they can put in movies that'll make me simply lose all interest in whatever happens after that... one is the "fire" sound - like when they ignite some gasoline or something and it makes that sound they had in Doom 2 at the end. "Ftchooooo" I dunno. The other is that guy screaming they throw in every time someone falls off a bridge or a building. "EEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH" They used it in Broken Arrow among other countless movies. Annoying.

The empty can thing is annoying as well, but the cans are often empty and it shows when they hold them. Even when they have cans stacked up in a grocery store scene and people crash into it, it's always empty cans. What the fuck are empty cans doing in a grocery store??!
Old 09-11-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
My fave is not can related but champagne (or some such drink) glass related. In The Patriot when Mel Gibson and crew blow up a ship of supplies during a big party, Jason Isaacks downs a drink and sets the empty glass on a table. Now though the glass goes out of frame it's clear he only places it on the table yet the foley artist added a sound effect of him smashing the glass. This has cracked me up since the first time I saw this movie and ever since.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-11-04 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-11-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hilarious!

Somehow I am reminded of "Ren & Stimpy" sounds.
Old 09-11-04, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
The other is that guy screaming they throw in every time someone falls off a bridge or a building. "EEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH" They used it in Broken Arrow among other countless movies. Annoying.
I love the Wilhelm Scream! It's most likely the most-used sound clip in the history of cinema, and has been an in-joke for decades. It's actually used 3 or 4 times in Kill Bill volume 1. :P (Tarantino knows exactly what he's doing with sound--so I wouldn't list him in this thread as an example of clueless sound placement.)
Old 09-11-04, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to sleep.
Old 09-11-04, 05:10 PM

I'll play Devil's advocate:

Maybe the can that he tossed was full, but it hit one of his empties from before.

:cue zen music:
Old 09-12-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Duder, I know many love that scream but I, like Trigger, despise it. (Well maybe Trigger doesn't despise it but I certainly do.) I didn't mind it in Kill Bill because it was wholy appropriate (though grating the first time I heard it in Vol. 1), much like in the Indiana Jones trilogy, but cannot forgive it's use through all the LOTR movies (which I happen to adore).
Old 09-14-04, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by scott shelton
What's that from?
Old 09-14-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the OP. This kind of thing has bugged me for several years.

The thing is, most productions now use totally empty containers when someone is drinking on screen. That way they don't have to worry about continuity on the liquid level, not to mention that if a scene takes 15 takes, the actor won't be bloated up on liquid by the end.

What bothers me most is when people are drinking out of styrofoam coffee cups (Law & Order is famous for this) and the physics of the empty cup are obviously different from the physics of a full cup. They move it around way too fast, and when they set it down it makes that little*plink* and wobbles, instead of a *thud* and being stable. Bugs me every time. Takes me right out of the show.