Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tivo and Netflix joining forces

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tivo and Netflix joining forces

Well I had the link from msnbc.com, but have lost it, but if you do a search it should be easy to find. The jist of it is that tivo users will be allowed to download any title from netflixs library for a limited amount of time. It sounds like a lot is going on for tivo lately with this and the case they won allowing users to transfer files to other users (still ealry stages as far as legitimate software).
Old 09-07-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if true that sounds pretty cool. as long as i can get OAR versions.
Old 09-07-04, 11:28 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...netflix_tivo_4
Old 09-07-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
wow. hopefully those with subscriptions with both, won't have to pay anything extra. this is fucking fantastic news.
Old 09-07-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
interesting.
Old 09-07-04, 11:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This would only work if you didn't have to pay extra for the movies, otherwise it would just be like pay-per-view, but with long download times.

Also, you most likely won't get any special features.
Old 09-08-04, 12:14 AM

I love this idea! Can't wait to see what they come up with.
Old 09-08-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Suprmallet
This would only work if you didn't have to pay extra for the movies, otherwise it would just be like pay-per-view, but with long download times.

Also, you most likely won't get any special features.
Well, if you don't have both services, you should pay extra. However, if you have both services, you shouldn't have to pay a dime.
Old 09-08-04, 01:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Well, if you don't have both services, you should pay extra. However, if you have both services, you shouldn't have to pay a dime.
Hmm, agreed.
Old 09-08-04, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds interesting. But the problem I see is that the download will take a long time. Even with a fast cable modem connection it could easily take hours.

I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 09-08-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Big Worms
Sounds interesting. But the problem I see is that the download will take a long time. Even with a fast cable modem connection it could easily take hours.

I guess we will have to wait and see.
It could take hours, but if I could download the 3 movies I wanted overnight it would still be a helluva lot faster than Netflix normally is.
Old 09-08-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
what about picture quality.
cant be as good as dvd.
Old 09-08-04, 09:53 AM

Sounds like a good deal for both TiVo and Netflix, but it is not a service that I find too appealing. Especially with my series 1 TiVo that connects via phone line.
Old 09-08-04, 11:34 AM

A movie in DivX format would probably be about 500 - 800 MB. You could probably begin watching it 10 minutes after you order it - if it allows streaming.
Old 09-08-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by shaggybrown
A movie in DivX format would probably be about 500 - 800 MB. You could probably begin watching it 10 minutes after you order it - if it allows streaming.
If they went that small the picture quality would be noticably worse than DVD, and only stereo sound.
Old 09-08-04, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Roto
If they went that small the picture quality would be noticably worse than DVD, and only stereo sound.
I don't know how much of that is true.

According to DivX.com (and I know they would be biased):
"With DivX® video technology, you can compress a VHS tape down to one-hundredth of its original size or a DVD to one-tenth of its size. DivX video compression is so efficient you can fit the entire contents of a DVD on a regular data CD with no perceivable loss in quality"

Also, Stand alone Tivo Series 2 machines do not output Digital sound. The best you can get with them is Dolby Pro-Logic II, which is pretty good in and of itself.
Old 09-08-04, 01:41 PM

I don't mind the download time, i imagine most people who deal with Netflix aren't going to mind it either. Waiting 6 hours to buffer a movie is much better than waiting 3-5 business days for it to be mailed to you.

My concern is selection. I would want to use this to watch TV shows on demand that are available on DVD. Babylon 5, Firefly, 24, Six Feet Under. That's my current interest in Netflix (which i haven't used yet) But i'm pretty sure something like this isn't feasible due to copyrights and whatnot. It'll probably just end up being movies that are available on pay-per-view anyway.
Old 09-08-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I don't mind the download time, i imagine most people who deal with Netflix aren't going to mind it either. Waiting 6 hours to buffer a movie is much better than waiting 3-5 business days for it to be mailed to you.

My concern is selection. I would want to use this to watch TV shows on demand that are available on DVD. Babylon 5, Firefly, 24, Six Feet Under. That's my current interest in Netflix (which i haven't used yet) But i'm pretty sure something like this isn't feasible due to copyrights and whatnot. It'll probably just end up being movies that are available on pay-per-view anyway.
Yep. That's oneof my main reasons for Netflix as well. Catching up on all the old TV I missed or want to watch again.
Old 09-08-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I wonder if us with Directv are out of this deal. If so that sucks.
Old 09-08-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts
about the DirecTIVOs... probably. One of the reasons TIVO's stock was failing was because much of their customer base was due to the DirecTV connection, and the rumor was that DirecTV was trying to create their own DVR to replace their TIVO contract once it was up. This merger (or even the hints of one a couple of days ago) helped both Netflix and TIVO stock.

Sounds like a cool idea, but the major caveat would be the studios releasing their movies to be downloaded like that without stricter copyright protection than current laws allow. I haven't read the article linked above, so they may have addressed this. Also, it seems like a huge undertaking... it's not like either of the businesses have experience encoding and digitally distributing movies. Still, if it helps TIVO compete (and I still have no idea why no cable company is willing to partner with them, instead of coming up with their own technology), I'm all for it.
Old 09-09-04, 09:33 AM

Just this weekend I was bitching about why, in this day and age, can't I see whatever movie I want on demand? This sounds like the perfect solution to that but I see so many problems with it...

1) TiVo is not capable of producing high resolution or Dolby Digital sound
2) I can't see the MPAA going along with this
3) I can't see Comcast or other ISPs allowing this kind of traffic on their networks

If this does happen in an unadulterated form, this may be as big a revolution as TiVo itself was. I can even imagine movie piracy going down because people who copy/download movies wont think they have to collect all the movies they think they may ever want to see (even if they never watch them) just so they have them available when they do want to watch them - Yes, I do speak from experience Having the Netflix library available on demand solves that issue.
Old 09-09-04, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Strafe

3) I can't see Comcast or other ISPs allowing this kind of traffic on their networks
Exactly!
Old 09-09-04, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by neiname
It could take hours, but if I could download the 3 movies I wanted overnight it would still be a helluva lot faster than Netflix normally is.
If they implement the Netflix queue idea, the next movie in your queue could be pre-downloaded but you will only have access to it once you delete something on your machine. Instant access! As long as you dont change things around in your queue at the last minute.