Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Decent Steering Wheel for the XBOX ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 01:06 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Decent Steering Wheel for the XBOX ?

What with Burnout 3 and Juiced and other great racers, i am tossing up getting a steering wheel for my xbox if a decent one is available

is there anything decent which is reasonably priced ?

cheers
Old 09-09-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've tried...nope. It's a big question mark of why Microsoft (or Logitech) hasn't come out with a decent steering wheel for the Xbox considering it has a plethora of racing games.

I'm hoping something will be coming out around the time Forza Motorsports does, but that may be wishful thinking.

And a steering wheel won't help much in Burnout 3...it's too fast. PGR2 and the upcoming Forza are completely different stories though.
Old 09-09-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think the current wheels are fine, but if you're picky and don't like the ones that are out - don't hold your breath for a good one. I talked to Logitech and MS and neither is going to be making one to your satisfaction.
Old 09-09-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
afaik, no.

there is no true force feedback wheel if that is important as well. i believe w/ the release of Forza, there will be a new wheel, but it also lacks FF - so i lost interest.

there is a thrustmaster wheel (not sure if available in the US) that may be decent. let me know if you're interested and i can dig up the reference.
Old 09-09-04, 03:45 PM
Banned

Old 09-09-04, 03:46 PM
Banned

I've been keeping up with ECCI for a while. I have been drooling of the thought of using it on Xbox games. Their wheel and the Xbox would be a marriage made in heaven. Simply because it has no force feedback whatsoever, and uses a fluid damping system + springs to offer its tension. You can adjust the tension of both the FDS and the springs. From what I have read, this is THE best non-ff wheel you can buy....ANYWHERE! Many people even went from using Logitech's Driving Force Pro to the ECCI wheel and said that the ECCI blew it away, depite the lack of force fedback.

I emailed the guys from ECCI about a year ago and this is the reply I got:

Hello Isamu,

We do have the capability to build an XBox compatible system, and we have done testing with the XBox. There is a very large problem because the XBox and XBox driving titles do not have any special support for high performance driving controllers. In other words, our driving systems can be made to be connected to the XBox, and can be used with the XBox, but the driving experience is poor because the XBox and its software titles are designed for gamepad use only and do not allow for adjustments to the controller type. Although there are often controller selections for driving wheels, the only change that is made by selecting a wheel for the controller type is the re-assignment of the button functions. There is no change in driving model, and the result from this is that the driving experience actually feels much worse as the controller sophistication gets better. There is nothing we can do about this either. This is an issue that Microsoft, and their software developers need to address. At this time we definitely would not recommend spending the money for one of our systems with the intention of using it with an XBox.

Thanks for your inquiry. If you have additional questions let us know.
Now... there ARE people taking matters into their own hands. I ran into a post from a guy who says he accomplished getting a Thrustmaster force feedback to work on the Xbox. Check out the post *HERE* .

I also discussed this in several threads including good one.... *HERE*