Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Help ID'ing a song by The Alarm

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been watching Bands Reunited on VH1 and there's an ad for a contest in which you can win a trip to London to go see The Alarm in concert. There's a song by The Alarm playing in the background and I have no idea what it is (and I can't hear any lyrics during the quick snippet they play either). If anyone knows what it is, please let me know. I'm quickly discovering The Alarm had alot of great songs.
Old 09-07-04, 08:15 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Need Help ID'ing a song by The Alarm

Originally posted by Cardiff Giant
...I'm quickly discovering The Alarm had alot of great songs.
No doubt about that. Make certain to find their album Strength. I love every track on it!
Old 09-07-04, 11:00 AM

I haven't seen it, but two of their big hits that I could imagine being played in a commercial are "Rain in the Summertime" or "Sold Me Down the River."
Old 09-07-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the ideas but it's not Sold Me Down The River or Rain In the Summertime.
The only way I can describe the guitar part is sounding almost like bagpipes, almost like a Big Country song. (if I didn't know that it was a song by the Alarm, I'd have guessed it was a Big Country song). Maybe I can find the commercial online somewhere.
It's funny I'd never really heard of the Alarm until I got XM radio. I listen to these two stations, Fred and Lucy, and they play alot of great stuff I've never heard before including stuff by the Alarm.
Old 09-07-04, 04:34 PM

The only song I ever heard from The Alarm growing up was The Stand. Really good tune, and you're right, now that I think about it, they do sound similar to Big Country.
Old 09-07-04, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe no one's mentioned "68 Guns". It kicks ass.
Old 09-07-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figured it out. It's off their new album, it's the first track called "Come Home". I didn't even think that it could be one of the new songs until a minute ago.
I still think nothing beat the time when I was having a crappy day at work and the Alarm came on XM with that "Working Man Blues" (not sure of the official title) song. Nothing fit the mood better than that song and while I've not heard the album, I heard the song Strentgh on XM and immediately bought it off iTunes when I got home from work that day. It's a very powerful song.