Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New godfather set?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-04, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New godfather set?

When is this coming out with the new sound and stuff. Sorry if this was posted I looked and couldnt find it. I just am anticipating this release and hope its before xmas.
Old 09-03-04, 02:40 PM

I haven't heard a word about this at all...but the current set is fine enough for me, the Next Godfather series I'll purchase will be on High Definition
Old 09-03-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they are just releasing the current dvds individually now. That is all and a shame. I would LOVE for the original mono mixes for part 1(& 2) to be included on a rerelease.
Old 09-03-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry man, you'll just have to keep anticipating... This is not in the works. It had 1) a price drop and will be having 2) individual releases of Parts II and III, just like the individual release of the original. No new transfers, same discs as currently available.

Martin Blythe was the Paramount rep who posted here about Lowry Digital doing a clean up on The Godfather. He later stated that he was misinformed and that there would be no remaster of The Godfather.

But it needs one.
Old 09-03-04, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Sorry man, you'll just have to keep anticipating... This is not in the works. It had 1) a price drop and will be having 2) individual releases of Parts II and III, just like the individual release of the original. No new transfers, same discs as currently available.

Martin Blythe was the Paramount rep who posted here about Lowry Digital doing a clean up on The Godfather. He later stated that he was misinformed and that there would be no remaster of The Godfather.

But it needs one.
Funny you mention that because on Amazon.com in one of the Listomanias, someone's got listed the movies remastered by Lowry Digital, and the Godfather set is listed.

I recently bought the original Godfather for less than $10 and the transfer looks fairly good, but one quick scene near the beginning is dark and extremely grainy, something akin to a really bad VHS transfer.
Old 09-03-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Remember, the print itself is in horrific shape. There is some doubt whether a proper restoration could even be made at all.
Old 09-03-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really?
That sucks. I always felt that it didn't look as well as it should, especially being a film often regarded as one of the greatest ever.
Old 09-03-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Film stocks in usage in the 70s have proven to be highly volatile, and degrade at a much faster rate than those before or since. The original film negative for The Godfather is reportedly in pretty lousy shape.

That said, Lowry could probably still make a pretty good DVD out of it, because their digital clean-up work is done entirely in the video realm, not on film.
Old 09-04-04, 12:10 AM

Don't give the studios excuses to squeeze more money out of us.

Knowing the marketing guys, they are probably going come out with a couple more releases.
Old 09-04-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Funny thing is, I think Godfather looks far better than Part III's transfer. II is great, IMO and I isn't bad for its age, III is disappointing given its relitively new age.
Old 09-04-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Willh51
Funny thing is, I think Godfather looks far better than Part III's transfer. II is great, IMO and I isn't bad for its age, III is disappointing given its relitively new age.
That's what I have been arguing since the boxset came out initially! People keep using this excuse that the original elements are bad but they never seem to be able to explain why the third film was as bad or worse then the first two! I was VERY pissed when I saw the quality of the films and it is NOT a problem with bad original elements as there have been some films that have had horrible original elements that looked outstanding when restored. This boxset was simply a matter of a studio to cheap and lazy to do an extensive restoration of some of the most classic films ever made! I also am ETREMELY disappointed with Coppala for OK'ing the release of these very sub-par DVD's!
Old 09-04-04, 11:06 PM
Banned

The truth has to be like this.
In every job there are people who do half-assed jobs, so when it came time to doing THE GODFATHER movies on dvd they must have handed the job to some lazy sh#t.
Old 09-04-04, 11:11 PM
Suspended

my godfather set is good enough my only complaint is the package. i hate those kind of packages.. i rathe have a digipack but than again it might look cheesy with the godfather movies lol
Old 09-05-04, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only thing I'd ever get is rebuy a re-released PART 3 with that damn brightness thing fixed on it. What a joke.
Old 02-27-06, 04:45 PM
Banned

Another useless re-release; in order to promote the new Godfather videogame, Paramount is re-releasing the Godfather Collection with an exclusive disc, according to davisdvd.com: More info about this useless double dip here:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html
Old 02-27-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what is the MSRP? Is the box the same, with a disc added in, or will we finally see some keep cases
Old 02-27-06, 05:54 PM

I'm glad this thread's been bumped, as I had been wondering about the supposed cleanup of the first Godfather, as written in the New York Times a few years ago. Pity.

Now I know why Martin Scorsese was so adamant about improving color filmstocks 25 years ago.
Old 02-27-06, 06:08 PM
Banned

Film restorationist Robert A. Harris has said that the film looks fine for it's age and that restoring it would be unnecessary, and that's on top of the fact that the film transfer was produced by American Zoetrope, Francis Ford Coppola's own company. The film is 34 years old, it's never going to look like it was shot on Hi-Def video, nor should it. If you want a film that will show off the picture quality of your huge 16x9 television you should choose the latest summer blockbuster, not "The Godfather".
Old 02-27-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
what is the MSRP? Is the box the same, with a disc added in, or will we finally see some keep cases
I don't know, but I don't really care that much. I would assume they will ditch the paper cases, and make them either slim or keep cases. I have the original Godfather box set, it's a very nice set, and I am not going to double dip because of some stupid bonus disc. Paramount is really going for the $green$ here. Shame.
Old 02-27-06, 06:20 PM
Banned

I personally wouldn't expect anything but the exact same box set with this bonus disc in a paper sleeve shrinkwrapped to it. They could change the packaging to keepcases or slimcases but I don't think that's too likely. As for this additional bonus content, it doesn't bother me for many reasons:

#1: It's all game-related, there's no additional content that deals with the films

#2: I've had my box set for nearly four and a half years. Even if there *was* substantial new material I've got my money's worth in that time.

#3: The material is promotional, meaning that there's a reasonable chance that Paramount and/or EA Games would send you the disc if you ask them for it.
Old 02-27-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That news story makes it sound like the only new material will be information about the video game. I didn't see any new movie related bonus material there. That makes it twice as easy to not double dip on.
Old 02-27-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could care less about game-related content. Paramount is not even trying to get my money, for if thery were the bonus disc would have to do with the films themselves.
Old 02-27-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the new Underworld Unrated Extended SE that came out with the U:Evolution bonus disc. Those discs ARE great for frisbee and skipping on water, though.
Old 02-27-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the packaging gonna be different?
Old 02-27-06, 10:35 PM

i'm not buying it until i see it on HD-DVD or BLU-RAY, and until i know the winner of the two.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.