Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Wax or Friday the 13 Pt 3 in 3D??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will these classics EVER be released in 3D on DVD???
Old 09-02-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't say anything about "House of Wax" but considering Paramounts History with the "Friday the 13th" films and the Box Set coming out in next month, I would say the chances of seeing "Friday the 13th part 3" in 3D before (and if) HD-DVD or Blue Ray rockets off is a lesser chance than seeing the Deleted Scenes of "Twin Peaks FWWM" on a legit Region 1 Disc.
Old 09-02-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The technology is now available to do it, but no once seems to want to. I'm not sure how much the cost of doing a 3D transfer is, but something is keeping companies like Warner and Universal from doing them.

Sucks if you ask me. I would gladly pay extra for a quality 3D version of Creature, Dial M for Murder or House of Wax.
Old 09-02-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both of these were officially released 15 years ago in Japan on VHD video disc in field sequential 3-D. Several others as well, like DIAL M FOR MURDER and most of the 3-D movies released in the 1980's. Bootlegs of these are everywhere, yet the studios refuse to put out new official 3-D DVDs. You think they'd want to make the money themselves!

Me, I've got the VHD discs and have been legally watching both of these in 3-D in my living room for years...the effect is darn good too, but the Japanese subtitles I could live without!

Field sequential isn't perfect, and the glasses do cost about $30 a pair, so they hesitate. I don't see why, since they could always include the flat version in the package as well for those who don't have the equipment.

No, you don't want to see inferior down converted versions in the red/blue format, either. Those always look horrible and are an insult to the original 3-D versions.

If you want to see these in 3-D, track down the VHD versions. They are the closest thing to seeing the original polarized 3-D versions of the movies in a theatre.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 09-02-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 04:36 PM
mxv

I saw a bunch of those 3D DVDs on ebay a few days ago including Creature From the Black Lagoon, Friday the 13th 3, and House of Wax, all movies I'd love to see in 3D. They require some electronic 3d gimmick glasses to work however. Anyone have these and can tell me if it is worth it?
Old 09-02-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See my post above and judge for yourself. The 3-D effect is quote good, but the DVDs you saw are not legit.

Glasses and 3-D systems start at about $30. Nothing complicated, just a little box that you connect between your VCR/DVD and your TV. Wireless glasses run a little more, but are recommended for real fans. Excellent depth and effects with material shot in 3-D. BEWARE of flat movies supposedly converted to 3-D, this is a racket, doesn't work at all.
Old 09-02-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just see House of Wax in a real theater. There were a lot of 3-D revivals of the film not too long ago (earlier this year, in fact).
Old 09-02-04, 05:02 PM

I thought about this, but the major drawback I see is it's not current with todays technology. With component and DVI becoming the norm for DVD, I can't see watching it through a black box connected to a VCR on a 57" widescreen tv.

I'm not saying the majority of homes have big screen tvs, just that there might not be the incentive for companies in general right now if the technology will only be as good as a VCR.
Old 09-02-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, they didn't exactly jump at the chance to put these out back in the VHS days, either.

Patrick is correct, seeing HOUSE OF WAX in the original dual projector polarized 3-D is amazing. I saw it and 34 (!) other 3-D features from the fifties (not to mention lots of 3-D cartoons and short subjects) last year at the World 3-D Film Expo in L.A.

Word is there will be more to come.