Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Updating from a dinosaur speaker system.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want 5.1 plain and simple. I am updating from a 5 or so year old dinosaur. A sony SA-VA15. It provides excellent base, but only passable "emulated surround". . I'm ready to start experiencing true 5.1 sound in my movies at home.

THE TV'S GREAT, JUST NEED ADVICE ON SPEAKERS

Since I have a great Panny TV, how's this one?

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=91691&m=0

I really don't mind spending up to $400 but all I really want is BASE that is as good as my current system. Ability to go just as loud as my current system, most importantly CLEAR 5.1 sound. How about this budget one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...876918-0523917

Please, I am ready. And I need advice from the pro's who've been enjoying 5.1 for years. I've seen 5.1 recievers for $200. Do I need to buy one of those too? Help, I'm completely in the dark.

Last edited by Teremei; 09-02-04 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-02-04, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Go with the Onkyo HTIB for $400-$500. Excellent all around system for the money.
Old 09-02-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't get a HTIB then yeah, you'd need to get all 5.1 speakers and a receiver for them. The Onkyo will sound OK and be well under the price if you were to do it all seperately.
Old 09-02-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can you use your exisiting speakers? Just buy a nice receiver...
Old 09-02-04, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
Can you use your exisiting speakers? Just buy a nice receiver...
I don't know. They are over 5 years old and I don't know if they are even 5.1 ready. There are only 2 front and 2 back speakers, they are not 5.1 ready I do not think. .

Oh I see what you guys are talking about now. HTIB means home theater in a box and if I don't buy a HTIB I'll have to buy the speakers and then the reciever for 5.1

Well is this what you are talking about DVD Josh?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures

That Panny 5.1 system was $300 and the panny 5.1 reciever was $200 so I don't see how that would be more expensive than the onyo or whatever it was HTIB.

Last edited by Teremei; 09-02-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speakers aren't "5.1 ready." They're just speakers. It looks like you would need to add a center channel speaker and that's it. The subwoofer (the .1) must be built into the front left and right speakers, judging by their size.

That said, I've never been impressed with Sony's speakers (and I'm a fan of other Sony products).

It would help to know more about your equipment. Do you have a separate DVD player that you like? A "home-theater-in-a-box" or HTIB) includes a DVD player and receiver all in one box, so you'd be replacing your DVD player. You might want to consider a nice receiver and separate 5.1 speaker package, but you'll go over your $400 limit (although it'll be worth it).

If you want to go with an HTIB, I second the Onkyo recommendation.
Old 09-02-04, 05:51 PM

I can replace my DVD player because I wouldn't mind a progressive scan with component or s-video cables. My DVD player has none of that.

The one thing about my current speakers is that the rear speakers are so quite I wouldn't want to keep them. Or maybe if I got a reciever I'd beable to boost them up a little?

Anyway thanks for the advice. I'm going to see if Fry's, Best Buy's, or Circuit City has Onkyo or something simular. But is it okay to put that subwoofer behind the TV? As you see from my picture it wouldn't really look good in front.
Old 09-02-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your current DVD player does not have progressive scan or component out, then you definitely need to replace it. You aren't getting your money's worth out of that widescreen HDTV otherwise.
Old 09-02-04, 11:23 PM

Ok I got a $150 toshibi 5 disc Progressive scan and $60 component cables. .

BTW I got a $500 Yamaha speaker system with audio reciever and speakers. .

Ok so I connected my DVD player to the TV with component cables. But the picture is red! Someone help!

Also since I have an audio reciever the guy sold me some optical audio cable and I connected that straight from the DVD to the audio reciever. Am I correct so far?
Old 09-03-04, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Teremei

Also since I have an audio reciever the guy sold me some optical audio cable and I connected that straight from the DVD to the audio reciever. Am I correct so far?
That's correct. Also to make sure the DVD player audio setting is set to digital (if it doesn't do it automatically).
Old 09-03-04, 04:16 AM

Ok I will check that thanks, out of curiosity what am I not going to hear if it's not set to digital??

By the way, I got the red color to go away on my DVD picture. Funny thing is I thought maybe the DVD player hookups were faulty. So I switched to regular ole RBY cables. Then all of a sudden my standard picture went black for some reason I can not figure. I re-inserted the component cables from the DVD to the TV again, and boom, no red picture, component cables suddenly magically worked. .

This is what I ended up getting. .

Yamaha HTR-5740 6.1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver comes with 6 speakers and a subwoofer

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures

Toshiba SD-6915 5-Disc Progressive-Scan DVD Player

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=172282

The reviews aren't that great for this one. But I wanted a progressive scan 5 disc changer and it was either this at $140 or a Sony at $150. Just decided upon this. Can a buggy DVD player cause frame rate problems in playback? Because it's something I might have noticed.

Last edited by Teremei; 09-03-04 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

5.1 sound....

Your not using the red and white audio outputs from your DVD player? You should not be using those....
Old 09-03-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also make sure your DVD player is set to output a 16:9 picture, and that progressive scan is turned on. Make sure your TV is set to display a progressive picture, and that the aspect ratio is set correctly (you'll have to read the Panny's manual).
Old 09-03-04, 11:21 PM

My DVD player is set to 16:9 but I have not figured out how to check if the DVD player and TV are set to Progressive. Are you sure every TV and DVD player have an option to set it to "progressive scan?"

I have another slight problem. . Ok My DVD is connected to the audio reciever with optical audio cable only. It sounds great so far (installing larger wires later), but it was ok for LOTR and star wars. But I'm watching spider man, and during quite scenes, white noise starts to come out and slowly gets louder and louder until the white noise resets back to being quite again, then gets louder all over again. .

Any ideas on this white noise?
Old 09-04-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Teremei
My DVD player is set to 16:9 but I have not figured out how to check if the DVD player and TV are set to Progressive. Are you sure every TV and DVD player have an option to set it to "progressive scan?"
I know for sure DVD players do. At some point you're going to have to break down and crack open the owner's manual and read it.

I have another slight problem. . Ok My DVD is connected to the audio reciever with optical audio cable only. It sounds great so far (installing larger wires later)
What do you mean by "larger wires"? An optical cable is an optical cable. That's all you need audio-wise running between the DVD player and receiver.

It sounds like you're pretty confused when it comes to even the basics of home theater. You probably should read the Hardware FAQ at the top of this forum area to get a handle on some of it.
Old 09-04-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
If the speakers are good, just add what you need. I am still using 7 year old Boston Accoustic THX certified speakers. Not great by today's standards, but still fantastic speakers.
Old 09-04-04, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I know for sure DVD players do. At some point you're going to have to break down and crack open the owner's manual and read it.

What do you mean by "larger wires"? An optical cable is an optical cable. That's all you need audio-wise running between the DVD player and receiver.

It sounds like you're pretty confused when it comes to even the basics of home theater. You probably should read the Hardware FAQ at the top of this forum area to get a handle on some of it.
I am pretty confused, but not clear either. I mean speaker wires. The optical connection is just that a connection. I mean I bought thicker speaker wires I will be replacings the smaller speaker wires once I install the speakers on my wall.

Anyway, Yes I am reading my DVD player manual. And beleive it or not, there is nothing about being able to set it to "progressive scan". . You'd think since it's a progressive scan DVD player that that would be the default.
Old 09-04-04, 04:17 PM

Ok I'm heading back to best buy to first off return that sucky DVD player (just scroll upward to where I show which DVD player I bought) and to ask them for help concerning the white noise during quite moments and the lack of picture quality difference using component video cables. .

My stupid DVD player manual says nothing about it. And my TV does have a video source labeled "component 1" and "component 2" and that's where I connected the component cables. But as far as anything being in the manual about "progressive scan mode". . Nothing.

I did read the faq here and both manuals, quite thoroughly too. And wasn't able to find help. It's more along the lines of troubleshooting the situation I'm in not a simple begginers guide as I already have everything hooked up properly. So I wouldn't say I'm completely confused. Just confused about selecting progressive scan mode on my TV and DVD and as to that white noise in the speakers during quite moments.

Anyways, I really need help now. Not fingers pointing to faqs and owners manuals. So I'm heading to best buy for some one on one.