Reload this Page >

NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-05-04, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome game, but the things that are bugging me are the lack of a NASCAR Thunder 2004-style create-a-driver feature and that a few tracks are missing -- Pocono and Kentucky chief among them.

However, the choice of the series almost makes up for it. The modifieds are a hoot!
Old 09-05-04, 09:49 PM

For anyone intrested I noticed that Wal-Mart's version of the game comes with 2 exclusive tracks and codes.
Old 09-05-04, 11:33 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

for xbox?
Old 09-06-04, 11:29 AM

I tried setting it to the second difficulty level and did the entire modified series. Never placed higher than sixth. No way I could have been a hero , too squirrley. Trying again on the default easy difficulty now seems to be too easy. Too many assists.

Played online though, lots of fun.

Graphics are still way to PS2ish. Too many cars on screen for them to clean this up I guess. I wish Sega would make a $20 Nascar game for the Xbox!
Old 09-06-04, 09:14 PM

I am getting a ton of "Dirty Disc Errors", anyone else?
Old 09-06-04, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ginsu
I tried setting it to the second difficulty level and did the entire modified series. Never placed higher than sixth.
I won the championship in normal mode. Not that I'm bragging...

No way I could have been a hero , too squirrley. Trying again on the default easy difficulty now seems to be too easy. Too many assists.
I don't use assists. The trick is to test different setups at all the tracks and not overdrive the track. Follow the CPU competitors and take hints. Practice, Grasshopper.

Played online though, lots of fun.
I haven't tried that yet.

Graphics are still way to PS2ish. Too many cars on screen for them to clean this up I guess. I wish Sega would make a $20 Nascar game for the Xbox!
I think they're as good as the previous game, which was pretty darn good.
Old 09-06-04, 09:32 PM
Banned

I am getting a ton of "Dirty Disc Errors", anyone else?

No. Perhaps your machine needs cleaned.
Old 09-07-04, 01:46 AM

I think that "Normal" is the default difficulty. It is too easy. Take it up to veteran. That is where I started the game. If you are playing career on Normal you are getting lots of assists. Make a new character and read the fine print.

This is the only game out of my collection that gives me the constant DDE's. It took me 6 tries on one particular race to get it finished. Made me really mad.

The graphics are BETTER than last year. In fact the whole game is.
However, not to start an argument or anything but these graphics are so dang soft, cloudy and fuzzy. There are times that the game looks good. But the jaggies and soft filter ruin the overall package. I popped in some of my other racers, ToCA2, PGR2, and Rallisport 2 all look waaaaaay better. Clean and clear.

Another problem is you cant stay in an online lobby with the same people. After every race it dumps you all the way out to the Xbox live menu. That is really lame.

All that being said it does have a lot of fun in it. But I am not sure I want to keep it.

Burnout 3 may make up for it.
Old 09-07-04, 05:18 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

hey ginsu, do you still play alot on live, I remember when we both had PGR2 before the release date and would play for 6,7 hours a night , if you still play I might renew my subscription, to get back on LIVe( I stop because there was too many kids playing, but I am getting Mascar, and Burnout 3, and I just got SRS, so let me know, and I will sign back up to play
Old 09-07-04, 08:45 AM

Yeah I am still on. I am currently playing a lot of NFL2k5, NHL2K5, Rainbow 6 and soon to be Burnout 3.

I may get rid of Nascar soon though, still un-decided.

I still play PGR2 also, but it does seem to have a lot of foul mouthed little nose miners online. Sometimes its best to just leave the headset off.
Old 09-07-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well..I'm playing the Fight to the Top mode at the moment (still in Featherlite) and have remained neutral despite making a few enemies (one of whom cost me a top five finish with a nicely timed bump!!).

So far I'm likeing it, too bad there's no system link play (no L!ve for me).
Old 09-16-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've worked my way up to my first couple of races in the Busch series and I'm having a blast. Game-play is superb, the ally/rival feature is much better than last year. AI seems much improved, the car in front will actually try to stay in line with you when you are working together and drafting. If you stay behind an ally and don't try to force the issue you can work your way up through traffic fairly easily. Going three-wide and getting caught in the middle at Daytona is a bit dicey, though. You just know something bad there is going to happen.

I can live with the graphics. Once I get to racing I get so involved that I don't have the opportunity to look around much. A lot of processing power is being used with the AI and getting all of the cars on the track. I wish they had a better replay feature. That seems about the only thing this game is really lacking.