Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My new HT setup AKA the Man Room (pics)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the man room. I will try to take you through the whole process so that you can learn from my mistakes and hopefully join me in nerdom.

Welcome to.....THE MAN ROOM.

This room use to be a garage before I bought the place. It is about 15' x 40' with storage/workbench in the back. This door connects to the house and goes into the utility room, which also has another door into the main part of the house. So, we have two doors between the man room and the rest of the house, which allows me to get loud without anyone hearing me.

This is the back of the man room. We only have one outside window to contend with, so we can control the light very well. All the pictures are taken before I was able to clean up after the project, so they are a little messy. But hey, it's a freaking man room. Deal with it.

This is the original man room. 61" Hitachi with components next to it, and my computer on the right side. I use to watch tv while posting, playing holdem, etc. On either side of the TV you have doors which have always limited what I could do with the room. The one on the right leads to a storage area with access outside via a 4' door, and the one on the left goes into the workshop. It is on a raised concrete floor with a concrete setp going up to the door, which had to be dealt with. We also had to find new access if we were going to cover it up.....and that is what we did.

First step is to get rid of the doors. Also, because the new screen is 60"x80" and the ceiling is 7.5' I had to move the box where all my wires entered the room. I have just under 2' that I can use from the floor before we hit the screen, which means I need an entertainment center that can handle being low.

This is the offending concrete step. I decided not to remove it since I didn't want to mess with carpet and I was quite sure that it would be a major job. Since I couldn't find an entertainment center to suit me, I knew I'd build my own and this could be dealt with.

This is the entertainment center in the middle of painting. The left side has a ledge to sit on top of the step and will hold the left speaker. The right side has the same ledge for the other speaker. This is made with 3/4" plywood and is plenty sturdy.

Now remember boys and girls, measure everything 3 or 4 times so that you don't make mistakes. I'll get to my mistakes later.

The wall is finally textured and so I use the special blue tape of doom so that I can complete my next step.

What the hell....I decide to paint the wall black to help out with making the picture appear brighter. My wife wasn't wild about the idea, but she gets no vote in the man room. She actually liked it once it was done.

The mess of wires at the wall. Labeled so that I know what they actually go to.

I had to run wire through the ceiling and that is a job that sucks. Lots of blown in insulation up there, 2' spaces between rafters, and you don't want to fall through into the man room. I also ran wire for an outlet and ran a rear center speaker wire. I don't have one yet, but I may some day, so I did it.

The infocus X1 is in position. To help hide the wires (or at least make them look decent), I used a 2" desk grommet and made a 2" hole in a blank outlet cover. Then superglued the grommet on. It came out okay, and I couldn't find any better solution.

This is where measuring multiple times helps. My first mistake was measuring the receiver. It was still in a box, so naturally, I measured the width as the length and it wouldn't fit in the slot I made for it. It also sticks out about an inch too far. All the rubber legs are on the shelf, and it now has to go into a large spot, but that's the way it goes. I just plain measured the center speaker wrong. It will fit into its hole width wise but is actually a little taller than the cabinet. So now it will sit out front of the cabinet and be tilted slightly. And just when you thought it was over, the computer was slightly too tall. This came as a result of measuring for the computer rather than the inside open space of the cabinet. With 3/4" plywood, there is 1.5" that I didn't plan for. So, I removed the top, bottom, and sides of my beautiful computer and just left the front. Now it fits very snug.

So always remember to meaure mucho times. You can see the screen sitting on the floor in front of the cabinet.

I bought a Dalite Deluxe model B video spectra 1.5 screen. At first the tension rods had 6.5" of black around the top and 2" everywhere else, so naturally I had to cut the two rods 2.25" and it came out fine. EXCEPT for this annoying little ripple on the left. If anyone knows how to get rid of it, let me know.

Here is how it looks with all the lights off which is how I usually watch. The picture really doesn't do it justice in a few areas. First, this thing is very bright, but it looks dark in the picture. Also, it is hard to tell just how clear the picture is, but I have one more pic that should show it. This is clearer than any tv I have ever had, and any that I have seen in stores.

This gives an idea of the picture with a light on. It is a very bright light, but I think all the black makes my camera not want to make it look too bright. Lots of light from the back of the room (the 4 flourecent tubes you saw in the begining), will make the picture much lighter, but it is still plenty bright.

This is a high def clip. I wish I would have taken out the media player stuff at the edges, but hopefully you get the idea. Very good blacks, and very good detail.

I watched X2 last night and The Passion of the Christ (for the first time), and they were the most amazing pictures I had ever seen. I cannot imagine I will ever go to a theater again unless I just need to kill some time.

If you have any questions, let me know. Hopefully my mistakes can help you if you try it.

As for price? Pretty darn cheap.

projector $850
ceiling mount $60
screen $225
cables $150
Paint $15
plywood $60

Total is right at $1360 not including time and getting rid of my two doors.
Old 09-09-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great pics -- thanks, that was a fun read.
Old 09-09-04, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great pics!

How do you rate a whole room? I only get temporary ownership of a small porcelain intensive room.
Old 09-09-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrats, looks good!
Old 09-10-04, 05:56 AM

Nice project.

HEY LOOK I'M ON THE BIG SCREEN PROJECTOR LOOK AT ME!

*ahem

(Thats if you actually use it for the internet :P )
Old 09-10-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

I use it mainly for internet, with a TV window opened up as well.
Old 09-10-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet!
Old 09-10-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What? No HOT CHICKS room?

Cool setup!
Old 09-10-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: My new HT setup AKA the Man Room (pics)

Originally posted by kvrdave
Why are you looking up elephant anus on the web?
Old 09-10-04, 04:54 PM
Uber Member

Nice Dave!

I'm doing this much more piecemeal: I'm still trying to get the projector properly mounted to my ceiling and then I'll put up a temporary screen. I plan to get a bigger screen somewhere down the road. I still have to get a new equipment rack made too. Right now I'm using an old equip. rack that I turned on its side and took the shelves out of.

I also plan on getting a new center speaker, DVD player and receiver in the next few months.
Old 09-10-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that your new media center pc? How is that working out for you?
Old 09-10-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Is that your new media center pc? How is that working out for you?
yeah. It is fantastic. I use a dishnetwork pvr, so I don't really need the DVR function on it, but I can play a recorded show, record it on the computer, and then burn it to a disc in a snap.

I had a progressive scan dvd player on order and after watching a movie on this, I cancelled it. It is fantastic in all respects.

Plus, now I have another remote. That's important

Blade - You might consider making your own screen. Check out the DIY screen section at avsforums. I need a retractable one because of the 3 year old, but after he is older I may turn it up a notch.
Old 09-10-04, 09:08 PM
Uber Member

I would do that but my HT is in our living room, so I'm trying to make this as unobtrusive as possible. A big honking screen on the room's main wall isn't going to work, I think.

I do keep thinking about it though. It would save me a lot of money.

I was also just told that my local Costco will probably be getting the Infocus SP 4805 in a couple weeks. I might upgrade.
Old 09-13-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very nice. Ain't nothin' like having a dedicated HT room. In my temporary living arrangements I made sure one of the two bedrooms we have available for all our stuff is my dedicated media room. Selfish, I think not!
Old 09-13-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

After having it, I don't know how I would live without it.

I just watched T2 in high def and it was amazing. For a picute that large, I was blown away. My 61" tv before was pretty good but can't hold a candle to this.
Old 09-13-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice job Dave!!!

Next time you're using the media player, press & hold Alt key & press Enter key. This will give you full screen with no player controls showing. If you move your mouse, it will show the player controls. Hit Esc to exit full screen & go back to regular player.

Sonic
Old 09-13-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, usually that is how I have it, but I pressed pause for the picture and didn't even think about it
Old 09-14-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Where's the gun rack?
Old 09-14-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

In the pickup. DUH!

And behind the screen. DUHHHHH!

Ond a gunsafe under the couch.

New screen came in today to replace the one in the pics with the screen curl.
Old 09-14-04, 07:31 PM
Uber Member

Costco's got the Infocus 4805 for $1400 now. I'm thinking of exchanging mine.

I'm drilling new holes for the video cable now. Crawled around in the attic for about 30 minutes last night.

Getting there.
Old 09-14-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Blade
Costco's got the Infocus 4805 for $1400 now. I'm thinking of exchanging mine.
Including a screen, right? At least they were in my local Costco. Didn't catch the details of the screen, though.
Old 09-14-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very nice setup! That looks like a great picture with the high def.
It's also cool how you can watch it while you work out.

Good thinking on wiring for the rear center too.
Old 09-14-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dave, very nice setup
Old 09-15-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Just got my replacement screen today. It is much better, but there is still a slight curl, which I think is typical. Once my boys are older and less likely to hurt my precious, I will probably go with a fixed screen.

For buying a dalite screen, I found the best price and service at www.thefinalclick.com

Blade, why the 4805?
Old 09-15-04, 02:15 PM
Uber Member

stevevt, it was an Infocus 76" screen. Same one that came with the 4800.

kvrdave, the 4805 has a 4x colorwheel, so rainbows are supposed to be hard to see; it's a 16x9 projector (as opposed to a 4:3 projector like the X1/4800 are - I'm not sure why that's important except that it measn the 4805's 4:3 image is smaller than the X1/4800's); the fan noise is quieter, it has better connection options (component in is seperate from s-video); and it's supposed to be brighter and look better.

There's also a 95 page thread on it over at AVS (and it's a sticky) so it seems like a popular projector.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.